Old 11-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Window Rock, AZ

I have a three-day job in Window Rock, AZ ("WR") next month. Our current plan is to camp in Gallup, and I'll drive the 28 miles to WR each day, but it would be more convenient to boondock in WR. We know of no campgrounds there. Does anyone know? I'd also like to hear of others' good or bad experiences camping out on the Reservation if allowed. Would you do it again?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
I have a three-day job in Window Rock, AZ ("WR") next month. Our current plan is to camp in Gallup, and I'll drive the 28 miles to WR each day, but it would be more convenient to boondock in WR. We know of no campgrounds there. Does anyone know? I'd also like to hear of others' good or bad experiences camping out on the Reservation if allowed. Would you do it again?
Stay in Gallup. Avoid the KOA if possible.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
JH, maybe the place you're working at will let you boondock on their property. You may be able to use their electricity.

I looked into campgrounds on the res a while back and it seems there are few if any. There are some Navajo parks but they are far from Window Rock. Be sure to see the Navajo legislative building and the museum while you're there.

Gene
Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Gene's right, there are very few options in Window Rock or the immediate vicinity.

By the way, the USA RV Park in Gallup is under new ownership, and the new owners, unlike the previous owners, are apparently more human-friendly.

Lynn
Old 11-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Gene's right, there are very few options in Window Rock or the immediate vicinity.

By the way, the USA RV Park in Gallup is under new ownership, and the new owners, unlike the previous owners, are apparently more human-friendly.

Lynn
Are they pet friendly as well? From what I read, the previous owner had many issues.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Stay in Gallup. Avoid the KOA if possible.
Ditto on stay away from the Gallup KOA. Expensive and we got hit up by drunk panhandlers going from trailer to trailer. A little ways easton the I 40 frontage road is Red Rock State Park. Nice rocks but never camped there. There is a Wallyworld in Gallup. Also ditto on little available camping in WR. I think camping out in the open on the res is an invitation for trouble.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Are they pet friendly as well? From what I read, the previous owner had many issues.
Apparently they're pet friendly, though I haven't been there to find out. But you're right: The previous owner was a true-blue nut case when it came to pets (among other things).

Lynn
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Ditto on stay away from the Gallup KOA. Expensive and we got hit up by drunk panhandlers going from trailer to trailer. A little ways easton the I 40 frontage road is Red Rock State Park. Nice rocks but never camped there. There is a Wallyworld in Gallup. Also ditto on little available camping in WR. I think camping out in the open on the res is an invitation for trouble.
We stayed at Red Rock State Park in 1993. Nice park as I recall, but that was a while ago.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Something to remember about Gallup is the railroad. There's a pretty constant amount of freight trains along that route and it can be quite noisy nearby. We once stayed in a motel that was built so flimsy the walls shaked when a train went by (we moved to the Best Western the next night). This is also true in Flagstaff where it's best to keep away from the same rail line. I've never stayed in an RV place in either town, but have stayed in motels and heard (and felt) the trains. Red Rock SP is supposed to be quite nice, but I've haven't been there either.

As far as safety on the res, I have seen plenty of down and out Navajos (unemployment is very high and alcohol has been a problem for years, but the alcohol problem seems better than it was decades ago), but have never been bothered by anyone. Back in the '50's, there were 100's, maybe more, Indians (probably Navajo, but there are other tribes nearby) sitting on the sidewalks, many drinking, all over town. You could see that in other towns around the various reservations in NM and Arizona back then. You rarely see that anymore and Lumatic's experience is, I think, an isolated one. All the Navajo I have met have been wonderful and very friendly people and I hope no one judges an entire nation by the acts of some alcoholics.

And yes, I would be cautious boondocking on the res, partly because there really are few places to go and just stopping somewhere because it seems like empty land, does not mean someone doesn't own it. Unlike the rest of the West, there are not clearly defined public lands open to anyone. Some Navajo parks seem to never be used, but years ago required a permit that could only be obtained in Window Rock, far from the actual park. Some of the national monuments do have campgrounds and you can easily stay there. These parks and monuments are far from Window Rock anyway. There is a motel in Window Rock if you decide not to take the trailer.

Gene
Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Red Rock IS a nice park, I'd forgotten about it. Yes, trains, planes and automobiles are
to be considered. The KOA is just off the interstate & very noisy, not to mention a very
expensive parking lot.