Old 12-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico

I've had my share of up-ending and resultant raspberries for sure. I've not wrecked the treasure chest yet though. Actually my worst injuries were gotten while road riding...hit twice in one week. Broken clavicle, torn rotator cuff. Even my helmet was in two pieces. Took me about 8 weeks just to get back on the road because even though I did everything right I still got taken out. It shook my confidence a bit. Anyway, off topic. I love riding the forest roads and mountain trails. At 60 I'm not entering anymore races but I still enjoy the solitude of two rolling tires and fresh mountain air. I think we will stick to familiar forest roads here for the first several attempts just to shake things out and bond with our Safari. I hope to do some AS exploring next year though. My trusty Cannondale will help me to forge the path. Tom

twh731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
Ray, a trail bike would definitely be an advantage for a speedier version of the same thought. My Cannondale Furio has a front suspension but hard tail frame so I do get my teeth rattled a bit. I actually rode it down the ski slope in Angel Fire...once. Never again. Thought I was gonna die. Those slope surfaces aren't as tranquil as they look from the bottom! Tom

twh731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #17
2005 28' International CCD
end of the road

our airstream took us to paradise..After a 1000 nights on the road looking....

we found it...if one could find a place like this to park your'd never leave...

Orcas Island, Washington...has a big moat around it....

and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is a really neat and heartwarming story about wild mustangs in the West....trained by inmates to be mounts for Border Guards, chasing illegal immigrants and bad guys.

It just seemed to belong in one of Ray's threads...

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
San Mateo , California
Staying light on the trail

Purchasing a 23' Flying Cloud after 20 years of family fun in a 19' "Little White Box" travel trailer, that because of it's weight (3,000 lbs) and maneuverability, allowed us to do 90% of our camping off the grid. As Airstream measures it's trailers from hitch to bumper, I guess I am about the same total length. Do you guy's think I can still answer the call of the wild with my new purchase??
Thanks Team Stream
garylind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Garylind... you can go "further in the wild" than the larger trailers. The 23 footers are the Ruby Slippers in travel comfort, anywhere there is a passable road.

Keep a close eye on the 14" Load Range C Marathon tires. They are less reliable than a bicycle tire on a gravel road. That is the weak link on the 23 foot Airstream. I went to other brands that I found myself to be more reliable, after numerous problems already discussed on the Forum for some Marathon tires. Not all, but the 14" for me were chronic problems.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote