Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I agree with Rodney this doesn't belong under boondocking. The proper subforum would be "I want to start a thread where all the women will attack me".
And hopefully some of the men.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe this should be in the Brain Physiology Subforum. Right handed people are left brain dominant, left handed people are right brain dominant. I don't think it has anything to do with male or female.

Left handed people develop better connections between hemispheres because they live in a right handed world and can be both logical and artistic. Thus, left handed men with their better spacial relations, should rule the world. Actually they often do—3 of the last 3 presidents have been left handed (Obama, Clinton, Bush I).

I too wonder what head Ray is using?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
When you pull into a big truck stop, there are a lot of shapes moving around and pump islands with those threatening posts—taking in all the stuff fast may be more difficult to women than men. Pulling out can be worse—the pumps can be close to the building and cars may be parked in front of it. I can tell where we fit, Barb has more trouble visualizing it. She learns, but it takes time.
To reinforce this, this is definitely more a self-confidence and experience issue. Boys learn to trust their spatial sense by bumping into things and they learn not to do that. Experience shows them how to compensate for any lack of accurate spatial sense, so they have the self-confidence to go for it. Girls/women are just told they don't have any.

All those "shapes moving around"? That's just, again, practice and self-confidence.

As you say, Gene: it's what we're taught and what we experience and what we are expected sociologically to do.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
I too wonder what head Ray is using
Wrong thread! Wrong Thread!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Let's just admit men and women are different.
eg: I will speak for most men, that when they see a teeshirt with small writing on it, they will always look to see what it says. (left or right handed)
For some reason, the girls in the teeshirt just don't understand this and quite often will, for some reason, come to some other conclusion. Especially if your wife sees you reading some other girls message.
If they did not want you to read the message, why wear it?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8380429.stm
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It's the braille T-shirts that cause the most problems.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I am a female and have great spatial skills, but find that the major problem is the drivers seat - it is too low to see out so that I feel comfortable in a tall/wide vehicle - i just cant see the edges ---- but the booster cushion really helps! I think everyone should get a new tow vehicle with super elevating seats and pedal extenders and then let us at 'em!!!! Not kidding - the booster cushion really makes a huge difference!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
This is more about towing than boondocking, but hey, I'm not bothered where I read stuff from.

The skills required for towing an Airstream need to be learned and IMHO gender isn't an issue. Confidence is an issue and for any or all of the reasons stated by other posters, men seem to shade it slightly where that's concerned. However, confidence can be gained with experience so that too becomes a non-issue. Conditioning, though, is what we're fighting; men think and like to perpetuate the thought that they are the best drivers and women are hopeless. This has been drummed into all of us ever since motor vehicles were invented and sadly, it's still a view that we pass on to our children.

I know that Mrs T is every bit my equal when driving (am I hers I wonder?) and she has driven with the Airstream hitched up. She chooses not to drive most of the time, though, partly because she lacks the confidence and partly because, well, I like driving. However, the gaining of confidence is something that we will address and I'm hoping that she'll take the wheel more often this year, becoming ever more confident in the process.

Alternatively, we could revert to the old ways......

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad
This is more about towing than boondocking, but hey, I'm not bothered where I read stuff from.

The skills required for towing an Airstream need to be learned and IMHO gender isn't an issue. Confidence is an issue and for any or all of the reasons stated by other posters, men seem to shade it slightly where that's concerned. However, confidence can be gained with experience so that too becomes a non-issue. Conditioning, though, is what we're fighting; men think and like to perpetuate the thought that they are the best drivers and women are hopeless. This has been drummed into all of us ever since motor vehicles were invented and sadly, it's still a view that we pass on to our children.

I know that Mrs T is every bit my equal when driving (am I hers I wonder?) and she has driven with the Airstream hitched up. She chooses not to drive most of the time, though, partly because she lacks the confidence and partly because, well, I like driving. However, the gaining of confidence is something that we will address and I'm hoping that she'll take the wheel more often this year, becoming ever more confident in the process.

Alternatively, we could revert to the old ways......

Lol - "but I know about embroidery and kittens!!!" Actually, kittens can be very complicated, you know.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
Certifiable

. , .
Truth be told, my wife has probably towed our trailer more miles than me.
I'm a better cook though.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #31
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Before we dig a hole so deep we have no hope of getting back out of, we should consider this famous quote.

"What would men be without women?
Scarce, sir .. mighty scarce." -- Mark Twain
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #32
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Seriously? It's 2012 and we're still having this discussion?

Towing a trailer is a learned skill just like any other.
As is hitching up your rig or setting up your camp.
Anyone can do it once they have been taught how.

That is of course if they want to.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #33
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper View Post
Seriously? It's 2012 and we're still having this discussion?

Towing a trailer is a learned skill just like any other.
As is hitching up your rig or setting up your camp.
Anyone can do it once they have been taught how.

That is of course if they want to.
Not sure where this all comes from but there are many women in my life who can drive a trailer comfortably and those who can't are capable of learning should they wish to do so.

On MLK it is particularly appropriate that we note the equality of all people and the depth with which discrimination and sexism are ingrained in society.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote