Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
zlee's Avatar
 
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I was pointed out as a pervert of some kind.
And this was wrong, correct...?
__________________

__________________
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
Many girls have been taught they can't do "men's work" and to be afraid of anything new or different. Boys are taught to be risk takers, girls are taught how dangerous the world is. When they grow up they retain this teaching without remembering how that happened. Even though they may rationale and intelligent, they don't want to try new things and don't want to do something manly like towing a trailer. A heightened self awareness or therapy may get them past childhood teachings, or may not.

Men are generally better at spacial relations and this is genetic. It is not absolute and some men aren't good at it and some women are. I can visualize a map or relationships of shapes to one another and know what compass direction I'm going. My wife has trouble with these things. Some of it is learned I think—both of her parents give the worse directions to somewhere I have ever heard (this really happened: "There's a good restaurant in Las Vegas [NM] we know you'll like" What's it called? "We don't know." Where is it?" We can't remember, but you'll like it."). After 25 years together, she is doing a lot better at maps (in reading a map you have to transfer in your mind a bunch of 2 dimensional lines to the 3 dimensional world—spacial relations come in there). Knowing compass directions without a compass means recording every turn you make unconsciously (dead reckoning) and that also seems to me to be spacial relations.

My wife had a double major in sciences. She was professionally ahead of many of her colleagues, men and women, before she retired. She passed organic chemistry, I could barely get through basic chem. She used complicated machines for lab tests and could fix them when others couldn't. But when I try to explain how some car part works, or how to fix trailer things, she is lost.

She was eager to learn how to tow a trailer, but wanted me to learn first. On our third trip, when we were out in the deserted Mojave Desert, then she did it and she did fine. But she was much more cautious than I and feared gas stations for a while (spacial relations issue). When you pull into a big truck stop, there are a lot of shapes moving around and pump islands with those threatening posts—taking in all the stuff fast may be more difficult to women than men. Pulling out can be worse—the pumps can be close to the building and cars may be parked in front of it. I can tell where we fit, Barb has more trouble visualizing it. She learns, but it takes time.

Many of us grew up when men always drove when a women was in the car. Women never drove a truck. That has changed a lot, but if you look at old couples, I'd bet that the man drives a lot more than the women. It takes generations for these things to change. Barb prefers me to drive on twisted mountain roads, in snow and in busy cities. Is that because I have more experience, have better ability to visualize relationships between things or because of how she was taught as a child? Maybe it's something of all of it. Of course, those are harder places to drive, so maybe she just wants me to do the hard work.

I'm glad Barb drives a lot. It means I arrive at a destination less tired and get to read when she's driving through places that I have seen a lot. She won't back the trailer. Backing requires a good sense of where things are and men are generally better at that. So maybe that makes sense. But I tell her she may have to do it someday because I may croak or be injured and she'll have to do it. That logic has not prevailed. When she has to, she'll be ok.

Another things girls are taught is to act like men are smarter and can do anything to stroke our egos. Therefore, when the become adults, they may act dumb when a man explains mechanical things. When a man isn't around they get smarter. Parents don't realize they are teaching these things and these beliefs are taught from generation to generation. This is another hard things to overcome.

I agree with Rodney this doesn't belong under boondocking. The proper subforum would be "I want to start a thread where all the women will attack me".

Gene
__________________

__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
I can use a sewing machine just fine. Don't do it often but when necessary I certainly can. My daughter can drive and back up a trailer loaded with 50' long rowing shells and do a nice job of it. I hear people often say " how can you back up that thing ". I refuse to tell them how much easier it is to back a looooong trailer than a short one. That's my secret. Now it's yours too. But my wife shows no interest or aptitude for driving while towing. Hard nut to crack.

See ya on the road sometime.

Oh, and Foiled Again. Thanks for the wheels. They still look great.
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Ray Eklund's Avatar

 
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,369
Boondocking Woman Catches Me Red Handed

And this was wrong, correct...? (zlee)

You saw right through that one zlee... This led me to the Poisonous Snake thread, and why women have a natural fear of "snakes".

That explains the Boondocking Forum accepting Poisonous Snakes in the Boondocks as suitable subject material, while Women Boondocking Drivers is a subject to discuss with a stiff drink, and for safety, men outnumbering the women and put into an obscure forum topic, thought. I had a dream of women towing trailers, AND I did not break into a sweat or get sick to my stomach due to stressing out with a conflicted left or right sided brain. As you can tell from my "study" in this subject, I am incapable of using either side of my brain and think with what nature provided me to "really" think with...
__________________
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
retired USA/USAF

 
2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
And this was wrong, correct...? (zlee)

You saw right through that one zlee... This led me to the Poisonous Snake thread, and why women have a natural fear of "snakes".

That explains the Boondocking Forum accepting Poisonous Snakes in the Boondocks as suitable subject material, while Women Boondocking Drivers is a subject to discuss with a stiff drink, and for safety, men outnumbering the women and put into an obscure forum topic, thought. I had a dream of women towing trailers, AND I did not break into a sweat or get sick to my stomach due to stressing out with a conflicted left or right sided brain. As you can tell from my "study" in this subject, I am incapable of using either side of my brain and think with what nature provided me to "really" think with...


Ughhhhh, and Ray, just what is that ?????
__________________
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
withidl's Avatar
 
2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 440
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I'm not going to criticize you, but I'm going to point out that the reasons for that have little to do with whether it's possible to think on the other side of the brain than the one you're supposed to TEND to work on. The brain's a big place and we are demonstrably able to rise above our conditioning, because conditioning and what we breed for are not the same things as what we can do.
This is exactly why I used the word "TEND" many times! Almost everyone can adapt when necessity rears it head.
__________________
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
zlee's Avatar
 
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I agree with Rodney this doesn't belong under boondocking. The proper subforum would be "I want to start a thread where all the women will attack me".
And hopefully some of the men.
__________________
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
Maybe this should be in the Brain Physiology Subforum. Right handed people are left brain dominant, left handed people are right brain dominant. I don't think it has anything to do with male or female.

Left handed people develop better connections between hemispheres because they live in a right handed world and can be both logical and artistic. Thus, left handed men with their better spacial relations, should rule the world. Actually they often do—3 of the last 3 presidents have been left handed (Obama, Clinton, Bush I).

I too wonder what head Ray is using?

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
zlee's Avatar
 
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
When you pull into a big truck stop, there are a lot of shapes moving around and pump islands with those threatening posts—taking in all the stuff fast may be more difficult to women than men. Pulling out can be worse—the pumps can be close to the building and cars may be parked in front of it. I can tell where we fit, Barb has more trouble visualizing it. She learns, but it takes time.
To reinforce this, this is definitely more a self-confidence and experience issue. Boys learn to trust their spatial sense by bumping into things and they learn not to do that. Experience shows them how to compensate for any lack of accurate spatial sense, so they have the self-confidence to go for it. Girls/women are just told they don't have any.

All those "shapes moving around"? That's just, again, practice and self-confidence.

As you say, Gene: it's what we're taught and what we experience and what we are expected sociologically to do.
__________________
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
zlee's Avatar
 
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I too wonder what head Ray is using
Wrong thread! Wrong Thread!
__________________
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
 
masseyfarm's Avatar

 
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,274
Images: 55
Let's just admit men and women are different.
eg: I will speak for most men, that when they see a teeshirt with small writing on it, they will always look to see what it says. (left or right handed)
For some reason, the girls in the teeshirt just don't understand this and quite often will, for some reason, come to some other conclusion. Especially if your wife sees you reading some other girls message.
If they did not want you to read the message, why wear it?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8380429.stm
Dave
__________________
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
It's the braille T-shirts that cause the most problems.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
 
2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 392
I am a female and have great spatial skills, but find that the major problem is the drivers seat - it is too low to see out so that I feel comfortable in a tall/wide vehicle - i just cant see the edges ---- but the booster cushion really helps! I think everyone should get a new tow vehicle with super elevating seats and pedal extenders and then let us at 'em!!!! Not kidding - the booster cushion really makes a huge difference!
__________________
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
MrUKToad's Avatar

 
2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,372
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 13
This is more about towing than boondocking, but hey, I'm not bothered where I read stuff from.

The skills required for towing an Airstream need to be learned and IMHO gender isn't an issue. Confidence is an issue and for any or all of the reasons stated by other posters, men seem to shade it slightly where that's concerned. However, confidence can be gained with experience so that too becomes a non-issue. Conditioning, though, is what we're fighting; men think and like to perpetuate the thought that they are the best drivers and women are hopeless. This has been drummed into all of us ever since motor vehicles were invented and sadly, it's still a view that we pass on to our children.

I know that Mrs T is every bit my equal when driving (am I hers I wonder?) and she has driven with the Airstream hitched up. She chooses not to drive most of the time, though, partly because she lacks the confidence and partly because, well, I like driving. However, the gaining of confidence is something that we will address and I'm hoping that she'll take the wheel more often this year, becoming ever more confident in the process.

Alternatively, we could revert to the old ways......

__________________

MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boondocking emergency question Bigcgar Boondocking 85 01-09-2012 10:38 PM
Supposed to be drip edge on Driver's Side? Johns5711 Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 6 08-03-2011 06:03 PM
Built for boondocking tlsmit1 Boondocking 16 07-25-2011 09:26 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.