Old 01-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
I originally looked at the Champion 2000 (1700 running?) and in reading the test information from Easy Start, they mention that it would not run the 13,500btu A/C in my trailer with the Easy Start mod.
I considered the larger one, but really don't want to lug the weight around or lift it (still trying to understand the 7000watt Honda or Onan; I guess that works if you have a loader on a tractor to put it in your truck bed).
I took the easy route and went with the 2000i Honda, works great uses very little fuel and runs everything we need. That said, my old Generac 100db (kidding, but boy it was loud) 4000 home back-up generator bit the dust a couple months ago, but served us well for many years. So instead or replacing that, I bought another Honda 2000i (c), so we have 4000 watts now if we want it. And the ease of carrying the small Hondas around was what motivated me to buy it in the first place. As they say, your mileage may vary. A friend recently bought the Generac 2000 inverter and I must say that is a nice unit, but I bought my Honda for $899 and his Genera was $699, so for $200, I think I would do the Honda again.

PS, the Predator 3500 inverter being sold at Harbor Freight has my attention based on the many reviews I have read on it, may be worth considering for the price, but hopefully I am done for quite some time.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
I originally looked at the Champion 2000 (1700 running?) and in reading the test information from Easy Start, they mention that it would not run the 13,500btu A/C in my trailer with the Easy Start mod.
I considered the larger one, but really don't want to lug the weight around or lift it (still trying to understand the 7000watt Honda or Onan; I guess that works if you have a loader on a tractor to put it in your truck bed).
I took the easy route and went with the 2000i Honda, works great uses very little fuel and runs everything we need. That said, my old Generac 100db (kidding, but boy it was loud) 4000 home back-up generator bit the dust a couple months ago, but served us well for many years. So instead or replacing that, I bought another Honda 2000i (c), so we have 4000 watts now if we want it. And the ease of carrying the small Hondas around was what motivated me to buy it in the first place. As they say, your mileage may vary. A friend recently bought the Generac 2000 inverter and I must say that is a nice unit, but I bought my Honda for $899 and his Genera was $699, so for $200, I think I would do the Honda again.

PS, the Predator 3500 inverter being sold at Harbor Freight has my attention based on the many reviews I have read on it, may be worth considering for the price, but hopefully I am done for quite some time.
I would think with the Easystart, you should be fine with one Honda 2000? Your correct; the Champion 2400 would not start the 1500 AC's even with the EasyStart, which is one reason why I opted for the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel when we went to our new 28'. Other reason of course, was propane fuel. I did consider getting a second Champion 2400 and linking them together, like Honda and Yamaha 2000's offer. Just seems too much to fuss with; 2 generators to carry, more cables, 2 fuel tanks to watch, plus gas cans. The propane option on the Dual Fuel works great; the weight is a little less then 2 smaller generators, and sound/weight on the Champion Dual Fuel is comparable to more expensive Honda or Yamaha 3000 series. Worked well for us this summer and fall. I leave in the rear of the truck most times, but have moved it to different locations around the camp site's when staying longer then a couple nights. Lifting in/out of truck is not bad for me yet, and load handle/wheel assembly work well for maneuvering.

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The HF Predator does not offer any info as to WEIGHT. Hmmmnnn....

The reviews don't mention it either. And two reviews give it 5 stars... but downgrade it a bit on fuel capacity (2.6 gal) and oil access (difficult) and one mentions it seems to be "choked down" until he removed the lower cover...which then tends to cause the inverter to run hot.

I've got a Predator 8750 for a couple years and it's a good unit for the price and Consumer Reports gives it a Best Buy checkmark. But it's a contractor type, heavy, and not suitable for RV use in my opinion. I bought it to power a welder away from the house and for emerg. power.

I use a smaller contractor unit for camping but not where/when noise would be a concern for others. Boondocking mostly. (Lighter-wt PowerMate/Coleman 3125 liquidation sale at Pep Boys for $149 goes a long way to keeping me happy when I use it. Runs the AC or MW etc. and elect. chain saws away from home.)

Let me pass along a maintenance tip I learned after spending a day trying to figure out why it occasionally almost died....then caught itself and ran... over and over. Traced it to that little wire that comes out of the side of the crankcase on most generators.... the oil-level sensor/shut-down. The little float/sensor in the crankcase requires engine tear-down to replace it...and Why do we need this ...??? when we check oil regularly anyway...?? Cut the wire, tape the ends... and no problems. Runs great all the time. Easy fix.... IF you know that may be the problem. :wink:
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:58 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
The Honda eu3000is I use weighs about 155 lbs (it is slightly modified and is bolted to a LowPro Lockdown). I use gas because it is easier to find, produces slightly more electricity when running, and my propane tanks are locked and enclosed. The generator sits on a platform over the enclosed propane tanks on the tongue of the trailer.

When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis. Solely to keep peace in the family, I acquiesce to her considerations.

So... I use this to load and unload the generator:

Torin Big Red Steel Engine Hoist / Shop Crane with Foldable Frame, 2 Ton (4,000 lb) Capacity

Which I bought on sale at Harbor freight for a $100 in 2015 when I bought the generator. I load and unload the generator several times a year (mostly so I can justify the cost of the hoist to my wife).

This hoist has worked well for me in this capacity, but has also proved its worth in a couple of other ways, so money well spent. Wish I had bought this hoist long ago.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
I use one of these, works great for lifting my Champion Dual Fuel and breaks down fairly compact if I want to take it with me.
http://vikingsl.com/portfolio/rack-jack-magnum-out/
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Honda 2000 stil on gasoline, and an easy-start. I like simple and easy.. (pun intended.)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post

—————-snip————————
When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis. Solely to keep peace in the family, I acquiesce to her considerations.
———————snip——————-

Hm, I guess I’m not the only one facing that issue
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Hm, I guess I’m not the only one facing that issue
Hmmm; think it's catching...I'm only 67+1/2; I still think I look still look like Arnold in the mirror, but wife says not! I am plagued with the arthritis all over, bad knee, little spare tire roll, thinning gray hair, but I can still lift the 95lb generator without using help...I'm sure that will change sometime, now that I am reading about you older guys! Good to know there is a solution...hate to quit camping!
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
.....When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis. ....
Yep.... the ol' body is stiff everywhere... except where it needs to be.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
The Honda eu3000is I use weighs about 155 lbs
When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis.
I stopped looking in the mirror long ago, but use this Harbor Freight lift for the Honda 3000. When not in the truck, the gen lives on the lift. (The 500# version does not go high enough.)Wait for a 25% off sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22068.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	302394  
Old 01-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Had a good chuckle with that .... I have a soapstone woodstove that must weigh 400+ lbs and trying to find a way to get it out of the house and into the garage and sell it, but know we need to load it to whoever buys it. Those lifts may be just the ticket and my wife will clearly be in agreement
61 here and just trying to plan ahead...

Side note, my daughters boyfriend who spent a short time in the NFL and now CFL is home and a couple weeks ago gave me a hand moving the stove. He was able to relatively easily lift his side. I couldn't budge mine and I can say pretty confidently there used to be very little that I couldn't at least budge.
It was a sad realization for me, but one I try to accept and use all that "solution based knowledge" now residing in my brain to adjust for. And if it doesn't reside upstairs, I find this forum provides the balance.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

Elk Grove , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
You mean like a Champion generator? Best and quietest generator I have ever owned and it's a U.S. company.

I agree. We have a Champion inverter generator. After adding fuel and battery hookup, right out of he box the Champion cranks right up. It’s about as loud as a e-mower from 48’ away. Works like a charm and will run our AC and Microwave. Has Eco and normal/regular modes. When in eco, it will crank it up to run heavy duty items, and is still pretty quiet. If you get the key fob option, you can start/stop it remotely.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #69
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Sail with a group that is generally of the middle age to senior. One gentleman is over 80. So, regularly get schooled on how age is not always a disqualifier.

Eat well. Do your exercise. Use force multipliers. Stay the course. Pat
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #70
1 Rivet Member

Villa Park , Alabama
I run a Honda EU2000i by itself, but have never tried boondocking in a warm/hot climate. Therefore I've never seen the need for a second generator or an Easy Start. I've been able to power all the lights, the fridge, and even the toaster oven all at once. My dual fuel hot water heater had to stay on propane, but I would probably do that even with a sturdier generator.
I like the Honda because it's whisper quiet compared to just about anything else I've heard out there. Plus I keep mine in my truck bed with camper shell sliding window half open. Campsite neighbors don't even know it's there; they hear something, but figure it's a long way off.