Old 02-14-2016, 05:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
UTAH... we like the "camp in between Parks" on BLM. No traffic. No tourists... as it is too... remote. Dogs... let them run as they are less likely to fall off a sandstone ridge as yourself having a dizzy spell on a 200 foot drop. Agate... so much that you had better be picky. Petrified wood... exploded everywhere.

You know... it almost sounds too good. Maybe this should be a private event... 10 to 15 trailers. More or less.

Maybe some Trilobites in western Utah, topaz crystals at Topaz Peak... Utah. Just weathering away and getting buried as I type... if it will rain.

Wyoming. Utah. Colorado. New Mexico. Nevada.

These are some of our favorite places. Grandma's Diner in Salina, UT works for us as well.

If we can survive these trips... you will learn to, or not survive and that takes care of that issue.

We can put together a Hit and Miss Boondocking in most any of these States... or the usual "boring".... here is the next camp site. Ho Hummm.

Tents. Trailers. Campers... you are all special. Dogs add to the amusement. If you do not like the remote free camping, you can pack up and travel safely once arriving. Nancy and I do this because we actually do like people, just not wanting to disappoint anyone who thinks we might actually know what we are doing.

If you have not been to Beaver, Utah, good. Or Delta, Utah, even better. Have not explored the northern Utah area as much as Idaho gets in the way. The Salt Flats will eat every bit of aluminum of your Airstream in NW Utah.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
40 days boondocking???

I think not, Fearless Leader.

I'm up for 10-12 days, as was the original plan. After getting re-acclimated to civilization at the KOA in Jackson...where you and Nancy are more than welcome to join us... some of us will be heading to the west coast, and have plans there.

Maggie

Old 02-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Some BLM areas in South Dakota outside the Black Hills are covered with prickly pear and severe in some areas. Fairburn, SD are where the Fairburn Agates "use to be found". Some places in Eastern Wyoming... the same. Infested with them. They are more elevation sensitive from my experience to be that prolific. So keep in the higher country around the Black Hills. This is Brent's neck of the woods... Me, too much effort to find those small obscure National Forest places to slip into.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
40 days boondocking???

I think not, Fearless Leader.

I'm up for 10-12 days, as was the original plan. After getting re-acclimated to civilization at the KOA in Jackson...where you and Nancy are more than welcome to join us... some of us will be heading to the west coast, and have plans there.
Maggie

Do the math Maggie. Ten days Camping. Four locations. 4 x 10= 40

My math is the same as Brent uses for his age. The Quemado Trip. Six days camping. One location. 6 x 1= 6
Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're so funny.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Myself, much like the 2016 Wyoming ten days. Four camp sites work for ten days. Usually a loop in one general area to keep the driving time at a minimum.

Nancy & I know places scattered around, but this year will tag some special spots. We usually do not go back to some places, since there are thousands begging to be discovered. Indian Petroglyphs to just wonderful breath taking view... all works for us.

Ten days, four campsites... equals 40 camp days, doesn't it, Brent? Maggie?

We do not have solar on our latest Airstream. We haul a generator. I am not one of those who cries and whines about a generator being used. Maybe a couple can plug in and pay for our gasoline... sound like a win / win.
Sounds interesting. We want to know more and will follow this thread. We don't have solar either but plan to add a capacity to our battery system soon. We will certainly help with gasoline costs if we can plug in to your generator once in a while.

I know you have a different trip planned for August 2016. Do you have a time frame in mind for the Ten Day Boondocking Dream Trip?
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:

Nancy and I have been there twice... if we are at the same place.

It is on the south side of the highway. Large open grassy area among trees. You would not know it was there, other than the unmarked turnout. There "might" be an aspen tree with some initials. Some large rocks on the east side. Elk hunters use it as a hunter's camp. Nice place and gets you prepared for the drive down the east side at sunrise.

The road may have a a prefix A after the highway number. Been over ten years ago. Was worth the over night tent camping that day. I may have to pull out my Wyoming Atlas to see if I can do better... but why make it too easy to find.
Actually, this describes numerous spots. Elgin Park (FR 22) has many large meadows, elk, aspen, RV's, ATV's, hunters, mountain lion, etc. It is the most obvious, and most used area near Buffalo. Pole Creek Road (FR 31) has some great single rig areas, and one large meadow area. It's a little less obvious, but it's a main road, so you could stumble across some good areas. The Muddy Guard area, off of Crazy Woman Creek Road (FR 33) breaks off into some meadows (good elk spot). Circle Park (FR 20) has some nice meadows. There are many more that fit the description.

I've got some more remote, less used areas that are less well known. You can see my Airstream on Google Earth at 44°13.084' N, 106°53.081' W.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Some BLM areas in South Dakota outside the Black Hills are covered with prickly pear and severe in some areas. Fairburn, SD are where the Fairburn Agates "use to be found". Some places in Eastern Wyoming... the same. Infested with them. They are more elevation sensitive from my experience to be that prolific. So keep in the higher country around the Black Hills. This is Brent's neck of the woods... Me, too much effort to find those small obscure National Forest places to slip into.
Prickly Pear is pretty much everywhere. However, it's usually only really bad where there is a lot of sheep grazing. It's definitely something to consider if your dog doesn't pay close attention to where it's stepping. Our dog has learned to avoid it, but some dogs never learn.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
We are also bringing a "genny" And are willing to share power for gas$ or fly fishing guide service or other agreeable commodities.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Maggie in Post #19 always catches me when I am teasing her.

