Old 03-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I live in northern Vermont and our home water is pumped directly to my house from Lake Champlain. It goes through a couple of filters plus an ultraviolet light, but we don't drink it. We wash and do everything else with it except drink a glass of it.
I just filled my Airstream water today since I'm taking off for a trip south on Sunday (weather permitting). I did put some Clorox in, but won't drink any tank water no matter where I fill it. Just sayin...

Old 04-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb55 View Post
I live in northern Vermont and our home water is pumped directly to my house from Lake Champlain. It goes through a couple of filters plus an ultraviolet light, but we don't drink it. We wash and do everything else with it except drink a glass of it.
I just filled my Airstream water today since I'm taking off for a trip south on Sunday (weather permitting). I did put some Clorox in, but won't drink any tank water no matter where I fill it. Just sayin...
sb55 - What do you use for drinking water? Bottled water from a retail store? How about water that will become part of cooked food?

Old 04-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I carry two 5-gallon jugs to which I had added a brass threaded water spigot to each of their caps. The "kit" includes, as well, a 2-1/2 foot length of clear plastic tubing with a brass female hose fitting, a "water-thief" and a 4-foot light-weight step ladder.

Anytime I come upon a water supply, I can fill a 5-gallon jug using the short clear plastic hose. When I get back to my AS, I set up the ladder beside the fresh water tank fill and hoist the 5-gallon water jug onto the flip-down tray which is meant to hold a of paint, attach the clear hose to the spigot, slip the end of the hose into the water fill and open the valve and let nature do the rest.

I also have the QC ADC water filter mounted under the kitchen counter with its own spigot for filtered water - that's the water we use for drinking & cooking.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
sb55 - What do you use for drinking water? Bottled water from a retail store? How about water that will become part of cooked food?
Marty,

We don't drink from the tank either. Normally stop and purchase one gal jugs and use it for cooking and to refill S'well bottles. They fit nicely dress right dress under the dining table.

Bug
Old 04-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post

For our house, we have a separate reverse osmosis faucet in the kitchen. So I guess that we do actually drink lake water. That takes care of our drinking and cooking water.
In the AS we buy 1 gallon bottles even when hooked to a hose. Tummy "issues" from different water sources aren't fun any time, but especially on the road. At about $1.00/gallon/day it's not a big deal and they store pretty easily.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #20
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Most RV parks will let you use their sani-dump and culinary water facility for a fee. In the West it's generally $10.

It's a good idea to travel with a jerry can that has a long nozzle, plus a funnel, in case the water tap available can't screw into your water hose. If you might have trouble lifting it when it's full, fill it only part way.

A small amount of laundry bleach (such as Clorox) can be used to purify your water tank in an emergency. The ratio is something like 1/2 tsp per 8 gallons of water.