Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
What is the most remote place you've ever taken your AS?

I've owned several Jeeps over the years, and did a lot of primitive camping in places not many get to go. I'm much older now and this old body can't sleep on a stoney ground anymore, without being in pain the next day.

Just wondering how far away from civilization you've taken you're AS. Boondocking in an AS in the most remote places appeals to me.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Probably the most remote place was way back in 1979 or 80 when we drove the South Canol (Canadian oil) road in the Yukon. Very remote, not sure if you can even get through anymore.

But you don't have to be real far away to be remote, nor do you have to drive terrible roads. There are lots and lots of Forest Service campgrounds which are little used and very quiet, at least in parts of Idaho and Montana and Washington. Just go slightly off season. Like now.

Tonight I am at a Forest Service Campground called Indian Trees, just north of Lost Trail Pass in Montana. It is about a half mile off the main highway 93. Very nice place, and after Sept 1, no fees at all. Last night I was at Lake Alva FS campground, north of Seeley Lake MT, again, no fees, quiet and almost no one there. BTW, net service from Verizon at both, which is how I can post this.

So, remote is more of a state of mind to me. If there is no one nearby, I call it remote. If I am the only one in the campground, it is remote. If it is quiet, it is remote. And 99.9% of RV people never go to these places. They want, need, crave hookups. I like to be comfortable and independent with lights, heat and so on, but not have any connections or services other than what I carry with me.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
...remote is more of a state of mind to me. If there is no one nearby, I call it remote.
Thank you, and I totally agree. When I was young, a friend and I tent camped most of California in the off season. It was in the early spring when we came into Yosemite, and while we weren't alone, there weren't a lot of people there, it was a life changing experience for me.

You're so right, maybe remote is just being away from crowds. I left a job in Dallas for a job with Amazon in Seattle eleven years ago, and we drove from Dallas to Seattle, accidentally stopping by one of the most beautiful places along the way, The Great Sand Dunes, in Colorado. My children, now almost grown, still talk about that visit.

In fact years earlier, we stayed at a KOA in Chunky, MS. Walking back to our campsite after taking my youngest to the bathroom, I looked up and the Milky Way was in view better than I have ever seen it. I showed it to Willow and we laid on the ground looking at it. She's 14 now and it is her earliest memory.

I suppose it isn't being remote as much as being away from the distractions of our modern world.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Last summer on the edge of Dease Lake , off the Cassier Highway , heading south out of the Yukon Territory. Very little traffic on this road , and we were able to maneuver to a spot to where the awning was almost over the water . What a wonderful spot to sit enjoying some fresh coffee and watch the sun setting behind the mountains on the far side of the mirror glass smooth water. Seemed as if there were no one else around for hundreds of miles in any direction. Peaceful ! to say the least !
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I've got Fl gator plates on my truck. Camped in Ohio shortly after Fl beat Ohio state in football for the national championship several years ago. Never felt so isolated or remote in my life! Does that count? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Last summer on the edge of Dease Lake , off the Cassier Highway , heading south out of the Yukon Territory. Very little traffic on this road , and we were able to maneuver to a spot to where the awning was almost over the water . What a wonderful spot to sit enjoying some fresh coffee and watch the sun setting behind the mountains on the far side of the mirror glass smooth water. Seemed as if there were no one else around for hundreds of miles in any direction. Peaceful ! to say the least !
Camped at that same lake on the way to Alaska in '10. Beautiful!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Spent a week alongside a stream in the Gunnison Nat'l Forest about 20 miles from the nearest paved road.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Corbett, OR.

Running low on gas, got off I-84 at Corbett, Oregon. Didn't know it was straight up hill with 180° switchbacks.

Shoulda waited for the next exit.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have my generator on order and have a boondocking weekend planned with a buddy - he owns a "remote" lake property - no one around for a mile or more - psyched - good access too

I've been already researching the web for remote sites USFS, wildlife management areas, and found some primitive CoE places to try out that seem to have "spots" developed but barely used

With just a bit of research and a bit of scouting - you can feel more isolated easy it seems

Y'all out west are quite spoiled and I can only imagine parts of Canada offer amazing possibilities

I think for me for the most remote locally - I will scout a lot up around fort Payne AL - I love it up there and I hope I can find a spot to get away in that area as I love it there - let the search begin

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
I camped there in the early 80's with the Airstream. Even more remote at that time.

(dontcha just hate those kind of I did it before you kind of comments...LOL)
Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
My father-in-law's deer lease in East Texas back in the early '70s. Down many miles of one lane dirt road. The only things along that road thru the piney woods of East Texas were oil wells.

No sounds of civilization at all. Just us and the deer, squirrels, and birds. Not quite the end of the world, but very close. Almost Heaven!
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Corbett, OR.

Running low on gas, got off I-84 at Corbett, Oregon. Didn't know it was straight up hill with 180° switchbacks.

Shoulda waited for the next exit.
Caught my attention with that one,my older brother lives right close to Corbett, know the area well. Wish i would have moved out there when i was young like he did.
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I camped there in the early 80's with the Airstream. Even more remote at that time.

(dontcha just hate those kind of I did it before you kind of comments...LOL)
We boondocked for a month up the original Alkan through British Columbia, Yukon Territory , and Alaska back in 1970 , before there was a Cassier Highway . Great adventure with the road being mostly as the US Army left it , and Dirt, Rocks and mud the whole way . A lot of the old Army buildings and runways were still there and made great campsites for the night.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
That is as remote as I would EVER want to take an Airstream Motorhome
Molas Lake Campground, Co
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	campmolasjeep1.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	221672  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
We boondocked for a month up the original Alkan through British Columbia, Yukon Territory , and Alaska back in 1970 , before there was a Cassier Highway . Great adventure with the road being mostly as the US Army left it , and Dirt, Rocks and mud the whole way . A lot of the old Army buildings and runways were still there and made great campsites for the night.
Your 1970 trumps my Late 70's/early 80's. I am beat.....sigh, lol.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I guess for us it was a drive over BIA 13 from Shiprock, NM down to Chinle, AZ. It was a beautiful ride, but I would not recommend it for RVs. The pass is just way too steep and long.

Below's a map link for the rough location; below it are a couple of shots from the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6383...08.9412546,12z

Shiprock, Mitten, the Thumb by lynneubank, on Flickr

Lynn
Old 09-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I guess for us it was a drive over BIA 13 from Shiprock, NM down to Chinle, AZ. It was a beautiful ride, but I would not recommend it for RVs. The pass is just way too steep and long.

Below's a map link for the rough location; below it are a couple of shots from the area.
That's beautiful.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I've got Fl gator plates on my truck. Camped in Ohio shortly after Fl beat Ohio state in football for the national championship several years ago. Never felt so isolated or remote in my life! Does that count? Jim
Old 09-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
That is as remote as I would EVER want to take an Airstream Motorhome
Molas Lake Campground, Co

Aw heck , go ahead and take it over the Black Bear into Telluride , like our GPS wanted us to take our AS last May