Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Nancy and I have been there twice... if we are at the same place.

It is on the south side of the highway. Large open grassy area among trees. You would not know it was there, other than the unmarked turnout. There "might" be an aspen tree with some initials. Some large rocks on the east side. Elk hunters use it as a hunter's camp. Nice place and gets you prepared for the drive down the east side at sunrise.

The road may have a a prefix A after the highway number. Been over ten years ago. Was worth the over night tent camping that day. I may have to pull out my Wyoming Atlas to see if I can do better... but why make it too easy to find.
Actually, this describes numerous spots. Elgin Park (FR 22) has many large meadows, elk, aspen, RV's, ATV's, hunters, mountain lion, etc. It is the most obvious, and most used area near Buffalo. Pole Creek Road (FR 31) has some great single rig areas, and one large meadow area. It's a little less obvious, but it's a main road, so you could stumble across some good areas. The Muddy Guard area, off of Crazy Woman Creek Road (FR 33) breaks off into some meadows (good elk spot). Circle Park (FR 20) has some nice meadows. There are many more that fit the description.

I've got some more remote, less used areas that are less well known. You can see my Airstream on Google Earth at 44°13.084' N, 106°53.081' W.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Some BLM areas in South Dakota outside the Black Hills are covered with prickly pear and severe in some areas. Fairburn, SD are where the Fairburn Agates "use to be found". Some places in Eastern Wyoming... the same. Infested with them. They are more elevation sensitive from my experience to be that prolific. So keep in the higher country around the Black Hills. This is Brent's neck of the woods... Me, too much effort to find those small obscure National Forest places to slip into.
Prickly Pear is pretty much everywhere. However, it's usually only really bad where there is a lot of sheep grazing. It's definitely something to consider if your dog doesn't pay close attention to where it's stepping. Our dog has learned to avoid it, but some dogs never learn.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We are also bringing a "genny" And are willing to share power for gas$ or fly fishing guide service or other agreeable commodities.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Maggie in Post #19 always catches me when I am teasing her.

Maggie, Brent and I have not explained very well HOW the 2016 Wyoming Adventure even got started and expanded beyond our expectations of interest.

Maggie and Brent are the organized members. Maggie keeps a record of who, how many, space needed for their trailer, RV, tent or vehicle and contact information.

Brent checks the map(s) to make sure that these places exist. Thank you Thalweg. Brent's wife, Connie... makes sure that Brent knows these places exist. A real team effort.

Nancy and myself love to camp out in our Airstream. We enjoy it more than a Cruise, more than another trip to Easter Island, Europe or South America. It keeps us bonded with our two Blue Heelers and our relationship going in the right direction and she is an excellent back country cook. Our State Atlas within the blank edge borders have camp sites, locations, elevations and what we thought of the place... eight years ago, or last year.

Those of you who find what the five of us like to do, are always welcome to the limited options that three different personalities can offer to each and everyone of you. After a few days, we are one family in the woods or prairies, not knowing what to expect while exploring. Soon this becomes routine and the group magic takes over.

After a week to ten days... YOU will be glad to go back home, eventually to view your photographs of places tucked away onto a map. You need to reflect what has just happened to your idea of camping! It will change you forever...

There is a lot of background work in just a simple trip as Quemado, New Mexico in 2015. Weather changed our camping location to Plan 2 and went smoothly and much better than expected. There are memories of this trip that make me grin, recalling the mud, the excitement of those who actually found some of the nicest New Mexico Chalcedony Rosettes I have witnessed found in this area. This trip was a success because of those who went and the four people (Brent, Connie, Maggie, Nancy) I depend on keeping me aware that... well, of something or other that escapes me.

There are a several KINDS of Boondocking Trips possible. Pre-planned and not.

Pre-planned:

Planned areas in advance, with expectations of.. what to expect. This was 2015 Quemado, New Mexico and the future August 2016 Wyoming Adventure. Brent has already done some wonderful map work, total daily mileages... and I did some "wonderful recall of the places" to camp. Maggie checking the member list of those attending Wyoming, and even Quemado 2015 "most" were found to still be at the camp site when leaving Quemado. I think we accounted for everyone coming out... or was it in. Yes, we did. Ten to fifteen trailer limits on these trips.

Un-planned:

Unplanned camp sites in a general area. This is much more difficult. I do not know if anyone has done this before, but Nancy and I do it on every trip. Nothing is planned, other than a general direction and area of intent. A three to six trailer limit is a comfortable compromise.

This Thread is actually a Boondocking Planned in Advance ten day Adventure for ten to fifteen trailers for most likely 2017.

There could be UN Planned smaller trips to scout out some areas that have great potential for 2016, not recorded on my map Atlas. Just has a X, marks the spot and a comment or two.

Camp Probing:
Then some "camp probing" smaller groups to get out and put it together in 2016. Sometimes pleasant, sometimes not. Camped out in the Oil Patch among sage brush for the evening, OR a gem of a location for a future Boondocking Adventure.

I am sure that Brent and I will toss out some ideas while we are on the Wyoming Trip and then have Maggie do all of the important details, whatever details that might be found to exist onto a scrap of paper found hanging in a bush.

Colorado is a sure winner. Another Wyoming. Utah has promising camping, but the monsoons turn it to red mud and flash flooding. Nevada and ghost towns everywhere. New Mexico... always is a wonderful State for Boondocking.

National Parks are not on MY short list of Boondocking sites. Although Boondocking "near National Parks", as a Base Camp, does work very well.

This is as short as I could make this explanation. When something is being put together, anyone who is interested will know far in advance who may want to come.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Ray has neglected to mention real reason that the Quemado trip was so successful, and why the Wyoming trip is coming together so nicely. That being the fact that Ray is a fun, organized, smart, and an engaging personality. And Nancy is simply brilliant and one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. Go on a trip with them, and you'll want to return again and again.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes....I headed out for that trip because of Ray, who I felt clearly would safely lead us on an adventure, and that he did.

The rest of the group made the trip special, too, Brent, so don't sell yourself and them short.

Is it August yet?

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Mrprez, USFS 35 doesn't ring a bell, and I can't find it on my map. We'll meet on the Wyoming trip in August. We'll swap stories then.
Went back and checked, it's 31 or Lost Cabin Rd. It loops off of 16 but the western intersection is closer to the meadow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bu...060d1905d53f25

John
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
If anyone on this trip will be extending it into September, we'd like to tag along. We will be fully outfitted with solar by then and ready to "learn" boondocking with other learners and experts. September works for us because we're due at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta rally on the 29th. We'll only make one trip west from Cincinnati this year!

P.S. Hi Lucius and Danielle. We met you at Alumaflamingo last year!
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Went back and checked, it's 31 or Lost Cabin Rd. It loops off of 16 but the western intersection is closer to the meadow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bu...060d1905d53f25

John
Ahhh yes John. That makes more sense. I know the meadow well. It's a beautiful area, but well used. If you head up the road further, there are also some great "stealthy" spots, but they take a little reconnaissance to find.

I don't know where Google Maps gets the name Lost Creek Road. It's more commonly called, and signed, "Pole Creek Road". We were up there snowshoeing a few weeks ago.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Thalweg Post #21 -- dang, there you are, but my version of Google Earth (Old?) shows you at 44*13'05.04 N, 106*53'04.86 W; 7905 Ft.Elevation -- minutes and seconds rather than decimals.

Once again, Ray outdoes us all in creating great threads.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Does getting a campsite at fort wilderness at Disney and not using the hookups count as boondocking? Just thinkin!?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Thalweg Post #21 -- dang, there you are, but my version of Google Earth (Old?) shows you at 44*13'05.04 N, 106*53'04.86 W; 7905 Ft.Elevation -- minutes and seconds rather than decimals.

Once again, Ray outdoes us all in creating great threads.
Ice Man,
In Google Earth, you can change the coordinate system under: Tools - Options. I don't think we've established a standardized coordinate system for AirForums. I post stuff in Decimal Degrees because that's what I've seen most people do here. However, I have to convert my stuff to get to that because I usually use UTM's (Universal Transverse Mercator). I do GIS stuff at work, and our stuff is all UTM's. Of coarse none of this really matters. It'll all get you to the same place.

There are lots of coordinate converters on the internet that'll get you whatever you like. Just Google: Coordinate Converter.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Ahhh yes John. That makes more sense. I know the meadow well. It's a beautiful area, but well used. If you head up the road further, there are also some great "stealthy" spots, but they take a little reconnaissance to find.

I don't know where Google Maps gets the name Lost Creek Road. It's more commonly called, and signed, "Pole Creek Road". We were up there snowshoeing a few weeks ago.
Yep, I didn't recall the sign saying Lost Cabin Rd either. If you follow the road far enough it then changes to Pole Creek Rd for awhile and back to Lost Cabin later on. The meadow is well used by OHV types but we found them to be well behaved. When we go back we'll look for another spot a bit stealthier. There is no shortage of great spots in the area.

John
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Ten day Boondocking Dream trip

Ray, Brent, Maggie,
Any chance in tagging along with your group for this 2017 trip?
We live in the Boston area are excited about traveling "out west"!
We have solar and two Honda 2000's and would be able to contribute
to the "Power Grid"
Annie & Bob Beggan
(Tan Son Nhut)
Tan Son Nhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan Son Nhut View Post
Ray, Brent, Maggie,
Any chance in tagging along with your group for this 2017 trip?
We live in the Boston area are excited about traveling "out west"!
We have solar and two Honda 2000's and would be able to contribute
to the "Power Grid"
Annie & Bob Beggan
(Tan Son Nhut)
You've got to promise to regale us with your sailing stories!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Brent can take my locations, place them on a map and get mileages already for the Wyoming Adventure. A magician with a computer.

This information will be on a SECURE government server in Brent's garage for added security, do not ask for a copy.

Colorado High Country will be not be any different in 2017 with information given over time. There is enough Colorado for three separate Adventures, so expect more of this to follow over time. When the time comes, the Airforum is the source of information and binds all of this stuff together.

Annie & Bob: Post onto the 2017 High Country Colorado thread your interest in attending. If there are enough bold individuals interested, there is a good chance of two Adventures of Ten Days, each. You may want to report your trip from Boston... that should be a good one.

Nancy and I are now... leaving Nevada a couple weeks earlier than "planned" to ready ourselves for a fun and exciting Summer. I expect THREE High Country Colorado Adventures, as Colorado like Wyoming... is BIG. IF you flatten Colorado...it is the size of Texas. Wyoming... the same, but for a different kind of experience.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #37
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenfolder View Post
Len n Jeanne,

I love the Swell! It's a great piece of Utah not that many people know about. I do think you mean I-70, not I-80.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Right-- good catch!

In our younger years we also backpacked into Virgin Spring on the San Rafael River and Saddle Horse Canyon (this one 3x-- including one memorable flash flood experience) but now we are old, sedentary, and have an Airstream.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
In our younger years we also backpacked into Virgin Spring on the San Rafael River and Saddle Horse Canyon (this one 3x-- including one memorable flash flood experience) but now we are old, sedentary, and have an Airstream.
Ha! I think my days of "slot canyon with a chance of flash flood" days might be over as well. There are still some pretty amazing canyons in S. Utah with little flash flood possibility. Some wonderful hiking in Grand Staircase Monument.

Stan
Salt Lake city
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:11 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
If anyone on this trip will be extending it into September, we'd like to tag along. We will be fully outfitted with solar by then and ready to "learn" boondocking with other learners and experts. September works for us because we're due at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta rally on the 29th. We'll only make one trip west from Cincinnati this year!

P.S. Hi Lucius and Danielle. We met you at Alumaflamingo last year!
Lucius and Danielle: we're Alexa and Jim

Ray: is there another thread I need to be looking for?

Thanks!
Alexa
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #40
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
If you guys are ever in the SW, let me know. I'm working on a documentary photography project between San Diego, Tuscon, Santa Fe area for the next 18 months or so...

Lots of boondocking planned.

Since I've been a car-camping boondocker for years, having an AS is a dream come true.

Heading to Phoenix from LA tomorrow...I'll boondock somewhere I'm sure.
KimberlyA is offline   Reply With Quote