Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
All newer AS have converters, some, a few, have inverters also, either owner installed or newer factory units. Jim

Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #16

1975 25' Tradewind
Issaquah , Washington
Thanks for this thread y'all I'm a total noob. This is my first post and first airstream ('75 land yacht 25'). I understood "that" 110 didn't work unless on shore but not "why" until now. I found the ciggy adapter in the bunk section. So if I have a 12v to 110 inverter I could run a tv or charge phone, or better yet a blender, right? I just need to make sure that inverter can take the load right? boonbocking is one thing but tailgating without tv and blender is uncivilized.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Most modern digital television will require at least 65 watts of power. A blender will require much more than the television. Long story to follow. But the short story is "the blender is out". The ciggy outlet can NOT provide the required power.

The cigarette lighter adaptor as you call it. Can not provide the large amount of current required when using an INVERTER of any size.
Most of the 12 volt DC outlets are made from plastic and most have warnings on them NOT FOR CIGARETTE LIGHTER USE.
These devices are also rated in capacity measured in watts or amps.
For example: a 1200 watt inverter will require 100 amps @ 12 volts. It will provide about 8.5 amps at 120 volts, which is 1020 watts when you take into account the losses thru the inverter.
A person should understand how to determine the power (watts) required of any device plugged in to an INVERTER powered outlet.
By reading the nameplate on most appliances, you can determine the power requirements. One must keep in mind that an appliance with a motor, such as a blender, requires a relatively high start up current. Which is not listed on the label. If the INVERTER does not have the rated capacity, it will normally just shut down.
There are 2 types of INVERTERS on the market today. A "modified sine wave type" and a "pure sine wave type". The latter provides "cleaner" power and is considerably more expensive than the former.
It pays to do your home work on the differences between an INVERTER and a CONVERTER. They are 2 totally different animals.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post

airstream does have a converter according to my memory of reading the manual this morning.
All Airstreams after 1965 have converters. A converter converts 110volt ac power(shore or generator) to 12 volt dc power(battery) and puts it into your battery. An inverter turns 12volt dc power(battery) into 110volt ac power(wall plugs). Inverting power takes a great deal of energy and if you run a blender or hair dryer on inverted power, you will drain your battery very quickly. I am not a fan of inverters and do not install them in my clients trailers.

Airstreams after 1963 used all 12 volt lighting before that the International models had dual bulb fixtures.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Basically, all Airstreams except for really old ones have two sets of wiring. You have a 12v system wired to the lights, water pump, radio, furnace, refrig (if there is a 12v option) and ignitor for the hot water heater-all your basic needs. This is all powered by the batteries. You have another 120v system wired to the outlets, refrig, air conditioner, and a converter. When you plug in to shore power, you power up the 120v circuit, and the converter charges the batteries. Unplug the trailer, and you are on 12v only again. If you have a generator, you are providing 120v when you plug in to it. Hooking up an inverter to the 12v system, through a lighter outlet or directly to the batteries, provides a third system for getting low amounts of 120v power.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Regarding the water pump question, you should be able to leave it turned on when you are in the trailer. It pressurizes the system and should then shut off, coming back on when a pressure drop occurs. If it is running continuously, you have a problem, and the pump will run down your battery. Turn the pump off if you leave the trailer for any period of time, so that if a leak develops it doesn't pump all of your water through it.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
Thanks for this thread y'all I'm a total noob. This is my first post and first airstream ('75 land yacht 25'). I understood "that" 110 didn't work unless on shore but not "why" until now. I found the ciggy adapter in the bunk section. So if I have a 12v to 110 inverter I could run a tv or charge phone, or better yet a blender, right? I just need to make sure that inverter can take the load right? boonbocking is one thing but tailgating without tv and blender is uncivilized.
TG Twinkie provided lots of good information, to which I want to add this: If you're going to add an inverter to a 1975 Airstream, you'll want to wire it in either directly to the battery or very close to it, and if you're planning to make frequent or heavy use of the inverter, you may want to consider a second battery.

IMHO a better alternative is to find 12v devices where possible. There are some TVs designed to run on 12v, and some that have an external "power brick" that puts out 12v (or some DC voltage close to that) for which you can make or buy a 12v source. "Car charger" power sources for the cell phone or tablet, or even some laptops, and learn to love your Margarita on the rocks.

All of that said, I ended up with a CPAP machine that requires 120v (I got it before the first Argosy) and I have a 2nd battery that I only take with me when boondocking. I chose an AGM so I could charge it inside the trailer without worrying about off-gassing, and it's good for a couple of 8-hour nights without running the battery too low. Since my boondocking-to-hookup ratio is about 5:1, the extra hassle isn't too bad.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Because I also have a CPAP machine, I too need the power to run it. Even though I have an external inverter (my CPAP runs on 12 VAC - that's right, 12 volts AC, so it needs an inverter for that). My AS is equipped for boondocking, so I have 3 75-watt solar panels, 4 AGM batteries (2 inside behind the gaucho) and when the inverter charger the PO installed died, I had a Xantrex 3000-watt pure sine wave inverter charger installed. I still have to press a button to engage the inverter, but it provides 120-VAC to all the electrical sockets. BTW, it's nice to be able to freshly grind my morning coffee while boondocking in the Sonora desert (mainly Quartzsite).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
You must be plug in to outside 120V at a RV Park, Running Gen, have a inverter that takes 12 volt to 120 volts that is on and installed in the trailer. If you have one of these check the C-B at the C-B panel or at one of the outlets.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
I have two cigarette lighter plugs wired into my AS. One by the Television and one in the back bedroom between the beds at our feet. Both I can use an inverter to plug Televisions or bigger items into for power... I mostly use them to plug my cel phone in for charge...
Old 06-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Fort Worth , Texas
I just got an AS and was surprised the TV wouldn't work on the battery.

My solution was just to use the inverter I use in my car that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I plug that into the cigarette lighter next to the TV and then plug the TV into the inverter. The inverter I bought was like $30.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
As to the water pump question. Not a thing wrong with the advice given by Robert Claus.

My boondocker water, elec. and propane stinginess has me turning off the pump when I know I won't need water and keeping the water heater off most of the day.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Twelve volt tv are available. Jim
Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Let me throw a wrench into this mix, if I may. I have 300w solar with a Blue Sky controller, works great, by BTW.
When I plug my clock radio into a 65w inverter, the clock runs fast?? Any ideas out there?

Thanks beforehand!

BTW Howie, I concur.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote