Old 07-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The water pump takes 5 to 7 amps. Lets take the highest number, 7 amps.

It pumps 3 to 5 gal/minute. Lets take the lowest number.

In one hour the pump could pump 3gal x 60 minutes = 180 gal. Since an Airstream generally has a 30 to 40 gal tank (mine only has 23 gal tank) you would pump it dry in about 10 to 13 minutes.

10 minutes is 1/6 th of an hour.

So, a 7 amp pump load for 1/6 th of an hour amounts to slightly more than one amp hour to pump your tank dry.

The capacity of most two battery Airstream batteries is about 150 amp hours total.

The pump is NOT a major draw on your batteries. You will run out of water far faster.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
At 50 degrees my furnace runs for 6 minutes and shuts off for 10, 8 if it's windy. Split the diff and it's 40% run time. 4.5 amps @ run X 40% = 1.8 amp hours of consumption per hour. Furnace will suck a 80 amp hour battery dry in 44 hours of run time. A good sleeping bag comes highly recommended. First person up in the AM turns on the heat and starts the coffee.

Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master
We camp off the grid most of the time we use our trailer.
I don't waste power by turning on all the lights but I don't skimp either. If it is hot, I run the fan. If it is cold I run the furnace. The pump is on all the time (its not using electricity unless it is pumping. The fridge is on all the time. I have a small solar panel and regulator. If I don't run the furnace, the solar will keep the batteries fully charged on sunny days.
On cloudy days or when it is cold and the furnace runs. I run my generator for two hours in the evening.
If I don't have close neighbors, I run the generator in the morning for an hour to make coffee. I like multiple cups.
We have upgraded to group 27 batteries which do fit in the stock battery box barely. We have added a propane catalytic heater which we don't run when we are sleeping but use to keep the trailer comfortable when we are in it.
You will find that if you boondock a lot, solar and generator are necessary. You will also find that upgrades like led lighting and a catalytic heater make things more comfortable. In fact we are just as comfortable off the grid as on it and we are camping in much more scenic places.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1978 28' Ambassador
Columbia , Connecticut
Thanks to all good ideas
Ducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We are "old school" so our two batteries last a long time.... our Bambi uses convection for refrig, so no fans, our heater uses convection, so no fans. The only thing we use power for is lights and the water pump. When boondocking, we use the lights as little as possible and are super careful with the water. We usually run out of water before batteries.... but we have managed a week (by having water nearby) without recharge.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson!

My blogs:
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote