Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would say to get away from people and experience nature. Maybe one day I can afford to have my own private camping retreat. The only thing I miss about having a slide in camper is that I could go just about anywhere. I don't think I will do much real boon docking in my 31ft Airstream. We don't camp in private RV parks because many of them are just glorified parking lots. The state parks seem to have a nice balance between the parking lot and boon docking. I use to backpack a lot in my younger days and you can get away from civilization that way. I usually camp to be close to areas I can hike and get away and see nature. I usually don't camp just for the sake of camping. Setting up the satellite dish and watching TV is not my idea of camping.

Perry

Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Ooooo, looks like Padre Island NS!

Maggie
Yes indeed!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No boundaries.

Bob
Hey--where did you find that great rug?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
But where?

We have done no boondocking, because I don't see any boondocks. In California, it SEEMS like every square inch of land is private and fenced. I know of no place where you could park an Airstream on the beach, for example (well, and ever hope to get it back on the road!) I know of no place where you could roll your trailer off the road into the mountain meadows. Yes, you can back back into such areas - no problem. But I have never seen an area you could roll a trailer into! I must be missing something. Probably some of the desert areas might be open?

I'd love to know of some places to try it!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Being ready to boondock means that you can camp without any hookups. Many state and county parks don't offer utilities, but they are great places to stay if prepared. There are few places you can just pull off the road and park for the night, without getting a knock on the door, at least in the midwest.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
But where?

We have done no boondocking, because I don't see any boondocks. In California, it SEEMS like every square inch of land is private and fenced. I know of no place where you could park an Airstream on the beach, for example (well, and ever hope to get it back on the road!) I know of no place where you could roll your trailer off the road into the mountain meadows. Yes, you can back back into such areas - no problem. But I have never seen an area you could roll a trailer into! I must be missing something. Probably some of the desert areas might be open?

I'd love to know of some places to try it!
We found this place by chance, part of Los Padres National Forest in California. Couldn't tell you exactly where it is, , but I'm sure you could find it.

Huge, open area, under equally huge trees, nothing there but a couple of pit toilets. Obviously well-used, neat and clean, and free as I recall.

We spent a night there. Loved it and would go back.

We love the CampWhere app, which lists all public campgrounds and will give you specifics of each for just a click on the icon.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	183405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	594.0 KB
ID:	183406  

Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Being ready to boondock means that you can camp without any hookups. Many state and county parks don't offer utilities, but they are great places to stay if prepared. There are few places you can just pull off the road and park for the night, without getting a knock on the door, at least in the midwest.
We have pulled into many Wildlife Management/Conservation areas, and stayed the night without anyone bothering us. If it is not posted, you can stay, is our view.

We always take the judicious, conservative approach, and not look like we are settling in to stay for awhile.

There are also beautiful areas by rivers, streams, lakes, etc., essentially designed for fisherman and boaters. Have stayed at closed ferry areas a time or two, as well. You learn to spot the potentials as you are driving around the beautiful backroads.

Pull in, spend the night, leave the next morning with no trace you have been there, is the way to do it. One of our most favorite ways to travel, just roaming and looking and enjoying....find a pretty spot to spend the night and repeat the next day.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
So, the distinction is more about "no hookups" than about "campgrounds?"

Camping in a state park or state campground with no hookups is "boondocking?"

I'll have to do more looking. I am a bit cautious though about plowing down some miles long dirt road with a 25' trailer and then discovering no way to turn around!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
So, the distinction is more about "no hookups" than about "campgrounds?"

Camping in a state park or state campground with no hookups is "boondocking?"

I'll have to do more looking. I am a bit cautious though about plowing down some miles long dirt road with a 25' trailer and then discovering no way to turn around!
To us, boondocking is no hookups and generally no campground.

Camping without hookups in a campground we consider dry camping. I could have my terms wrong, here, but I'm sure someone will correct me.

We don't generally do dirt roads unless they are the hard packed and bladed ones you find in the lowcountry.

The CampWhere app will tell you about access to sites, and any restrictions.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am not seeing CampWhere at the Google Store it must be an Apple only app.

Perry
Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It is my experience that there are few worthwhile boondocking possibilities, in my area, for a 30' trailer.

In Minnesota, the current regulatory environment prohibits camping on most public land except at developed campsites. There are exceptions for state and national forests but it is now technically not permitted to drive off the roadway, and access for large trailers is poor.

On the other hand, there are a considerable number of developed campgrounds that lack hookups, or that are electric only.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I am not seeing CampWhere at the Google Store it must be an Apple only app.

Perry
Apple App.

This link provides the same information:

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

Maggie
Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It is my experience that there are few worthwhile boondocking possibilities, in my area, for a 30' trailer.

In Minnesota, the current regulatory environment prohibits camping on most public land except at developed campsites. There are exceptions for state and national forests but it is now technically not permitted to drive off the roadway, and access for large trailers is poor.

On the other hand, there are a considerable number of developed campgrounds that lack hookups, or that are electric only.
On of the mods here, Moosetags, put a topper on their pickup/Tow Vehicle for remote boondocking.

They then have the best of both worlds. He has a thread about that here somewhere.

The flexibility of being able to pull into something out of the way is a delicious experience.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Most of the music festivals we attend require us to boondock because there are no connections for shore power or water, so we carry our own generator and water.

pickerdd is online now   Reply With Quote