Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Whats the best generator?

Another item we are shopping for and researching is the right generator for the back of the truck. What all will the generator run?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
That's easy; the Honda EU3000, (if you can lift it) it'll run tons of stuff and keep running quietly.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I think you need to ask yourself how loud are you willing to put up with? My budget will not allow me to buy a quiet Honda so I had to shop other brands. I use a 3500/3000 running watt champion generator. I bought it a couple of years ago the day after Christmas from Tractor supply. I did not pay over $280.00 for it. It was a great deal. It works great for me because I do not use it in a camp ground. I use it out in the middle of the country and it powers everything I need in my 1973 Overlander. I can run my air and all other appliances with it.

I doubt you could use it at an airstream ralley or a park. It would be to loud. When I went to my very first ralley we were given the OK to use the generator. I have to use it for my CPAP machine when I sleep. The first night I used it (68 decibles) the campers next to us came over and asked us to turn it off because they found the noise very annoying. I complied with their request and had to endure without my CPAP machine. I personally do not find it that loud. When I camp with it the noise is not bad for me. It seems somewhat loud when you are standing right next to it.

Brian
Old 11-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Everyone says Honda or Yamaha. Both are very good.
I couldn't afford them, so I went with the Champion 1600 watt unit from Costco. Less than $500.00 You can "stack" two together. It's 53 dB, so I think it compares to the Honda.
It runs what I need, and I'm happy with the Champion. It's well built, too.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I wanted the smallest, lightest, quietest, and most cost effective single portable generator that could run my air conditioner. At 70 lbs, 2400/2000 watts, and under $1100.00 it was the Yamaha 2400. Not to mention that the blue goes good with the stripes on my trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I doubt you could use it at an airstream ralley or a park. It would be to loud. When I went to my very first ralley we were given the OK to use the generator. I have to use it for my CPAP machine when I sleep.
I use a CPAP as well; I find it runs fine on a 1000W inverter. It only draws a couple of amps at 12V; we have two batteries and the solar panels easily make up the draw the next day. I have had problems w/ small inverters failing to handle the inrush current at startup.

We have our inverter mounted in the same compartment as the battery box (short cables); one can access the power via an exterior outlet... so how do we use it inside? We unplug the converter (same compartment), flip the breaker off on the AC, and plug the outside power cord into the outside outlet. Now all the outlets are live in the trailer :-), and I'm sleeping well with the CPAP machine.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
I purchased a Honeywell 2000 It is very quiet and seems to work for my needs Haven't used it all night but I think it will be OK
Don
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I tested the Champion last week, and used it Monday and Tuesday.
Very quiet, and gives a full 1600 watts as advertised.
Gets a little loud when under full load.
I'm happy so far...
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
"What will the generator run?" What do you want it to run??

A 2000 will run everything but the airconditioner. 2-2000 (paralleld) or one 3000 will run the airconditoner also. One 1000 generator will run stuff and will recharge the battery. I personally carry a Honda 2000 since I can carry it in the bed of the truck and run it on the tailgate. It is overkill for the way I use it, but that is fine. If it had to fit in a car I would might have bought a 1000. We run the airconditioning when on land power. If it is real hot and the fantastic fans are not enough my first thought is to move to location that is cooler or has power. If I end up just having to boondock where it is hot I could add another generator, but so far have not had to do that.
A consideration for me was lifting the generator. Might not be a worry for other folks.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #10

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We have an 06 Bambi with the 11,000 btu ac and our Yamaha 2400ishc runs it fine. It's 75 pounds but I can move it in/out fairly easy. All depends what you need to use it for.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
One of the dealers I talked to says that he highly suggests carrying 2 1000w - easier to heft around, only use one if you only need one, have both if you need both.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We use the Honda 3000 w/elect. start. I chain it in the bed of my truck at the beginning of camping season and it stays there until the snow flies. I have a come-a-long rigged up in my barn to raise the gen. into the truck so I don't have to lift it. In 2.5 years it has never missed a beat, powers our Air and when no air is needed it runs everything else on eco mode (lower rpms). It will run the air all night long on 1 tank of gas. On eco mode it will run for up to 20 hrs. After I start the gen. I leave the bed cover half open and close the tail gate which dampens the sound even more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0818.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	146185  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #13

2011 28' International
Bradford , Massachusetts
We have a Honda 3000eu
Worth every penny
I even back feed into the house when we loose power to get heat and run the refrigerator
Bjleci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Not trying to hijack, quick question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
We use the Honda 3000 w/elect. start. I chain it in the bed of my truck at the beginning of camping season and it stays there until the snow flies. I have a come-a-long rigged up in my barn to raise the gen. into the truck so I don't have to lift it. In 2.5 years it has never missed a beat, powers our Air and when no air is needed it runs everything else on eco mode (lower rpms). It will run the air all night long on 1 tank of gas. On eco mode it will run for up to 20 hrs. After I start the gen. I leave the bed cover half open and close the tail gate which dampens the sound even more.
I have a EU3000I generator and it looks like you have the same, beings that its electirc start it should be. (I dont think the Handi Model has electic start)
My question is, did you have to remove the legs off the bottom of the generator to get the bed cover to close over it?
I have a retrax sliding bed cover on our TV and when I load the generator my bedcover hits the gas cap on the generator. Im thinking if I remove the legs off the bottom of the generator that would deduct about 2'' or so and it would fit then.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Mr & Mrs S - My cover rolls closed and just touches the gas cap so it worked out perfect. I'm sure that you can remove the legs. That should give you the the clearance you need.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote