Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking

Old 11-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
What? I stink? No Grey or Black water problem.

Scent is Mother Nature's perfume.

I used the prefix West on purpose. That is because my wife and I camp and others knowing where I camp might be areas to avoid at all costs.

So many Threads concern Black and Grey Water problems. Problems of filling their black and grey tanks in their trailer in three days, not knowing what to do next.

Maybe, go on a tent camping trip for ten days. Off the Grid would be the best education, but lets say you would like a milder, nicer option a camp site with a water pump and privy for the entire eight camp sites.

What did you learn from either the OtG experience, or the basic campsite in the forest option? I bet you learned a lot.

-Zero Grey and Black water.
-Showers were a luxury for those who want to be... stunning while camped.
-Cooking on the picnic table, tail gate of your vehicle... or cold sandwiches.
-Dishes washed in a plastic "oil change pan" from Walmart.
-Warm water from your propane stove for washing yourself. Soap optional.
-Clothes that still retain their original colors are considered... clean.
-Ice melts in ice chest. You can drink it or use it for optional uses, like above.
-Deodorant is optional. Makeup is optional.
-Plastic cup of water, toothpaste, toothbrush ten feet from tent, minimum.
-Use the restroom, if provided... or take a hike with a shovel. Downwind.

Did you survive? Did your clothes stink before or after you arrived home? Did you really care? After the first couple days... yes. After a week, come on. After ten days... you are looking rather wild and woolly. You have learned more than most in only ten days.

FEW backpackers and tent campers look in the mirror... or even have a mirror other than on their 4x4 truck. Your hair is the first indication that you might not be allowed into a local restaurant. If you and your wife have beards, maybe eat at the camp site. Anyone experienced in roughing it knows that just washing your face and hair is treating yourself like a King and Queen. Jumping into a 50 degree creek for a good cleansing... maybe optional after the headache and shivering afterwards.

You do not need to shower every day, every other day or even consider it at all. We go in clean... and leave clean. That is ONE shower using about 3 gallons between the two of us when going back to civilization. The scent that mother nature gave us is our natural defense from... whatever it was meant for. It will repel water, at least.

You do not need to look normal, smell normal or dress normal Off the Grid. Your hair is a mess... wear a nice hat.

A change of clothes usually is a good time to use your 3 gallons in a trailer... and take this grey water and toss it into some brush. Nobody south of the Canadian border has been attacked by a bear when holding a flashlight to find the camp restroom during the day or night. Never. Or, not reported. If I had to chose between fresh water to drink and having a refreshing shower... well, you guess.

I bring canned and bottled beverages to drink, for emergencies like water shortages.

In the Midwest... you wake up, shower. You step outside... you wasted your time. See? You wasted a lot of water as you are already a mess. Humidity is your enemy. Not taking showers regularly. Go West Young Humans. It is dry. Everyone camping... stinks. Everyone wears a hat, a cap or must be bald.

On this Forum... maybe we and our two Blue Heelers use this procedure. But you get no sympathy from me if you run out of fresh water and your toilet and sinks are backed up into the trailer.

Guys understand. Or most.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
This post grabbed me, "I Stink" , then I seen a short story & did not read. Guys, keep it short, most don't want a big read.

Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heard near the end of a 10 day hiking trip without showers at Philmont Scout Ranch, "is that funny smell US?"

Our boys know that story well--they lived it😄😄😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Love this! So true.
orange kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Ray, really like your LONG stories. Great info and so true! Those withADD do not have to read them, they are the ones missing out. Keep it up. Good boondocking.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Thank you Ray

I really enjoy your writings, and look forward to them. They are insightful, well written pieces on interesting topics.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Especially as a newbie, I love your posts. Keep writing in your inimitable way, Ray!
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #8

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Stink.....

.....boi we must.

AS'n 27yrs'..
nary a shower.
navy bucket baths

Consenting partner required, CG lake & wet puppy helpful.

Bob, Sandra & 'Fado'
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I am out of the norm . Being female and enjoying camping on a bicycle or Harley I've done both. Many times. A couple of 5ooo mile camping trips west on the Harley, alone and unafraid of a bad hair day or 10.
My Caravel will be ready for camping summer 2016 , I'm pretty sure I will have more than enough room and water for a very lengthy stay in the great outdoors. And bonus, I won't have to crawl on the ground to get into it .
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I see no real problem

Somewhere in the past I was taught about "spit baths"....probably in the Military. Showers are not necessary to stay clean and "odorless." A washrag and a gallon of water is more than enough. An inexpensive blue boy solves grey water problems if you can't use a hose drain. Pee in the woods if your really camping helps reduce the black water build up.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master
I like to hike

Some Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers, tisk at the weekend hikers who smell like shampoo and deodorant. The perfume is overwhelming to them, and they say, " Why bother? It's futile "

It could be that people get immune to their own smell, and don't realize what other people smell. You don't want to stink at a pot luck dinner. Heck, it could be that my stink, alerted a bear, that a pain in the neck hiker was in the area.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Another great post Ray. Keep them coming!

Being an avid back packer, rock hound, hunter, fisherman, canoeing, tent camper. We get it.
The wife and I built our trailer for booney camping, and that is what we do.
It's the best base camp ever!

It is easy to clean up, and brush my teeth with as little as a glass of water, outside. No fresh, black or gray water problem here.

What odor, that must be you!

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Glad to know it's not just me
We decided that the tiny corner shower originally in our 55 was futile (and didn't want to deal with water problems) so we are leaving it out in our reno. We have been taking "bucket baths " for years at remote campsites if we get too ripe and I will be engineering an outdoor shower for more complete cleaning and dog washing. Not really glamping but it fits our style
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
This post grabbed me, "I Stink" , then I seen a short story & did not read. Guys, keep it short, most don't want a big read.
Find my Thread on Winter Full Timing... where I used ONE WORD.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote