Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wentworth , South Dakota
Emerald Ash Bore will make Pine beetle like like a day at the beach before it is done. It is a real natural catastrophe.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
As of July 2010, EAB had been found in 15 states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesotta, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin and West Virginia, plus two Canadian provinces.

Frequently Asked Questions | MDC

There is a national effort to limit the spread and impact of EAB. A national plan, coordinated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), guides what federal, state and local officials must do to manage this insect. Infested areas are quarantined, which means that selected materials such as firewood from deciduous trees, ash nursery stock, and ash logs may not be moved out of infested areas. Where outlying infestations are detected, large numbers of infested ash trees are sometimes cut and destroyed to reduce EAB populations. Research is underway in many universities and government agencies to find better ways to detect and manage this pest.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Being the self-sufficient types, we often don't spend any money in the local economy when camping (aside from the camping fee).

I don't mind a campground selling firewood to generate some cash flow, especially if the campground (state parks specifically) keeps the money to spend on the campground.

I'll gladly spend the occassional $5 on local firewood if it contributes to healthy forests.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Close to Home

A year before the ban on moving trees from Michigan a local upscale shopping center was built a couple miles from me. They purchased their Ash trees in MI because they were $1.25 less per tree.

EAB was found and the State of OH spent hundreds of thousands cutting down every Ash in a mile radius to try and stop the spread. EAB showed up in our development this spring - including my back yard. 10 of 27 trees in my yard are Ash. One third of the developments street trees are Ash and the State and City have given up trying to control the spread. The street trees are now 20 years old and just coming into that beautiful spread on the streets - mine are much older. In two or three years nearly a thousand street trees will be dead or dying. When it comes home - you'll know what the big deal is.

A few pics of one corner of my yard - an infected tree and the woodpecker damage that just adds to the damage to the trees cambium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00649 - Copy.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	108375   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00650 - Copy.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	108376  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00651.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	108377  
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
It is a worthy effort to try to save the Ash trees. Unfortunately from what I have read and heard, in the end it is likely a hopeless cause. I guess at some time they will breed a new Ash tree that is resistant to the beetle but until they they will sadly continue to disappear. One area that will really be impacted is the baseball bat industry, as I understand it, most bats are currently made out of Ash. As a matter of fact Louisville Slugger Baseball Bat Co. has this on their website.... Louisville Slugger - The Slugger Story What the heck, I think the Tree of Heaven is going to take over everything anyway (at least around here). Man I don't understand why property owners don't cut those things down, but that's a whole 'nother topic!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Im thinking about taking a 2 man crosscut saw with me to cut firewood from downed trees when I get thare. AS far as I know that is totaly OK as long as you are using muscle power. Shouldn't take much time to get all the fire wood you want and you can take it back to camp to split in tree trunk form, easier to carry that way. I think it will pack under my mattress easily with the handles removed. Just like being a kid again!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
EAB is the excuse.

However, state parks in those portions of Minnesota that lack ash trees still maintain this draconian policy. EAB does not have alternate hosts and if transported to a region where there are no ash trees, it will not reproduce.

Another DNR policy that lacks any sound basis in biology.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Not many places lack ash trees. They might in a few years when the EAB gets done blowing through our native ash population. There are experiments using 3 predatory wasps that only eat EAB. Hopefully that will eventually stop it. I still take firewood when I camp but I stick with species that do not have insect problems (beech for one). I also de-bark my firewood and keep it in the back of my truck wrapped in a tarp until I am ready to throw it on the fire.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Not many places lack ash trees.
They only grow so far north.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Fun facts: In the 1870's, ash became a very popular wood for furniture. The grain is similar to oak, but tighter. In about 10 years, so much ash had been cut down and tastes had changed anyway, that people went back to oak. This was also a period when Eastlake designs were popularized, a reaction to the ornate Victorian furniture. A lot of early Eastlake furniture is ash, not oak. Eastlake was a British designer; he never produced furniture, just designs. Eastlake's designs provided the basis for Art Nouveau, Arts and Crafts, Craftsman, and other designs that became popular at the end of the Victorian era. I may even be right about this.

How do I know this?—I bought an ash Eastlake dining room table in the 1970's from a real estate agent and her much younger toy boy for next to no money (maybe $100) as she was slowly liquidating the family riches. There were also Eastlake chairs that may be oak or ash—I can't tell. I think they came for a couple of bucks each.

Ash, therefore, was once pretty much all cut down, and came back. Hopefully, it will come back again. We have lost elm trees and other species over the years. My 8th grade teacher used to talk about how the linden trees in NYC died when she was young—since I was in 8th grade (this was before junior high schools became popular) eons ago and that teacher seemed 800 years old then, that was a long, long time ago. There are die offs of aspen (sudden aspen death, SAD) that are not well understood. Noxious weeds like thistles are being spread all over. The automobile spreads a lot of this faster than it ever spread before as seeds stick to tires and bad bugs take a ride with cut wood.

Did I do another hijack? I seem to do that all the time.

Gene
Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
I have a rather unique job.

I fly aerial surveys in a Cessna 182 for the US Forest Service in search of dead and dying trees caused by bark beetles, moths etc. then make GIS maps of # of affected trees per acre.

A flight over ANY of the 18 National Forests in California reveals large areas of orange trees, being killed by beetles.

In British Columbia it's now easier to map the live trees than the dead ones!

Please help save our forests. Do not translocate "firewood" just for momentary pleasure.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If you are not cooking or trying to chase mosquitos with smoke, please don't have a fire in the close quarters of most cg, and if you do, how about putting it out when you are finished. Nothing worse than having a cg filled with smoke from smolderin fires when you open the windows for some fresh air in the relative wilderness.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
EAB is the excuse.

However, state parks in those portions of Minnesota that lack ash trees still maintain this draconian policy. EAB does not have alternate hosts and if transported to a region where there are no ash trees, it will not reproduce.

Jammer - this is probably why you also have the ban rather than the State trying to pick individual parks that you can move wood to:

On May 14, 2009, spread of the emerald ash borer was confirmed by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture in St. Paul, Minnesota.[14] This represents the most westerly location it has been found thus far in North America.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
EAB is the excuse.

The EAB can live on the bark of trees without killing them, while spreading to other areas and looking for trees it prefers. So, the policy makes sense even if YOU can't see damage or disease spread.