Maggie, Brent and I have not explained very well HOW the 2016 Wyoming Adventure even got started and expanded beyond our expectations of interest.

Maggie and Brent are the organized members. Maggie keeps a record of who, how many, space needed for their trailer, RV, tent or vehicle and contact information.

Brent checks the map(s) to make sure that these places exist. Thank you Thalweg. Brent's wife, Connie... makes sure that Brent knows these places exist. A real team effort.

Nancy and myself love to camp out in our Airstream. We enjoy it more than a Cruise, more than another trip to Easter Island, Europe or South America. It keeps us bonded with our two Blue Heelers and our relationship going in the right direction and she is an excellent back country cook. Our State Atlas within the blank edge borders have camp sites, locations, elevations and what we thought of the place... eight years ago, or last year.

Those of you who find what the five of us like to do, are always welcome to the limited options that three different personalities can offer to each and everyone of you. After a few days, we are one family in the woods or prairies, not knowing what to expect while exploring. Soon this becomes routine and the group magic takes over.

After a week to ten days... YOU will be glad to go back home, eventually to view your photographs of places tucked away onto a map. You need to reflect what has just happened to your idea of camping! It will change you forever...

There is a lot of background work in just a simple trip as Quemado, New Mexico in 2015. Weather changed our camping location to Plan 2 and went smoothly and much better than expected. There are memories of this trip that make me grin, recalling the mud, the excitement of those who actually found some of the nicest New Mexico Chalcedony Rosettes I have witnessed found in this area. This trip was a success because of those who went and the four people (Brent, Connie, Maggie, Nancy) I depend on keeping me aware that... well, of something or other that escapes me.

There are a several KINDS of Boondocking Trips possible. Pre-planned and not.

Pre-planned:

Planned areas in advance, with expectations of.. what to expect. This was 2015 Quemado, New Mexico and the future August 2016 Wyoming Adventure. Brent has already done some wonderful map work, total daily mileages... and I did some "wonderful recall of the places" to camp. Maggie checking the member list of those attending Wyoming, and even Quemado 2015 "most" were found to still be at the camp site when leaving Quemado. I think we accounted for everyone coming out... or was it in. Yes, we did. Ten to fifteen trailer limits on these trips.

Un-planned:

Unplanned camp sites in a general area. This is much more difficult. I do not know if anyone has done this before, but Nancy and I do it on every trip. Nothing is planned, other than a general direction and area of intent. A three to six trailer limit is a comfortable compromise.

This Thread is actually a Boondocking Planned in Advance ten day Adventure for ten to fifteen trailers for most likely 2017.

There could be UN Planned smaller trips to scout out some areas that have great potential for 2016, not recorded on my map Atlas. Just has a X, marks the spot and a comment or two.

Camp Probing:
Then some "camp probing" smaller groups to get out and put it together in 2016. Sometimes pleasant, sometimes not. Camped out in the Oil Patch among sage brush for the evening, OR a gem of a location for a future Boondocking Adventure.

I am sure that Brent and I will toss out some ideas while we are on the Wyoming Trip and then have Maggie do all of the important details, whatever details that might be found to exist onto a scrap of paper found hanging in a bush.

Colorado is a sure winner. Another Wyoming. Utah has promising camping, but the monsoons turn it to red mud and flash flooding. Nevada and ghost towns everywhere. New Mexico... always is a wonderful State for Boondocking.

National Parks are not on MY short list of Boondocking sites. Although Boondocking "near National Parks", as a Base Camp, does work very well.

This is as short as I could make this explanation. When something is being put together, anyone who is interested will know far in advance who may want to come.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Ray has neglected to mention real reason that the Quemado trip was so successful, and why the Wyoming trip is coming together so nicely. That being the fact that Ray is a fun, organized, smart, and an engaging personality. And Nancy is simply brilliant and one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. Go on a trip with them, and you'll want to return again and again.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes....I headed out for that trip because of Ray, who I felt clearly would safely lead us on an adventure, and that he did.

The rest of the group made the trip special, too, Brent, so don't sell yourself and them short.

Is it August yet?

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Mrprez, USFS 35 doesn't ring a bell, and I can't find it on my map. We'll meet on the Wyoming trip in August. We'll swap stories then.
Went back and checked, it's 31 or Lost Cabin Rd. It loops off of 16 but the western intersection is closer to the meadow.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bu...060d1905d53f25

John
Old 02-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
If anyone on this trip will be extending it into September, we'd like to tag along. We will be fully outfitted with solar by then and ready to "learn" boondocking with other learners and experts. September works for us because we're due at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta rally on the 29th. We'll only make one trip west from Cincinnati this year!

P.S. Hi Lucius and Danielle. We met you at Alumaflamingo last year!