Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
This sounds like a great trip, will have to hit it next summer for some good water and good fishing...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Great information! We hope to make our first trip to the area in mid-August.

2002 22' CCD
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Gillette , Wyoming
Living in Sheridan now, and having lived in both Cody and Gillette, I can tell you that the information provided by Ecklund is excellent and accurate. This is the main reason I moved to Wyoming from southern Ohio and I've enjoyed every minute traveling and fly fishing this wonderful state.

My wife and I own a 2009 23' Flying Cloud. Our AS is our basecamp for fly fishing as well as photography, enjoying open fires and conversation. I hope I never stop enjoying these simple pleasures!

Thanks for all the great information!
GAS_Wyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Hutchinson , Minnesota
Rivet Can't wait!

My wife and I are about to embark on our first lengthy trip in the AS, and we are headed to Montana and Wyoming, so I can work on my rookie casting skills and do a little hiking and biking. All of these posts are making my casting arm twitch!

I'll have all of this info tucked in the AS for reference.

hipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
DuBois, Wyoming- Double Cabin UPDATE

For anyone who has driven through DuBois and Riverton, Wyoming, you would not expect this true gem of a camping site. For tent, tent trailer, Airstream or RV Bus. I should have provided some photographs of the area earlier, but find the directions from DuBois in an earlier post. You might think you are in the Canadian Rockies with the snow on the highest ridges.

When you come into the camping area, the camp host is usually sitting to your left (trailer with the propane tanks) for any questions you might have. Trailer and RV's... keep following the gravel road that goes to the right (southeast) and you will find acres of green grass and willows and pine trees in clusters to camp near. Just pick a spot. The US Forest Service restroom is well kept, modern and for your use. Many horse packers go to the northwest towards Yellowstone for extended camping into the back country. The hiking/horse trails go to Yellowstone. And yes... there are bear in the area, but not the problem they are in Yellowstone, so just practice safe Rockdocking habits in this remote area.

You can pick your river crossings in the Fall. In the Spring melt, you might have trouble finding a shallow crossing of the meandering stream bed. The best time to be in this high country is July to September. It can get below freezing in July and be hot in October, so the weather is unpredictable. I picked four photographs that give a general overview of the fishing, camping and hiking available. This is NOT a two night camp site. This area can keep a family busy for a week or longer and just use the camp site as the center of a large area to explore. Across the two small rivers and you are in Wilderness area. There is NO FEE outside the formal tent camping area, but we always leave a "donation" in the Forest Service drop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0227.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	144584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0229.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	144585  

Name:	DSCN0231.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	144586   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0253.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	144587  

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
What a great area! Thanks for posting, maybe next season, we were just on the Madison.
Stream Safe,
Bob U-
San Diego, CA.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #21
Idaho Vandal
1973 31' Sovereign
andover , Live part time in southern France, summer in Idaho.
My first post as a new member on an excellent topic. Growing up in Idaho, fly fishing is like brushing your teeth, you just do it. Wyoming is everything you said and I've barely scratched its surface. My wife likes to play that she doesn't understand why I catch and release. She knows, but it's what makes some of my secret places so authentic, wild and thus become pilgrimages. Our 31' worked great when our kids were little, but I want to downsize now. Easier access to the stream right?
Idaho Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Welcome Idaho to the Discussions

I became a catch and release fly fisherman, myself. And when I say fly fisherman, I say it in jest. I stop at the town's fly shop, see what flies are on the list, that trout are hitting and the hatches, buy some flies and up into the mountains. Oh sure, I can turn over some boulders in the stream, or swat some insects, but I am pure amateur. My wife reads a book under the AS awning, while I slap the water, which I am good at. I can catch the fish hatchery fish with ease, it's those smart ones that have lasted a few years that have bit into some steel where I can test my true, lack of skill.

Those fisherman in the Northwest USA, know how to fish and have the streams, ponds and lakes to practice. I find Colorado fishing different than western Montana, where there still are some places, with minimal difficulty, that have NON this seasons' hatchery fish, thriving. I still haul my fly rods, reels and flies in my travels, but am now spending my time hunting rocks and metal detecting. Like fly fishing... frustrating, moments of excitement and thrill, but have been spending less time pulling leaves off my fly and changing flies, midstream, with toe nail clippers tied to my shirt. I have tried to fish off shore on those big wide, Idaho Rivers, but everyone seems to be using boats to be successful...

You will enjoy following these discussions and the variety of people who are brave enough to add their comments, as well! Welcome.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Folks I too claim to be a fly fisherman (catch and release only unless we decide to have a meal, while camping, which has been 2 in 5 years). Thank god I don't have to make a living from it or my family may have starved all these years. I am a four season FF so it is a passion (last week it was -1 (f) degrees when I entered the river) . I've posted some photos from locations around the rocky mountain region since I live in Colorado. We all are very lucky to be surrounded by some beautiful scenery. I've included some of my recent trips to WY, MT and from my home state of CO. I hope to see you on the road or river sometime in the future.

Tight lines!

Larkspur, CO
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2050084099.png
Views:	308
Size:	943.0 KB
ID:	148390   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1776274052.png
Views:	313
Size:	789.1 KB
ID:	148391  

Name:	image-3513750182.png
Views:	333
Size:	928.0 KB
ID:	148392   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4256805197.png
Views:	313
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	148393  

Name:	image-2715418417.png
Views:	303
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	148394  
Allan & Vicki
Larkspur, CO
Be we, fish on!
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Grand Teton National Park camp site

This'll be my first post to these boards. I've lived in Jackson Hole for a couple of decades. Here is one of the best boondocking sites I've seen. Right on the edge of Grand Teton Nat'l Park with great fly fishing all around esp on the Snake & Gros Ventre Rivers.20+ years

Could be one of the most fantastic views in the World! Shadow Mountain (USFS land) lies along the eastern border of Grand Teton Nat'l Park. Off Highway 26/89 just north of the Park Visitor Center and Blacktail Butte turn east on Antelope Flats Rd. At the stop sign turn north to Shadow Mt. The road becomes gravel/dirt - DO NOT travel this road in the spring (before Mid June) or in very wet times. At the base of the mountain is an informal Forest Service Camp area, which is usually busy and often not all that clean. There are other sites along the base to Antelope Springs to the north, but often the road is rough, but maybe not. Continue up the mountain & the first really fine site you’ll come to is a chalk white open area with fantastic views. You can continue to the top of the mountain where you’ll find lots of sites with incredible views of Jackson Hole and the Mt Leidy Highlands to the east.

Forewarning – This is pure dry camping in grizzle bear country. Suggest you unhook and scout it out …Suggest you unhook and scout it out, but all that effort is worth it! It is a relatively steep, Wyoming, Forest Service, rough gravel road, which may not be graded out until the Fall hunting season. Four-wheel drive is necessary in case it gets wet. I’d take a 30’ trailer up there in good weather without concern. The campsites are all informal, public made. It is no place to go until after late June and not after mid-Sept 15.

But, there are no better views of the Earth’s most beautiful valley that is Jackson Hole, Wyoming. And- it’s all free.
OK Bob. We took your directions and compared them to our map while catching each turn. From the bottom of the road to the camp site(s) we found that the chalk white would work for a tent camper, but not a trailer. If you proceed 2.4 miles from the bottom of the hill you are looking for the SECOND turn to the EAST on Road 3034D. This is an open area where four trailers can easily align themselves in a north-south direction. And a direct view to the west of the Grand Teton. You can also see the south end of Jenny Lake at the base of the Tetons.

We were level side to side and needed four inches at the hitch to level the trailer. You must face SOUTH to be able to level the end to end. Just a lot easier and you can turn around easily at the site to pull onto the forest service road and use blocks to keep your plumbing up...

The reason why you need to take the second turn is it is easier to cross the dip. We used some leveling squares to drive across on our plumbing side and had NO TROUBLE. The view is as Bob said...fantastic. There are other pullouts as you keep going, but there were some horse riders tied up at the next site that was easier to pull into. It was in trees, so the view was obscured. The photographs are proof of the best view from a campsite for us this year.

This requires a four wheel drive just to maintain traction with a full fresh water tank. Mostly as a precaution, but you do not want to have to back out of this gravel road. There are ruts you need to navigate, but we had no difficulty.

When leaving around 10AM a TOUR BUS was coming up the one lane gravel road. We were able to back up a bit and into a pull out with little trouble. The tourists in the tour bus looked really surprised to see us coming down from this location! I think the bus driver was a bit surprised, as well. I would suggest arriving on a Sunday to Wednesday for less chances of finding campers at all of the sites. There is a parking area at the bottom of the hill and you can detach to scout out and have someone "hold" your camp site.

Lat. N43 degrees 41 minutes 50 seconds
Long. W110 degrees 35 minutes 31 seconds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2811.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	168122   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2814.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	168123  

Name:	DSCN2815.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	168124   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2842.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	168125  

Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #25
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Whitewood , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to maryc4146
WY fly fishing

Dear Ray,
I just have to tell you that the pictures of your fly fishing trips in WY brought back memories. I came across a thread that my late husband, GAS_Wyo posted on here in Feb of 2011. He passed away in May of 2011 of colon cancer. He loved fly fishing in the Big Horn Mountains of WY, Cody and MT areas. He left me with the AS and six fly rods. Hopefully some day I'll muster up enough courage to attempt a fly fishing/camping trip in his honor. Thank you!
Take care,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Greg fishing on the Bighorn River in MT 4.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	178885  
maryc4146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
If you want to really see a part of Yellowstone that few ever see, and also has some of the best fly fishing in North America, check out the very south west portion of Yellowstone at the Bechler Ranger Station. You must go through Ashton, Idaho to get there. Then take the trail from the Ranger Station to the Bechler River. Like was said, griz country, take your bear spray, but worth every minute of it.

2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
Bethesda , Maryland
For a true boondock experience and fantastic fishing for big trout, consider the Miracle Mile (more like 7 miles) of the North Platte River in WY. (42.2 N Lat, -106.9 W Long). It apparently can be crowded in summer season, but I was the only soul there in mid-September (and the browns were aggressive getting ready to spawn). Camping was free on the BLM land and there are a few picnic tables and fire rings.

It is remote and no services other than pit toilets (don't recall there being well water but might have some). You can get there from the south coming off the interstate at Sinclair, or from the north via Alcova. Unless you are towing something quite small, I can't envision coming in from the south. The final ten miles is a gravel road through the mountains and has a few sharp narrow turns. Though right before the mountain passage is Seminoe State Park that has a well developed campground. Coming in from the north it's about 60 miles of gravel road, but almost no elevation change. So towing would not be a problem.

As far as fishing, the only question is how many trout per day over 20 inches you will catch.
Beerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
Topeka , Kansas
My favorite joke was the fly fisherman on his death bed talking to his best friend. When he said " don't let my wife sell my fly fishing equipment for 1/2 of what I told her I paid for it".

2club is offline   Reply With Quote