Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We needed those washing instructions, Gearheart.

As for me.....I will have what I need to remain reasonably clean.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #22
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
This post grabbed me, "I Stink" , then I seen a short story & did not read. Guys, keep it short, most don't want a big read.
But see, it wasn't meant for most... just for those who can relate. Thanks for the story, Ray.
😀😀😀
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Find my Thread on Winter Full Timing... where I used ONE WORD.

"Don't."

Keep 'em coming, Ray, your writing is great! For those very few (maybe one), who doesn't like it, there are several hundred who do enjoy.....

For whatever it's worth,

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Writing is like digging a hole.

You can dig half a hole, or just go for a whole hole. It is the getting out of it, once the hole is dug, that can be most difficult.

As I have quoted in the past from Mark Twain, with modern touches.

"A gold mine is a hole in the ground with a liar on top." It can apply to about anything, but sharing ideas are the most valuable asset any of us possess.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Ray, as usual, I always enjoy your writing. I have not met you and your lady...but, have a feeling...you must be "tell it like it is sorts". I tend to like REAL people much easier than pretenders. Thanks for your postings. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #26
Richard

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Midland , Texas
Very well written piece and my wife an I both laughed over it. Thanks Ray. But after spending a year in Vietnam as a Marine rifleman and only having about 3 showers during that time, I well remember the stink and love the fact that my AS allows a shower and clean underwear every single night. God bless our Airstreams and the convinces they afford us! But I would be pleased to share a drink with you anytime, stink or no. After all, I'll be taking a shower afterwards! ��
Kilo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Hi Kilo3. I also spent a year in Vietnam in the Marines, G 2/9, 65-66. When we would leave on a 30 day patrol, we would notice ourselves getting dirtier each day for the first 3-4 days, and after that everything just seemed normal until we returned to base. As we walked back through the wire, we would pass other Marines and suddenly would feel very dirty once again. Then we would shower and feel clean again. We weren't really all that clean, even then, but by comparison it felt like we were. Then after the showers, we were usually given two beers from a garbage can filled with ice and beers, usually San Miguel. Having two cold beers in a row after having none for thirty days or so really threw me for a loop, but it was the best I remember feeling in Vietnam.

Recently, my outdoor time has mainly been spent on 2-3 week backpacking trips. My wife goes out longer, as much as a month at a time. Usually we backpack from lake to lake, and she will bathe almost every day in whatever lake at which we end up, cloudy or sunny, unless it's actually raining. I'll bathe if it's sunny and the air seems dry enough that I'll dry off fast. Lupe bathes 3-4 times a day, rain or shine, and never complains about our smell. None of us use soap, but we feel clean after plunging into the ice cold lakes. Sometimes on a longer backpack, we'll rinse out our socks and underwear if it seems sunny enough that they will dry before night comes. Well, some of us will; Lupe has never bothered with that.

I haven't yet had that much experience boondocking in the Airstream, but compared with jumping into a cold lake, taking a sponge bath with warm water in my own shower seems like a luxury. Lupe is just the opposite. As much as she loves jumping into cold lakes, she hates getting showers of any kind, hot or cold, so the less water available in the airstream for showers, the better she likes it.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I want others to open themselves up to how you think and how you manage to leave your habits of home from getting in the way of camping out... not at a RV Park... but in those places that only YOU find yourself. How do you manage? Most that talk as if they are Off the Grid campers... do not truly know. Much like the Sheepherder Wagon. It may stink... but you have what it takes.

Some of us sweat, and/or just like to feel reasonably odor free.

I took this type of thing on the New Mexico trip last year.....they work great, leave you feeling clean, use no water and can then be burned in a fire.

Walmart, Walgreens, most drug stores sell them, and they are just a few dollars per package.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	252916  
Old 11-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Animals sweat, men perspire, women glow. After a couple days? We all stink! Good camping.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:29 AM   #30
Richard

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Midland , Texas
Thanks McDave for the prospective. I've had this negative feeling about camping...that is real camping, like getting stinky and bathrooms behind the bushes, ever since Vietnam (Kilo, 3/9, 67'-68'). Maybe those washcloths like Lili&Me suggested would work. If you are backpacking for 2-3 weeks at a time, I am inspired! Keep it up, and thanks for the motivation! Simper fi...
Kilo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Spit Bath / Sponge Bath - At Alumalina several of us were talking enthusiastically about "Smart Wool" socks which are ungodly expensive but keep your feet warm without being sweaty, last forever and actually have arch support built in. One person lamented "but don't ever run them through the washer and dryer or they'll shrink to half their former size." Another who'd never tried them said, "Well then how DO you wash them?" I, ever the clown, said "When you take a shower put them over your hands and grab the bar of soap" then mimed the critical areas which needed to be washed. Before I even got to the part where I suggested a handy place to HANG the socks to dry - or why I want a boyfriend - they were rolling out of the camp chairs.

We campers are an amusing lot with easily amused friends. The original post of this thread reminds me that the only camping scene I've seen that is more real (reel) is that of the campfire in Blazing Saddles. Beans anyone?

Paula
Old 11-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Paula... the difference between myself and the Blazing Saddles quartet. They could carry a tune, while I cannot if my life depended upon it.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
For those who like to troll when it is cold outside and the wind is howling. I like to find Threads by new Airstream owners who have a steep learning curve ahead of themselves. I am at the point with my learning curve peaking and slipping into incoherent debates with my good side 1/3rd of my brain against the big stinker 2/3rds that remains and not budging.

How can I reduce the Black and Grey water usage in my new Airstream?

uhhhh... use less water?

How can I reduce propane use when heating my trailer while Winter camping and keep our hot water... hot?

uhhhh... stay home, don't shower so often or use the RV Parks indoor Stool and Pool (showers) facility.

There is no "Vanity" section on the Forum. Much like a UFO section is also not offered, but of more interest to some.

I just wonder, seriously, what our education and university system is cranking out these days. I passed with a D, Calculus. On the final exam if I could have spelled C.A.L.C.L.U.S it would have been a C-... but even today "U's are hard to come by. So a Brain Surgeon candidate, I am not.

What kind of Silver Paint is best for painting my Airstream? uhhh. Why?
Toilet paper keeps getting clogged up in my Black Tank draining. uhhhh. Maybe valid?
My Air Conditioner does not work on 12 volts. ... yep. Neither do brain waves.
My trailer has only 39 gallons of water. .... but your bladder is less than 14 ounces, so...?

I know. I know... I should be more understanding. I have been a wreck since 46 chromosomes were combined. But a usable wreck of sorts. Often, I want to skip the months of January to early March and be normal, like these people. But then... I am paying taxes for 12 months a year and not 9 and want my money's worth. So bear with me and ignore my opinions and remain as you are at this moment. Undecided if you are also carrying all 46 chromosomes yourself.

Looking for the keys to your trailer. Yep... we do have something in common come Spring!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
I love this thread, Ray, your posts are so much fun!

By the way, have you been to Vedauwoo yet? There's some really great dispersed camp areas off one of the forest roads that would make for great OtG camping on your upcoming WY trip.

I'm currently a tent camper and avid backpacker (of the ultralight long distance hiking variety) so I know of where you speak come not worrying about how one looks. (I braid my hair and call it a day)

By the way, the "whore's bath" (not sure I can say that on here) is how the bucket and washcloth bath is more colourfully described.
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Green fire, no, you can't say that here...but, you have so....please send $50.00 to me and I will place it in the appropriate 'swear jar'! In future, please use a nicer term like...'nether regions' or 'private places'....which require less money to the swear jar.
The harshest language, such as your term....are strictly reserved for television!

Oh, my....I just remembered....there is no fund raising on the forum....so, I suppose you must keep your $$. You will need to use your own swear jar, of course. (LOL)!
Old 02-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #36
Rivet Master

I hope I didn't offend...I was, of course, joking....(in my off base, corny way)! LOL.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Made me giggle at the scenario....it was funny.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

I agree. Paula has a good sense of humor. I had to laugh out loud, when I read her 'describe the activity' involved in cleaning her sox and .....!etc! I could visualize how funny she was! Paula is one I would love to meet one day....a few glasses of wine , and wallah! ....an evening's entertainment! E.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
I hope I didn't offend...I was, of course, joking....(in my off base, corny way)! LOL.
No not at all, was just busy trying to find enough jars for all my swears dammit!
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfire View Post
No not at all, was just busy trying to find enough jars for all my swears dammit!
Do you want some of mine? I have a big pickle jar if you want it!