Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #181
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I don't have a generator and not currently in the market but if I were there would be definitely be some criteria to seek out:

1.) Capacity - does it have enough "umph" (engine size and wattage) to do the job.
2.) Noise - it had better be quiet
3.) Support - can you buy parts to fix this thing or have someone else fix it? Grey market products can be sketchy in parts availability or owners/repair manuals. There are some great price points on the grey market generators but it doesn't mean much if it is disposable because parts cannot be obtained. I would spend more on a name brand, have product support and resale is good if needed.
4.) Confirmed use with Easy Start would be a big plus.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Here are the photos I promised about adapting the Champion Dual Fuel 3400 genset for connection to an Airstream propane port and arranging the regulators for operation on an extension hose. There will be several edits, so bear with me[emoji3]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2871.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	310601

This is the larger "Low Pressure" regulator that attaches to the generator. It has been separated from the "high pressure" regulator, and a MALE quick-connect fitting has been adapted to the INPUT of the regulator.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #183
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Here are the photos I promised about adapting the Champion Dual Fuel 3400 genset for connection to an Airstream propane port and arranging the regulators for operation on an extension hose. There will be several edits, so bear with me[emoji3]Attachment 310601

Another pictureClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2872.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	310602

This is the "high pressure" regulator that originally attached directly to a propane tank. I have adapted a FEMALE quick connect fitting to it. This fitting allows the connection of an extension hose to make the generator work from a portable propane tank. You can also plug the original "high pressure" regulator into this to make it like the original setup, albiet with a LOT of extra leverage to break things...
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #184
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Here is another pictureClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2873.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	310603

This is the original propane tank fitting on the “high pressure” regulator. This does not have to be changed from the original setup. Just leave it on the input side of this regulator.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #185
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Which Generator??

For reference, this is the modified “high pressure” regulator coupled with the “low pressure” regulator using the quick connect fittings. Low pressure regulator is at lower left, high pressure is at upper right of the picture.

If you want to extend this, you would insert a hose between the two regulators that has both make and female quick connects. I will provide Amazon references for the parts I used shortly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	310604
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #186
Rivet Master

Corona , California
See posts 22-24 of this thread (gad, that's forever ago) for the details of what these preceding posts and pictures are talking about. The idea is to extend the connection from the Airstream propane port or a portable LP tank to the generator in a fairly convenient manner. Keep in mind that I am a charter member of the "overkill engineering" department, and this my be more like pain than simply convenient. Fell free to make your own version, as this is just an example, and was what I did to 'solve' my simple problem..

Here are the components that came from Amazon. The other brass adapters and fittings came from my local big box home improvement stores and were selected to make the transitions between the regulator threads and the quick-connect components. Fortunately all the parts, including the regulators use standard US pipe threads.

The original small brass adapter between the high pressure and low pressure regulators that came with the generator has been left in the INPUT of the low pressure regulator. Do not disturb this factory part because it contains an O-ring and sealant gluing it into the low pressure regulator, and you do NOT want to get any debris into the regulator--it tends to screw them up.

Note that I used large quick connects because I intended to use tewo 12 foot hose extensions, and a large -bore hose and fittings are needed to assure there is enough propane flow and pressure when extensions are used. Note that the standard Airstream quick-connect it smaller, 1/4 inch, I think. That would have to be changed out to use this exact setup. My Airstream did NOT have a propane port, so I added a tap, a shut-off valve, and a matching quick connect.

3/8 i.d. Hose and quick-connect package:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3/8 i.d. Quick connect fitting (male and female set) package:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please note these are NOT the quantities I used. There are just the critical parts. IIRC, I used two hose sets and three (or four) quick-connector sets, and had one side of a quick connect (male, I think) left over. I no longer have data on the brass adapter bits and pieces, but they were readily available in a well-stocked plumbing hardware department.

Note that I used the heavy yellow Teflon tape rated for gasoline and propane use, not the thin white stuff, for making up the connections. Be sure to leak test what you do. DO NOT LET ANY TEFLON TAPE GET INTO THE INTERNALS OF THE ADAPTERS, OTHER PARTS, HOSES, OR REGULATORS--IT WILL LAND WHERE IT CAN CAUSE THE MOST LEAKS OR BLOCKAGES. Leaking propane is no fun...unless you enjoy being in the center of a rapidly expanding fireball...

Please note: I am not a licensed plumber or propane piping expert by any stretch of the imagination. This data is presented as a look into what I used to connect my generator to my Airstream propane system. Use this data at your own risk. No warranty of the accuracy, safety, or suitability of ANY of this information for your purposes, education or potential use is made or implied.

Bottom line: You are on your own, bunkie!...
Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #187
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
A better method is to drain the carb bowl (after you've run it "dry" you'll be surprised how much fuel remains in that bowl) and siphon the automotive fuel out of the tank and use it in other equipment while it's still sufficiently fresh. Refill the gen tank with avgas (available at your local small airport) which has a 2-year shelf life and will not injure your little gen, and will also not contain ethanol that attracts humidity (another reason auto gas ruins small engines when stored for long periods.)
Question -
Rather than draining the carb bowl, would putting some avgas in the tank, and running it dry a couple of times have the same effect? On some gens, the bowl can be hard to get at...
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #188
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 27' International
carbondale , Colorado
THANKS so much to RMKRUM for that amazing ly detailed explanation of converting the generator lines. I ordered the material from amazon yesterday and look forward to duplicating his. Man, I love this site. You guys are the best! Ron.
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
I got my Champion 3400 dual fuel today. In the box...it was awkward. No easy hand holds and slippery. I got it into the truck and into the house, but was a little concerned about how it was going to be long term. I'm 8 months post surgery to remove a disc in my lower back and am not as "capable" as I used to be.

But...after I opened the box I was happy to see the two big handles on the top. Balanced the weight very well and made getting it from the ground to the truck and back much much easier. It's still heavy, but the handles make one person lift reasonable and two person lift pretty easy.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff7176 View Post
I'm 8 months post surgery to remove a disc in my lower back and am not as "capable" as I used to be.

But...after I opened the box I was happy to see the two big handles on the top. It's still heavy, but the handles make one person lift reasonable and two person lift pretty easy.
Here's how I beat the weight. A hydraulic table from HF. The generator (a Honda 3000 at 140 pounds.) stays on the table until I need it in the truck, then I roll it out, and pump up the table until it's even with the truck and scooch it in. (The 1000# table is required to reach full size tailgates, I waited until I had a 25% coupon.)
The lift also rolls easily on pavement and makes oil changes painless. When not putting it in the truck, it stays in the lowered position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22068.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	310705  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #191
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Seriously? Y’all can’t go camping without a 140-pound generator in your tow vehicle? Seriously?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Seriously? Y’all can’t go camping without a 140-pound generator in your tow vehicle? Seriously?
Well, yeah.
I can go camping in a tent too, but I don't want to. YMMV.
Why do I have a 140# generator? Because the 300# one was too expensive.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Why do I have a 140# generator? Because the 300# one was too expensive.[emoji38]
And too big, or I would have one also.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #194
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Which Generator??

It’s “Glamping” not “Camping” nowadays. Need air conditioning, kitchen, shower, comfy bed, and nice Airstream. Too old to handle sleeping on ground in a tent any more.

The problem with the ground is that it’s very difficult to get up off the ground in the morning—too old and creaky. Besides, over fifteen years as a Boy Scout leader comping almost anywhere has worn me out on ‘roughing it.’
Old 05-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It’s “Glamping” not “Camping” nowadays. Need air conditioning, kitchen, shower, comfy bed, and nice Airstream. Too old to handle sleeping on ground in a tent any more.

The problem with the ground is that it’s very difficult to get up off the ground in the morning—too old and creaky. Besides, over fifteen years as a Boy Scout leader comping almost anywhere has worn me out on ‘roughing it.’
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #196
Rivet Master

Corona , California
And, as a side note, DW thinks “roughing it” is doing without Television.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:23 AM   #197
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Same here. Genny must have. Scout leader, backpacker, hunter, now retired. Hot humid nights w/o genny? No way.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:45 AM   #198
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
National Park maximum noise is 60db at 50 feet.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #199
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-n-Janet View Post
Darn. Guess that means no more beans on the menu!
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-n-Janet View Post
I could not find that limit...I know when I asked in Glacier last year where those guys had industrial noisy generators, I was told by the Host, there was not a noise limit they had...please post if you see something that is National....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote