Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Maybe start with federal sites that offer no amenities, dry camping there rather than heading miles down a dirt road.
<snip>

Maggie
^ ^ ^
That's my recommendation too.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminaut View Post
<snip>

so, what stops me?

i seem to have one major fear. that's the fear of not knowing
It is daunting to travel into the unknown. But, in my travels I've figured out most people are good people. Just like where ever you live there are the few locations/people that are not safe to be around. Don't stay in those types of places.

We have traveled months at a time without reservations. If we find a place we want to stay, we do. If we feel uncomfortable we keep moving. With home on wheels (and the internet) it's easy.

I've also noticed that many "city" people are afraid of the "country" remote locations and wildlife. I assure you country is safer than city.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Aluminaut, I hear ya. I'm always looking ahead down the road when I trailer. I want to know how I'm going to get in and out of every trailering situation. If I wanted to boon dock, my first few events would be scouted out first with my truck, until I was comfortable with all of my equipment and resources. One last bit of knowledge that assures me I'll be ok, is that, if I got in, I will be able to get out; even if I have to back up all the way. If you really want this, make it happen, go at your own pace, trust your gut, you got this.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My first experience boondocking was actually at a campground in Key West, FL. The Navy Base has a campground with 95 hook up sites and over 400 boondocking. Depending on time of year, everyone who arrives is placed on a wait list for the hook up sites. Time can vary from 2 days up to 3 weeks. But whoever is using the hook ups is still limited to 15 days, then they must rotate like the rest.

I arrived in February at height of season and was told wait time was 10 days...that turned into 18 days and I was not prepared. First problem, after two days my frig stopped operating on propane. Lost all the food except for what was in ice chests.

Second problem was batteries were weak, solar panel was not keeping them charged which required regular use of propane generator. Ran it 1 hour in morning and 1 hour at night which was somewhat adequate, however, propane generators use about 1 gal per hour under load. This would also bring my frig back online but not enough to cool.

Third problem was onboard propane tank held 17 gals which lasted about 7 days. Had to pack up and drive across town for refill. That in itself became a problem when about day 10, Airstream would not start. Bought new batteries and that did not help either. Turned out the starter was bad on the engine!! $250 later with new starter and motor working; rumors of another week on the wait list were circulating so decided I had enough boondocking for that trip. Packed up and drove back to Ft. Lauderdale where I stayed another week on full hookups.

Having that experience exposed me to the limits of my Airstream and how a trip can turn into one problem after another. Takes all the fun away. The end result of my 18 day boondocking was a new engine starter, new frig control board, and new batteries. Before I ever do that again will replace the solar panels too.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
thanks much for the many, varied responses to this post. this is a thoughtful community for sure. i'm going to pour through this wisdom here and you'll have some of my feedback later today for any interested to hear.

thanks again!
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #26
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Never consider anything else - we just went out in faith (spelt R.I.S.K) it's worked for us for 20 years...
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
We are not planners. Don't reserve spots, except maybe same day; that is, an hour or two from the campground then call for a spot that same day: This includes San Jose, CA in private campgrounds. We stay in a lot of primitive campgrounds on BLM and Fed and State Forests. But I thought boondocking was just going off into public land and finding a flat spot and set up for 2 weeks or so. "Or so" meaning until someone comes by and tells you to leave, which does not happen all that often. Boondocking and primitive camping are not the same, at least for us. We do it all. We camp about 100 to 150 nights a year, in a block. We have camped in the Mid W, W, SW. Have not made it to the NE or the New England states, and not really much of the SE. Also try city and county campgrounds, if the surrounding land is all privately owned. Unfortunately, the next four years may see a lot of the federal lands sold off, which means there will be less of a chance to Boondock or have Federal primitive campgrounds available.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Dream and reality don't always mesh. Meh. Go with what works for you. There's plenty of quality RV experiences that aren't boondocking. Do what makes you happy.
Do some two-bocking first.

1) go to a rally
2) or post "anyone interested in going to"
3) meet and go for 2 to 4 days
4) evaluate how you liked it
5) repeat or launch

I am no longer confident that I can muscle my way out of most messes. Small group, caravan, or rallys are still fun. And when I need an assist, I always offer wine, Dicor, a Camping World gift card, etc.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What? No Boondocking? Wait a minute, while I always say I boondock I really am not. I do dry camp, a lot though. I used to boondock when I had my tent trailer. Would drag it across a field and set up next to a river or lake to fish. When I stepped up to a regular trailer, I only did this once but now that I have the Airstream the thought of pulling it through rough land is not in my view. I grew up in Victorville, CA and know that if I lived there there would be lots of places I might boondock. I think we all are a little aware of safety issues so I like the idea of "two-bocking". Great suggestion.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree...two-bocking!

Great idea, Paula!

Maggie
Old 12-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
There is always a spot to boondock. May not be exactly what you want but you can always find something
To this point, many know Elizabeth Jose who excels in Airstream paintings. On her way to the Texas Air Rally, she boondocked about 10 miles north of us, in a small roundabout, creekside, at Camp Verde, Texas. The only existence there is a post office and darn nice restaurant. Certainly not a published site. To the comments of someone else, allow enough daylight for a “plan B or C”..
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I too, am a planner. But my wife and I are almost exclusively boondockers as well. Spontaneity is a total enigma to me. People who say they just jump in the truck and see where it takes them,... well, that's just crazy talk.

I plan my boondocking adventures down to the very last detail that I can. This planning always includes contingency plans. I will research an area and map every point that looks like it might be a suitable campsite. I'm pretty good at deciphering aerial photography, and can usually find multiple options. I'll research and map all routes in, and make sure I can get out without much difficulty if things go wrong. As a last resort, I always know where the nearest Forest Service, Corps, or State campground is, and I've had to go with that option occasionally. There have been a few times that a nearby Walmart was my last resort. Fortunately, I've never had to use that option. When traveling across the country, especially when heading east, we often stay in small town city parks. The crux of that type of trip is figuring out just how far to travel in a day. Too far and my back is screaming by the end of the day, too short, the wife is bored. Sometimes she will foolishly suggest going onto the next town. "Well, that's not the plan. We make a plan, and we work the plan. Now stop the crazy talk."

Modern computer mapping opens a giant world of research options. The amount of data out there is mind boggling. Figuring out where to find it is the biggest problem. If you can imagine a piece of information that would be helpful in making a decision, it's probably already on a map somewhere.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Aluminsaut,

Lots of good answers already.

I like the one that indicates our daydreams and reality are not always in sync.

I fantasize that someday we'll sell all our possessions and live a minimalist life roaming the entire country in our Airstream. Likely will never happen as we love our new old money pit house, our acre in the city and won't want to be away from the kids and grandkids that long.

One way to find a boon/dry/non hookup spot is to navigate in advance. Do a daylight exploration drive and find something within an hour or two in just your truck. Then explore various road and turn offs and their potential. If you like what you find save yourself good directions and how many viable spots (in case someone parks in yours) and turnarounds there are. When you get home check out the area on Google maps to know your greater surroundings and closest town or gas station.

When you come back with your trailer you'll know where you are going and the "unknown" at the end of the road.

When you get there get yourself turned around in daylight in case you need to leave before it gets light.

A bike is another good way to drive down a road for a couple miles to see what there is.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
In the Mountain West (and PNW), I've never not been able to find a place to camp (but no experience with the AS in CA). Have a plan and show up mid afternoon (3-4 pm). If it's full up, I move on and look for something else. In 3 years and 15K miles, I've always been able to find something before happy hour has passed, not once yet a rest stop or Walmart! ; ) It helps to have a few good apps on the phone and a copilot doing research before we lose signal!
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We never really plan...we just know what direction and where we want to end up..we wing it...never a problem...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:57 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Start at a spot close to home. Use a check list. Plan on setting up before lunch. Plenty of time for Plan B & C or the unknown issues you may fear to be worked through that way. RV folks are some of the friendliest and most helpful people you find.
Worry is just being scared of something that hasn’t and probably won’t happen.
Go for it. It’ll be worth it.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #37
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We’re fully rigged with solar and lithium to camp indefinitely without hookups as long as we can find the occasional dump station. Even so, we have found that we prefer to dry camp vs actually boondocking. We like established campgrounds with no hookups, such as those in National Parks and National Forests. We’re just more comfortable there, for many of the reasons you cited. Nothing wrong with that. Our trailer gets a good workout, we camp in wonderful places for a week or two where most RV’ers can only stay a night or two without breaking out the generators, and we have a great time doing it. Oh yes, whenever possible be sure to ask for a site in a loop that prohibits generators, as that makes for a better dry-camping experience.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #38
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
We love National Parks, most of those only have Dry Camping - some of the lesser known parks and monuments are terrific, our favorite is Navajo NM. Always plenty of room, no hookups of any kind. Pick a lesser known park and call and ask the rangers what your chances will be - chances are you will be absolutely fine, even if your spot is just OK. You can often "upgrade" to a better spot in a day or two. Rarely have we been caught out with a "no room at the inn" situation at a lesser known park - plan to arrive by 2-3 o'clock and if there is no room the rangers are always helpful in pointing out a nearby plan B such as BLM land.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Hey, you know what they say.

Try it, you'll like it.

There are so many reasons to love boondocking. The quiet solitude and the stars at night are my personal favorites.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #40

2006 22' International CCD
Fairfax , California
Camping apps rule!

We ONLY boondock because the idea of camping with wall-to-wall campers isn’t our idea of getting away from it all. My two suggestions are use apps and plan on getting to your camp spot right after lunch (gives you plenty of time to move on if need be). We ALWAYS use two apps before finding a spot: Campendium and Overlander (main app for boondockers). The trick is to make sure you research your camp area while you still have internet or cellular connection. Ha! These two apps tell you terrain, places to avoid if your have a certain size rig, favorite locations, etc. Take a deep breath and GO.
lgpattillo is offline   Reply With Quote