Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I imagine it's more open and accessible out west. I'm going to New England...the rural areas away from the cities. I just need to know where I can overnight without trespassing on private property. Parking lots, truck stops, rest stops. What are the rules I need to know so I don't have to drive the highway at night cuz I can't find a spot.

I tried reading that blog, and it sounds great but doesn't help me.

Lynn and Chuck in Dewdrop the Airstream
Mountains of NC

Old 05-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Walmarts, church parking lots, Cracker Barrels, truck stops... The list is long of places to stop and catch a few ZZZs. That is what I think you are looking for. Boondocking is camping for a couple of nights in a place with no services and MAYBE (ideally) no fees. In the North East things are so developed that the no fees part may be difficult to find.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
That's what I need for now but we are getting a generator and plan real boondocking out west next year.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I am just getting into wild camping or also called boondocking. I am learning a lot from the "gone with the wynns" website. Federal lands water management lands, etc are all possibilities for a stay. On the road one nighters seem also to be an option too at various locations.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I would love to hear more suggestions for fast overnighters. We do WM but I see other rvs in all sorts of parking locations. I consult Allstays but their comments are not up to date since they want to charge people to comment.

After a 5 week random trip around New England I figure everywhere else should be easier!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #76
Young Geezer

Currently Looking...
Pocahontas , Iowa
To me boondocking is making do with what you "brung" and liking it. My old trailer has a porta-potty, 10 gal water tank, 3 burner range/oven combo, 40 lb ice box, a 12V dome light powered by a lantern battery, a propane light and THAT'S ALL; and that's all we think we really need. Therefore, it's perfect for boondocking. Most important of all, boondocking is a way of thinking that challenges one to get back to basics. When it gets too Spartan for us, we just pack up & go back home all the while knowing we had fun. Another very nice thing about boondocking is that it's usually pretty cheap - sometimes zero charge for a spot.

KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid - Stupid is Me.
'60 Nomad 15' canned ham
'11 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 3.8L V6 & 6-speed
Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I'm surprised how many people get "boondocking" and "dry-camping" confused.

They are not synonyms.

If you are at a RV park with no hookups, you are are not boondocking. You are dry camping.

If you are at a highway rest area, you are are not boondocking. You are dry camping.

If you are out on BLM land with the next neighbor a mile away, you are boondocking. A sub-set of dry camping.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
If you are at a RV park with no hookups, you are are not boondocking. You are dry camping.

If you are at a highway rest area, you are are not boondocking. You are dry camping.

If you are out on BLM land with the next neighbor a mile away, you are boondocking. A sub-set of dry camping.
Hmm, I call it all boon docking if in a place not designated for camping normally- parking lot, field, open area, etc.- just out somewhere. I think of dry camping as being in a designated campsite without hookups. That said, I do understand the definition of "out there" away from it all, etc.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
boondocks
[boon-doks]
Spell Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
noun, ( used with a plural verb)
an uninhabited area with thick natural vegetation, as a backwoods or marsh (usually preceded by the).
a remote rural area (usually preceded by the):
The company moved to a small town out in the boondocks.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Hmm, I call it all boon docking if in a place not designated for camping normally- parking lot, field, open area, etc.- just out somewhere. I think of dry camping as being in a designated campsite without hookups. That said, I do understand the definition of "out there" away from it all, etc.
This is my definition(s) as well.

Example, a few weeks ago I was at Huron-Manistee at Lake Michigan. This is a Forest Service campground with paved pads. No electric, water nor dump station. This is dry camping, not boondocking.

BLM land where you are camped at a non-designated dispersed location...that is boondocking. In my book anyway.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #81
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Valdosta , Georgia
New River Gorge National Park

My wife and I stayed at the Army Camp at the new river gorge national park. The entire time we were waiting for someone to come over to us and ask us to pay, but nothing. The rangers were very nice, and campground was empty, we were the only ones there most of the time. We would have overnighters show up and leave the next morning. But overall, 90%+ of the time we were alone out there about 100 feet from the river.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAbe View Post
My wife and I stayed at the Army Camp at the new river gorge national park. The entire time we were waiting for someone to come over to us and ask us to pay, but nothing. The rangers were very nice, and campground was empty, we were the only ones there most of the time. We would have overnighters show up and leave the next morning. But overall, 90%+ of the time we were alone out there about 100 feet from the river.
Sounds like a great place to camp.
What is the signicance of the "Army Camp"?

Thanks, dan
Old 08-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Sounds like a great place to camp.
What is the signicance of the "Army Camp"?

Thanks, dan
Army Camp - New River Gorge National River (U.S. National Park Service)