Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
I use one of these, works great for lifting my Champion Dual Fuel and breaks down fairly compact if I want to take it with me.
http://vikingsl.com/portfolio/rack-jack-magnum-out/
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #62
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Honda 2000 stil on gasoline, and an easy-start. I like simple and easy.. (pun intended.)

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post

—————-snip————————
When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis. Solely to keep peace in the family, I acquiesce to her considerations.
———————snip——————-

Hm, I guess I’m not the only one facing that issue[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Hm, I guess I’m not the only one facing that issue[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Hmmm; think it's catching...I'm only 67+1/2; I still think I look still look like Arnold in the mirror, but wife says not! I am plagued with the arthritis all over, bad knee, little spare tire roll, thinning gray hair, but I can still lift the 95lb generator without using help...I'm sure that will change sometime, now that I am reading about you older guys! Good to know there is a solution...hate to quit camping!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
.....When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis. ....
Yep.... the ol' body is stiff everywhere... except where it needs to be.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
The Honda eu3000is I use weighs about 155 lbs
When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis.
I stopped looking in the mirror long ago, but use this Harbor Freight lift for the Honda 3000. When not in the truck, the gen lives on the lift. (The 500# version does not go high enough.)Wait for a 25% off sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22068.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	302394  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
When I look at myself in the mirror I see a 25 year old built like Dwayne Johnson or Arnold S (in his prime) and therefore able to lift such weight with ease. However when my wife looks at me she says she sees a 70 year old, overweight old fool with arthritis. Solely to keep peace in the family, I acquiesce to her considerations.
Had a good chuckle with that .... I have a soapstone woodstove that must weigh 400+ lbs and trying to find a way to get it out of the house and into the garage and sell it, but know we need to load it to whoever buys it. Those lifts may be just the ticket and my wife will clearly be in agreement
61 here and just trying to plan ahead...

Side note, my daughters boyfriend who spent a short time in the NFL and now CFL is home and a couple weeks ago gave me a hand moving the stove. He was able to relatively easily lift his side. I couldn't budge mine and I can say pretty confidently there used to be very little that I couldn't at least budge.
It was a sad realization for me, but one I try to accept and use all that "solution based knowledge" now residing in my brain to adjust for. And if it doesn't reside upstairs, I find this forum provides the balance.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Elk Grove , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
You mean like a Champion generator? Best and quietest generator I have ever owned and it's a U.S. company.

I agree. We have a Champion inverter generator. After adding fuel and battery hookup, right out of he box the Champion cranks right up. It’s about as loud as a e-mower from 48’ away. Works like a charm and will run our AC and Microwave. Has Eco and normal/regular modes. When in eco, it will crank it up to run heavy duty items, and is still pretty quiet. If you get the key fob option, you can start/stop it remotely.
Anywh3r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #69
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Sail with a group that is generally of the middle age to senior. One gentleman is over 80. So, regularly get schooled on how age is not always a disqualifier.

Eat well. Do your exercise. Use force multipliers. Stay the course. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
I run a Honda EU2000i by itself, but have never tried boondocking in a warm/hot climate. Therefore I've never seen the need for a second generator or an Easy Start. I've been able to power all the lights, the fridge, and even the toaster oven all at once. My dual fuel hot water heater had to stay on propane, but I would probably do that even with a sturdier generator.
I like the Honda because it's whisper quiet compared to just about anything else I've heard out there. Plus I keep mine in my truck bed with camper shell sliding window half open. Campsite neighbors don't even know it's there; they hear something, but figure it's a long way off.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmox View Post
I run a Honda EU2000i by itself, ... in my truck bed with camper shell sliding window half open. Campsite neighbors don't even know it's there; they hear something, but figure it's a long way off.
I'm sure you know not to occupy the truck... even in the cab... or place the dog inside ...even with a window "half-open"... as the CO build-up will still be considerable and long-term exposure is as dangerous at low-level as short-term exposure is at higher-levels. (You know that ... I just posted this for those who may not.)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I'm sure you know not to occupy the truck... even in the cab... or place the dog inside ...even with a window "half-open"... as the CO build-up will still be considerable and long-term exposure is as dangerous at low-level as short-term exposure is at higher-levels. (You know that ... I just posted this for those who may not.)

That is an excellent observation. I run the same type of setup and of course I exhaust the unit outside the camper, BUT, beware that it DOES NOT matter that you exhaust outside---the CO2 buildup is still very dangerous and occurs because engines manufacturer the stuff and it leaks into the environment. So be very careful.
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
... beware that it DOES NOT matter that you exhaust outside---the CO2 buildup is still very dangerous and occurs because engines manufacturer the stuff and it leaks into the environment.
Wait. A generator "manufacturers" CO2? Then the trees should love it! I think you intended to say a generator manufacturers CO, however, it goes out of the exhaust pipe.
I'm all in favor of safety, but let's be factual.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Wait. A generator "manufacturers" CO2? Then the trees should love it! I think you intended to say a generator manufacturers CO, however, it goes out of the exhaust pipe.
I'm all in favor of safety, but let's be factual.
It exhausts BOTH. ...along with nitrous oxide, CO, and water-vapor and a few other things.

Maybe your post wasn't intended to be accusative as it came across. It was easy to know what labans meant... even tho' his "typo" occured...it wasn't an attempt to be deceitful, misleading or non-factual.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Maybe your post wasn't intended to be accusative as it came across.
I never intend to be offensive. Overly direct, perhaps.
After all, it's only the internet, not to be taken too seriously. I love a spirited debate, but often come across as argumentative.
My spidy senses go off when I see CO2.
I guess a tiny part of the byproducts leak around the valves and seals, but the vast majority of noxious gasses go out the exhaust pipe.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
So, what all you guys are trying to say is: Don't occupy an enclosed space with a gas generator.
I'll have to try and remember that.
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Which Generator??

Yup exactly. Or anything else that burns fuel without a closed system for air and exhaust handling. Or forced air venting, to name a few.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is bad news. I remember witnessing the death of a neighbor who was apparently running a car in his garage. I was just a little kid at the time, but I remember his strange bright red skin color as the cops and firefighters tried to save him.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
My point was... you don't even have to be in the same enclosed space as the generator. When I lived in town, my neighbor was almost killed when she warmed up her car in the garage... while she prepared school lunches in the kitchen for her kids.
If the kids had not come into the kitchen when they did... she'd likely have been found by them already-deceased. The kitchen and garage didn't even share a common-wall.... there was a utility-room in-between....and the garage door was OPEN.
It was surmised the north-wind was blowing into her north-facing open garage door keeping the exhaust gases inside the house.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
Re: Co2

OMG a Typo!!! OMG a TYPO!!
I admit a mistrake here, folks. Brain was thinking carbon monoxide and fingers were typing carbon dioxide.

And the more I think about it, I am sure that what I was really trying to say was that after 60 years of playing with engines, I just want to assure everyone that ALL ENGINES LEAK ALL KINDS OF CRAP!!!! Many different fumes can come from engines for a variety of reasons so I am just saying to always be very careful and FULLY VENT any internal combustion when running.
Thank you.
ps I am not offended
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Lots of good safety related thoughts here. Let’s all be darned careful, especially in cold weather...