Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Question Why no rear dinette on the shorter trailers?

Like to get a short trailer 16-20 ft, but notice the dinettes are in the front. For boondocking, this makes no sense to me. When parked at a dead end forest service road, or backed onto a river....I want to look at it!

Why hasn't AS built a rear dinette/lounge on the shorter trailers?
Why haven't Airstreamers demanded a rear dinette from AS?

Or am I missing something important by having the dinette at the front, and looking at my tow vehicle instead of the river?

Thanks in advance,
Jake
snakyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Probably because there is not enough room in the 16-20 ft trailers to put the kitchen and bathroom in the middle. There was a 1950 something Safari with a front kitchen and front bathroom.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
Like to get a short trailer 16-20 ft, but notice the dinettes are in the front. For boondocking, this makes no sense to me. When parked at a dead end forest service road, or backed onto a river....I want to look at it!

Or am I missing something important by having the dinette at the front, and looking at my tow vehicle instead of the river?

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I was thinking the bed and dinette location should be switched. Sleep in the front, lounge at the rear where the view is.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
Totally agree with you, we also never understood why someone would want to sit in the front of the trailer looking at the TV or at the road. We ended up with a 23FB partly for this reason (the other part being a real queen sized bed). It has the dinette with big windows on the curb side, which is where the view is 90% of the time in our experience. Unfortunately the CCD seats are not good to lounge, so I'm in the process of changing them out.
If you look at a 16' and imagine changing the rear bed for a dinette, it becomes pretty awkward to get in&out of the seats. You'd have to squeeze by between the cabinets and the table. The entry door in the front helps a lot in this respect for the front dinette. I suspect the door can't be moved to the rear easily because of the wheel well (I haven't looked at it in detail though).
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Probably has something to do with balance and tongue weight for the trailer. Additionally - the tanks are usually always in the rear so it would make a bigger issue to run the plumbing all the way back through the frame to the rear. Must be an engineering issue that complicates this option.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I just want the tow hitch on the opposite side of the 16 footer. Then I'd be happy. Can't imagine this would cost AS any more money to do, and I would think make a lot more people happy and excited.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
...dinette with big windows on the curb side, which is where the view is 90% of the time in our experience.
This is an interesting perspective that I need to think more about. All the RV parks I've been to the view is at the rear or no view at all. While boondocked off pavement, the view is either side or rear.

This is why I think the aft dinette is the best. But I figure I'm not the minority, so AS must have a good reason for a forward dinette, or too stubborn to change.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
It seems to me that RV parks never have any view, so it really doesn't matter, and if you look at your TV at least you're seeing something "safe" ;-) Joke aside, we mostly boondock and go to state/nat'l parks. Usually curb side or rear is where the view is, I don't hesitate to put the trailer in diagonally or sideways to optimize.

AS can't just put the hitch on the other end on the 16' because you need more than 50% of the weight in front of the axle, probably something like a 60/40 ratio, otherwise it would be absolute hell to tow.
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Montrose , Colorado
Airstream does make a 20' with the dinette on curb side. The two large windows pictured are located at the dinette. This is our 2007 20' LS/SE. Great floorplan, great manuverability, and great views that are not of the back of our truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring Vacation 2011 1053.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	140109  
Henny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake

Thanks in advance,
Jake
When I'm parked next to a river, I'm going to be outside until it gets dark. And then it doesn't matter what your view is. I park my unit to optimize the position of the sun. I want my awning side on the east so I can sit outside and eat my breakfast with the warming of the morning sun, and have the shade in the PM when I drink my sundowners. The geography doesn't always allow this, but usually it's not a problem.

Having said that, I agree that a rear dinette ( as in a 25' FB) is much perferable to a front dinette for a variety of reasons.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Wink I like my rear bath/front dinette layout

I like the bathroom privacy ( I can leave the bathroom window open while showering to keep the humidity down ) I like the front dinette so that my view
is of all of the fun going on. ( I don't go to campgrounds very often. Music festivals are my primary destinations ) It doesn't matter much, all I use the camper for is to sleep and use the bathroom.
Obviously Airstream thinks of me when when they design trailers.
Because......... it's really is all about me.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream now makes the 25' models (2012) with dinette either in back or in front. We choose the front dinette.

Most of our travels these days are to destinations where we spend a great deal of time, unhooked from the truck. I like the bed in back (less activity outside), and dining in front (more activity outside). Depending on the campsite, we'll check out the views sitting under the awning, enjoy our friends passing by the front dinette, and open up the bedroom curtains to the stars at night.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I think this must vary regionally. In Minnesota and the surrounding area, I've never stayed in a location where there was any view to the rear of the campsite. It's almost always obscured by vegetation. We usually unhook for other reasons but it does allow us to take advantage of the view out the front of the trailer.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I suspect it also has something to do with the shorter length and the axle/wheel well placement. It's easier and to tuck these under a bed or in a closet at the rear of the trailer. In longer trailers there is more overhang to the rear of the axles.

That coupled with the weight of the water tanks - makes it more feasible to have them near the axles than up front. However, our '56 Safari has the bathroom, kitchen and tanks at the front, but when it was made "new" it did not have tanks at all - it was a "park model". Our dinette is to the side (so that is what you see when you open the door) and the beds are in the back. But with all the windows we have - it really doesn't matter - sometimes we feel as though we are in a fish bowl as it is!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
Like to get a short trailer 16-20 ft, but notice the dinettes are in the front. ...

Thanks in advance,
Jake
The 20 is a nice compromise with dinette on the side and views most directions ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Keg
Airstream does make a 20' with the dinette on curb side. The two large windows pictured are located at the dinette. This is our 2007 20' LS/SE. Great floorplan, great manuverability, and great views that are not of the back of our truck.
Great picture Pony Keg. I have the same trailer (2008) and love the floor plan with the curb side dinette and rear kitchen.
Mrs. Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
We have a 16ft and we really like having the bed tucked in the back. Somehow it just seems less exposed than being near the street to us. We did like the layout of the 20ft too...all have their pros and cons. I think ours is so small that with the panoramic windows on both ends you kind of have a good view no matter where you sit...or lay

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 2012 Airstreams offer a 25' either way, dinette in front or back, pano windows on both ends.

We chose front dinette and like it; the outward view issue is in reality of little consequence. Works well either way. We do like the privacy of the sunshade (rock guards) at our dinette/living area. We can see out but they can't see in, and softens the glare like sunglasses in the bright sun.

doug k
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Wasn't Snakey Jake limiting his consideration to 16-20' AS ???

Originally Posted by snakyjake
Like to get a short trailer 16-20 ft, but notice the dinettes are in the front. ...

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes mefly2 he did. My point is that the front dinette works very well, no matter how long the trailer.

By the way we also had a 2007 Safari 20' and it was a remarkable trailer. Wonderful for travel. We would still have it but are spending six months a year in Airstream now, and it was too small for our extended travels. Everyone has to admire that big kitchen of the 20'.

doug k

Tags
dinette, lounge, rear