Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Your Ten Day Boondocking Dream Trip...

What if someone in the Rocky Mountain West was following this thread, willing to pack up their trailer and share their prior camp site experiences and teach others to become comfortable in a Base Camp setting?

What if there was a ten day window to accomplish this?

What if the places to explore varied within the 12 months of the year?

What if there was no cost to be among a group of fellow adventurers?

What if YOU had a Western Dream Trip that would require ten days from the first rendezvous to completion.

What is that dream? Where are those places to visit? Why is this important to you?

The Airforum Boondocking Thread has a number of experienced trailer campers among us. They may be willing to step forward and make the efforts required to promote Airstreams, other trailers, tents or wheel barrows... to explore within a comfort zone not possible on your own.

It is better to have asked and failed, than did nothing and succeeded. I am only one that has stepped forward in this respect. Others may be considering doing the same. You accept the risks that go with traveling out of the safety net of paved roads, power lines and lack of cell phone service.

Speak up or let this Thread die quickly to be buried by more important issues like... what is a good toilet paper to use in my trailer? etc..
Old 02-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
So I'm in the beginning of my two-year western boondocking odyssey and I still need to know what is the best toilet paper to use.
KimberlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
If it is for Anywhere, Everywhere... Costco's.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
OK... what about sitting down and discussing "composting toilets".

Come on folks, this is for those with unlimited credit card options.

#1- Hike into the trees and find a spot, shovel and bury method.
#2- The plastic bag inserted into the trailers toilet, discard with your pet waste.
#3- Five gallon bucket. a) with bottom, toilet seat attached, plastic bag, pet waste OR
#4- Five gallon bucket. b) bottom removed, shovel hole, toilet seat, bury.
#5- Service Station that has a restroom... indoors.
#6- Colorado Ghost Town... options #1 to #4

KimberlyA and I understand there are limits some of us go to reach our comfort zone. Mine are rather simple. Think like you are a Neanderthal needing to use the restroom. What would be considered ANY improvement? Now go to Costco.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
What if you had a MENTOR LIKE RAY and NANCY EKLUND? I did and am so very grateful for that experience. Jan and I were somewhat apprehensive of joining with AIRSTREAMERS (shiny bullets) in our Interstate , but we were graciously accepted and included in the New Mexico Quemodo Adventure. With "baited breath" we are looking forward to our next lesson in Wyoming and beyond. Really wish Brent had been able to arrange time so we could begin in June, but realize some people still are working and can't just go anytime. (Lucky us)
As Ray has said, are there any other Mentors out there??? AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Ed... do not go to Tin Cup or St. Elmo, Colorado with "baited breath". The chipmunks will overwhelm you and Jan for more bait than you can provide at 9,000 feet more or less. Thin breath at the best, as I see it.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
What if you had a MENTOR LIKE RAY and NANCY EKLUND? I did and am so very grateful for that experience. Jan and I were somewhat apprehensive of joining with AIRSTREAMERS (shiny bullets) in our Interstate , but we were graciously accepted and included in the New Mexico Quemodo Adventure. With "baited breath" we are looking forward to our next lesson in Wyoming and beyond. Really wish Brent had been able to arrange time so we could begin in June, but realize some people still are working and can't just go anytime. (Lucky us)
As Ray has said, are there any other Mentors out there??? AEW
Ed, come on out to the Bighorns anytime. With a week or two notice, I can almost always swing a 3-4 day weekend. No planning necessary for the Bighorns. We'll just "wing it"
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We like the Big Horns, boondocked up there out of Buffalo last year in a huge meadow off of USFS 35 I believe.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hi Ray,

I'm not quite sure where you're headed with this thread. Are you asking which spots we think should be part of a 10-day trip? Or, are you asking for volunteers/tag alongs to participate in a 10-day trip? I'm interested either way and hope to do some remote camping in NE and SD later this year.

By the way, I prefer Scott Rapid Dissolve.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
We like the Big Horns, boondocked up there out of Buffalo last year in a huge meadow off of USFS 35 I believe.
Mrprez, USFS 35 doesn't ring a bell, and I can't find it on my map. We'll meet on the Wyoming trip in August. We'll swap stories then.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Ray, we've not boondocked at the same site for 10 days, but as old tent-campers with a bunch of jerry cans, a bucket, shovel, ax, and a generator, I think we could manage it.

One of our favourite places is the San Rafael Swell-- that incredibly scenic part of desert Utah you cross on I-80 between Green River and Salina. We prefer the North San Rafael Swell. It is known to locals, notably the ATV crowd, but there are places they can't get to, and lots of cool hikes where you probably won't see anybody. We've camped at the Wedge overlook (nicknamed the Little Grand Canyon,) in a dispersed site in Buckhorn Draw, and in the dry BLM CG at the San Rafael bridge in Buckhorn drawn. I think the BLM still charges $6/night there, so with a seniors pass, it's even more of a steal.

No water at any of these sites. No hookups, Wi-Fi, cell phone service. If you camp at the Wedge or the campground you'll probably have a few neighbours but then many are out there for the same reason you are.

It does get super hot in the summer (we once recorded 107F) and it can snow in the winter, so the shoulder seasons are good times to visit.

We really try to conserve our battery and water: hot tips available. I think we've managed up to 5 days without using the generator.

Why do it? Robert Service said it best:

"It’s the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It’s the stillness that fills me with peace."
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Len n Jeanne,

I love the Swell! It's a great piece of Utah not that many people know about. I do think you mean I-70, not I-80.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 02-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post

Nancy and I have been there twice... if we are at the same place.

It is on the south side of the highway. Large open grassy area among trees. You would not know it was there, other than the unmarked turnout. There "might" be an aspen tree with some initials. Some large rocks on the east side. Elk hunters use it as a hunter's camp. Nice place and gets you prepared for the drive down the east side at sunrise.

The road may have a a prefix A after the highway number. Been over ten years ago. Was worth the over night tent camping that day. I may have to pull out my Wyoming Atlas to see if I can do better... but why make it too easy to find.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Hi Ray,

I'm not quite sure where you're headed with this thread. Are you asking which spots we think should be part of a 10-day trip? Or, are you asking for volunteers/tag alongs to participate in a 10-day trip? I'm interested either way and hope to do some remote camping in NE and SD later this year.

By the way, I prefer Scott Rapid Dissolve.

Myself, much like the 2016 Wyoming ten days. Four camp sites work for ten days. Usually a loop in one general area to keep the driving time at a minimum.

Nancy & I know places scattered around, but this year will tag some special spots. We usually do not go back to some places, since there are thousands begging to be discovered. Indian Petroglyphs to just wonderful breath taking view... all works for us.

Ten days, four campsites... equals 40 camp days, doesn't it, Brent? Maggie?

We do not have solar on our latest Airstream. We haul a generator. I am not one of those who cries and whines about a generator being used. Maybe a couple can plug in and pay for our gasoline... sound like a win / win.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
UTAH... we like the "camp in between Parks" on BLM. No traffic. No tourists... as it is too... remote. Dogs... let them run as they are less likely to fall off a sandstone ridge as yourself having a dizzy spell on a 200 foot drop. Agate... so much that you had better be picky. Petrified wood... exploded everywhere.

You know... it almost sounds too good. Maybe this should be a private event... 10 to 15 trailers. More or less.

Maybe some Trilobites in western Utah, topaz crystals at Topaz Peak... Utah. Just weathering away and getting buried as I type... if it will rain.

Wyoming. Utah. Colorado. New Mexico. Nevada.

These are some of our favorite places. Grandma's Diner in Salina, UT works for us as well.

If we can survive these trips... you will learn to, or not survive and that takes care of that issue.

We can put together a Hit and Miss Boondocking in most any of these States... or the usual "boring".... here is the next camp site. Ho Hummm.

Tents. Trailers. Campers... you are all special. Dogs add to the amusement. If you do not like the remote free camping, you can pack up and travel safely once arriving. Nancy and I do this because we actually do like people, just not wanting to disappoint anyone who thinks we might actually know what we are doing.

If you have not been to Beaver, Utah, good. Or Delta, Utah, even better. Have not explored the northern Utah area as much as Idaho gets in the way. The Salt Flats will eat every bit of aluminum of your Airstream in NW Utah.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
40 days boondocking???

I think not, Fearless Leader.

I'm up for 10-12 days, as was the original plan. After getting re-acclimated to civilization at the KOA in Jackson...where you and Nancy are more than welcome to join us... some of us will be heading to the west coast, and have plans there.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Some BLM areas in South Dakota outside the Black Hills are covered with prickly pear and severe in some areas. Fairburn, SD are where the Fairburn Agates "use to be found". Some places in Eastern Wyoming... the same. Infested with them. They are more elevation sensitive from my experience to be that prolific. So keep in the higher country around the Black Hills. This is Brent's neck of the woods... Me, too much effort to find those small obscure National Forest places to slip into.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
40 days boondocking???

I think not, Fearless Leader.

I'm up for 10-12 days, as was the original plan. After getting re-acclimated to civilization at the KOA in Jackson...where you and Nancy are more than welcome to join us... some of us will be heading to the west coast, and have plans there.
Maggie

Do the math Maggie. Ten days Camping. Four locations. 4 x 10= 40

My math is the same as Brent uses for his age. The Quemado Trip. Six days camping. One location. 6 x 1= 6
Old 02-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You're so funny.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Myself, much like the 2016 Wyoming ten days. Four camp sites work for ten days. Usually a loop in one general area to keep the driving time at a minimum.

Nancy & I know places scattered around, but this year will tag some special spots. We usually do not go back to some places, since there are thousands begging to be discovered. Indian Petroglyphs to just wonderful breath taking view... all works for us.

Ten days, four campsites... equals 40 camp days, doesn't it, Brent? Maggie?

We do not have solar on our latest Airstream. We haul a generator. I am not one of those who cries and whines about a generator being used. Maybe a couple can plug in and pay for our gasoline... sound like a win / win.
Sounds interesting. We want to know more and will follow this thread. We don't have solar either but plan to add a capacity to our battery system soon. We will certainly help with gasoline costs if we can plug in to your generator once in a while.

I know you have a different trip planned for August 2016. Do you have a time frame in mind for the Ten Day Boondocking Dream Trip?
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote