Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Yellowstone maiden voyage

We will be making our maiden voyage to Yellowstone soon. Any suggestions for camping? My husband has never been there, and I would like to take our medium size dog too. So getting all the tires in order and newly venturing into trailering.
thanx all brilliant ones............
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Best wishes on your maiden voyage. Are you planning to camp in the park or at a campground outside?

Post pictures of your girl ready for blast off.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Wink Yellowstone visit

Speaking of girl off on maiden voyage. My husband named her Marina Brooke, how do you like that? Good thing her plate will be TIN HUT.
Anyway, we are open to suggestions and experiences. I did try to back up myself, there is much more practice needed there. So do provide all your experience of your favorites for camping in or around Yellowstone.
Yes I will get a picture of Marina leaving on her first voyage with us. Just got her all cleaned and just need to maybe stain repel the carpet just for good measure. I would think that carpet is tuff for stains anyway. My husband decided to keep that there, it is in very good shape, just needed some cleanup.
Have a son in boot camp and sent him a picture of Marina. Have not heard back on his opinion on our new member of family.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I found Fishing Bridge really crowded and water pressure too high to boot. I really liked staying at Madison.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We stayed in Canyon campground four nights this June with our T@B. Nice campground, but no hookups (we managed just fine.) Even though we picked it because it has showers, we still wound up driving down to them - it's a big campground. Nice tree-lined sites with pretty good spacing between them. Having that nice short 21' trailer will help.

Canyon is pretty centrally located. Don't expect anything great from the food at the Lodge, despite the wait and the price (Tetons were MUCH better for that.)

Have fun!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We like the Pebble Creek Campground. It's near the Silver Gate entrance in the Lamar Valley. It does closes earlier the bigger campgrounds in the Park.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Yellowstone is one of my favorite places! The campgrounds inside the park generally don't have full hookups, but often have power or water. Many are crowded and not very "private"... a parking lot essentially with a little greenery now and then. The park has done what it can to accommodate big MoHo's into what used to be tent camping is my view... With all that said, the park is so great the little bit of inconvenience in the campgrounds is minimal. I love the old lodge at Old Faithful, but the lodge at Yellowstone Lake is equally lovely, and the oldest in the park. Often there is music in the lobby in evenings in the summer months, not so sure about fall.

If you want full hookups and don't mind driving an hour in and out the park each day then you might want to stay in one of the commercial areas outside the park. West Yellowstone has some nice camping for full hookups. Many of the sites in the park can be accessed by driving, so it may not be a big deal to drive in and out if you plan your routes in advance.

Let us know more about what you like for camping accommodations, we can be more specific!

Have fun!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn View Post
If you want full hookups and don't mind driving an hour in and out the park each day then you might want to stay in one of the commercial areas outside the park. West Yellowstone has some nice camping for full hookups.
This is a workable albeit expensive alternative.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

You can read my Blog at airstreamhobo.blogspot.com for details about Yellowstone starting with July 31 blog date and follow for 10 days as to Things to do & See at Yellowstone. We loved Bakers Hole in West Yellowstone north of town 3 miles. The rates were $20.00 a nite with electric. We parked next to a water spikot and filled up as needed thendumped black water when we left. Great Hosts and Park. We had a blast all along the trip...AirstreamHobo
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Since this is our first venture in a trailer, I can't say what my preferences are. Me personally, drive thru sort of parking.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieB View Post
Since this is our first venture in a trailer, I can't say what my preferences are. Me personally, drive thru sort of parking.
If you prefer pull through sites than Fishing Bridge is not a good option as all it's sites are back in and the spacing is wicked tight! We stayed there in early August 2009 because it was the only campground in the park that takes reservations that had space available. I did not love it: Too expensive, too tightly spaced and too much like a parking lot. Go for one of the non hookup campgrounds within the park or try to find something right outside.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
A couple of planning things to be aware of....

1) Campgrounds in Yellowstone begin closing after Labor Day - you should check on line to have the latest info on which ones will be open on the days you are there

2) Fall is 'road construction' time in the park - most years there are some sections that get closed entirely so major work can be done. I believe this year that the stretch between Madison and Norris is down. Again, you should check and get the latest info. The roads in Yellowstone are like a big figure 8 and you can always go around - but that can add hours of driving time if you have to go the long way 'round.

3) Yellowstone has strict rules about where dogs are allowed. I think they are ok in campgrounds and such, but not on hiking trails, boardwalks, etc. Would be good to check the rules about this since you mention you are taking your dog along - we take our dogs and some places they are allowed and some not - you just have to check. (Important safety tip - dogs and bears do not get along.....ask me how I know!)

Fall is a great time to be in Yellowstone! As long as you are there, it is also great to visit Grand Teton if your schedule allows.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Here is my Blog on my trip to Yellowstone..start at July 30th scroll down to that date ...AirstreamHobo

AirstreamHobo Travels
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
https://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
We stayed at Fishing Bridge a few years ago, late August. It snowed and some of the roads were closed. Be prepared for bad weather.

Enjoy.Sonia
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I stayed at the Mammoth Hot Springs Campground last month. It is a no hookup and first come, first served campground. You have to arrive early to get a spot in the summer. There are some pull-throughs. Fall rut is starting with the elk and there are lots of elk in this area. It would be fun to watch, as long as you keep your distance. There are some videos on the parks' web site of male elk attacking cars.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Sounds like your going to have a great trip! I look forward to the day when we can take that same journey!

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #17

1979 31' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
We stayed at Grizzly RV Park (406-646-4466 or www.grizzlyrv.com) in the town of West Yellowstone, Montana. This private park was the nicest campground in the area. It is the most efficiently designed campground I have seen. The people running the park were very helpful. Though their prices were a little high, around $42 with AAA discount, you have full hookups, cable tv, and WiFi. Plus your in walking distance to the shops of West Yellowstone.

If your looking for less expensive camping, there is a campground in Gallatin National Forest just three miles north of West Yellowstone on US 191. Bakers Hole (406-646-7369) is located on the Madison River. About half the sites had water and electricity. Pit toilets only.

We did look around at a number of campgrounds in the area, but these two were by far the best. There also was a KOA outside of town that wasn't bad, but their prices were higher.
RoadMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Husband opinion

Hi,
Saw the pictures of campgrounds and showed my husband. The Grizzly site is what he is trying to avoid, a parking lot. Does that make sense? The pictures of the Baker campground from Hobo looked interesting. I also told him that some campgrounds won't work because we have a wide body trailer. But keep educating us. And also Hobo, great pictures!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #19

1979 31' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Most every campground we saw this summer, in or around Yellowstone (or anywhere within 300 miles), was a parking lot. Grizzly had more space then most (though Bakers Hole was better).

And by the way, Cabela's allows overnight RV parking, and they have plenty of space (but no hookups). The one in Mitchell, SD even has a dump station.
RoadMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote