Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Highlands Ranch , Colorado
I boondock about 90% of the time, usually many miles off a main road. There is safety in numbers. I enjoy getting out in the backcountry with friends/relatives. But we'll camp solo if nobody is available.

If I'm boondocking and there is someone nearby I'll introduce myself as a way of gauging who I'm camping near and letting them know who their neighbor is. By nearby I mean 1/4 mile away. I would never pull up next to someone else in a boondocking situation. That's just rude.

I do carry a pistol in a concealed holster and there is a pistol in the trailer that is easy to get to as long as you know where to find it. I also carry bear spray. If you aren't prepared and willing to shed your ideology then you're just a sheep to the prey.

In CO, WY, MT and UT I'm more concerned with meeting a critter than I am with meeting a bad guy. I've encountered bears, mountain lions, moose and coyotes. Those are just the ones that are likely to attack a human. I've yet to encounter a wolf. My brother-in-law works for the wildlife department in a nearby state and has sent me documents from their encounters that detail how aggressive wolves are.

We did have an incident in Wyoming where our neighbors at a dispersed camping location by a lake were quite rude. Their kids had no respect for our campsite (there were six trailers in our group) and the adults partied loudly well into the wee hours. We chose to leave and crossed that location off our list.

When I'm "out there" I feel safe, but never safe enough to let my guard down. I like to think I have good situational awareness, but I know I'm not 100% on that like someone with formal training would be.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Oak Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by earljones458 View Post
Although I carry a firearm mostly for human predators, one of the other best self protection items is a can of wasp and hornet spray. It's easy to use, has very good range (25-30 ft) and will stop anyone if you spray them on the face. It's also legal, even in Canada, and readily available. It's also great to keep near your doors at home.

If you spray someone in the face with Insect Spray (which can and has caused permanent blindness) you can face the same criminal charges as shooting someone. Please do not attempt to argue this point, just do your research... (Note - An action with the possibility of "Loss of life or cause great bodily harm" equals a possible felony charge. BE SURE you have adequate cause!)
Old 11-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #83
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Oak Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cray View Post
I have a gun in case of bears

And I have a "gun case" made from bear skin...
Old 11-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
I’m with you, Maggie. I think general safety threads are helpful, but I think a thread based on a sensational incident serves mostly to prompt overreaction, undue fear. It was a remarkable incident in its rarity.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
A wise man once said "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."
Old 11-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coyote , New Mexico
Social Engineering - Intimidation and personal confrontations - tools of thugs and politicians! If you can be persuaded by any of the afore-mentioned and you do not carry you will be a victim sooner or later. First rule - never make yourself a target! Next - talk but keep it generic never divulge anything! It is always great when one can talk their way out of a problem but on those occasions when talking doesn't work what are you going to do? Flight or fight are the only two options left when talking doesn't work. I would suggest that when going into a questionable location you have an exit plan! If being confronted never ever let anyone get to within arm's length, know what is behind you and walk backwards until safely out of reach - never turn your back on anyone even children. Yes, children have been used as a distraction! There are a lot of self defense - self help guides on "YouTube" and "Google." Reviewing a few every time prior to driving off provides a mindset that can keep you safer. Also, do a quick scan of media covering your itinerary just to know what lies ahead. Don't forget the weather, it can be your worst enemy!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
I find this whole discussion about Boondocking and carrying Guns to be safe in America very sad - I am glad I live in Canada. While Toronto seems to becoming a bit scary (for me as a Canadian) with around 35 murders by guns each year (I wonder where these guns come from?).

Also like most of you have written, I too use common sense and listen to that wee small voice inside me is saying when it come to being smart where I camp. If I have to be armed with a gun each place I go camping to feel safe in the US, because of my Canadian cultural background perhaps I just wouldn't go there. So thank you for inferring through this discussion that perhaps I should change my future Travel Plans.
I don’t feel I HAVE to be armed. I just think it’s the smart thing to do FOR THE RIGHT PEOPLE. Nobody has anything to fear from a gun owner who is law abiding, competent (trained), and responsible. The thing about US is some of us still believe in individual rights, and taking responsibility for your own decisions.

BTW did the 35 gun murders in Toronto not have a thug pulling the trigger?
Do you know that knife murders in London have skyrocketed since they got rid of guns?

You can take a superior attitude all you want but IMHO it’s based on ignorance.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
I find this whole discussion about Boondocking and carrying Guns to be safe in America very sad - I am glad I live in Canada. While Toronto seems to becoming a bit scary (for me as a Canadian) with around 35 murders by guns each year (I wonder where these guns come from?).

Also like most of you have written, I too use common sense and listen to that wee small voice inside me is saying when it come to being smart where I camp. If I have to be armed with a gun each place I go camping to feel safe in the US, because of my Canadian cultural background perhaps I just wouldn't go there. So thank you for inferring through this discussion that perhaps I should change my future Travel Plans.
I live close to Toronto and have always felt safe there. Toronto murders make the news in our area, but there are a dozen Canadian cities with higher rates of violent crime. Most of the illegal guns in Toronto came in illegally from the USA, others were stolen from legal gun owners in Canada. I agree with your comment in the second paragraph. I've never travelled anywhere that made me wish I had a gun, but if I thought I did need one I just wouldn't go there. If someone doesn't feel safe travelling in America there's a big world of safer places out there to explore!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 11-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I don’t feel I HAVE to be armed. I just think it’s the smart thing to do FOR THE RIGHT PEOPLE. Nobody has anything to fear from a gun owner who is law abiding, competent (trained), and responsible. The thing about US is some of us still believe in individual rights, and taking responsibility for your own decisions.

BTW did the 35 gun murders in Toronto not have a thug pulling the trigger?
Do you know that knife murders in London have skyrocketed since they got rid of guns?

You can take a superior attitude all you want but IMHO it’s based on ignorance.
Just because fewer Canadians carry guns doesn't mean that we don't take responsibility for our own decisions, it's just that we understand that there is a connection between the number of guns and the murder rate and most of us would rather not live in a place where guns are prevalent.

As for knives being just as dangerous, which implies that the number of guns is not the problem:
UK murder rate: 1.2 per 100,000
Canada murder rate: 1.8 per 100,000
USA murder rate: 5.3 per 100,000
Even though I am 3 times as likely to be murdered in the US than in Canada I still feel comfortable traveling there because I understand that a 5 in 100000 chance of being murdered is still very small. Then you can further reduce it by understanding that most murders are committed by someone known to the victim, and many others are people who are involved in criminal activity.

An understanding of data management and statistics is more conducive to my comfort level than carrying a gun!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
Old 11-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I’ll take my chances and benefit from a robust economy, thankyouverymuch.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 11-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I’ll take my chances and benefit from a robust economy, thankyouverymuch.

Ha....have to agree!
Old 11-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #92
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Guns are not deserving of this irrational fear response.

More people are killed by blunt instruments and household tools/implements.

This is fact compiled by State, Local, and Federal crime statistics compiled over time.

Guns are merely another tool, in this case one designed to inflict harm for sustenance or survival whether defensive or otherwise. Regardless of the circumstances, guns don’t tend kill or injure someone without a person involved. There lies the proper target for your concern, fear, or paranoia.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 11-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #93
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Because of human ingenuity, you have the option to fight for your life, or someone else’s with a weapon.

Personally I think it to be infinitely more desirable than using harsh language or condescending attitudes to defend life and liberty.

Like it or not, it changes nothing.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 11-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The safest US state in regards to gun deaths (fewest) is Hawaii. Just the issue of getting the airstream over there...

The worst is Alaska, but most of those are suicides. Followed by Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico.

Got this data from the internet. So, to play the safety odds, stick to boondocking in Hawaii.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
While you may have a greater chance of being murdered on a city sidewalk, that fact does nothing to guarantee your safety anywhere, even boondocking. You might carry a firearm for decades and never need it..... but the moment you do, you will be glad you had it on you.

Robberies and murder's are rapidly evolving events and I have yet to see anyone call "time-out" to run home and grab a weapon!
Old 11-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #96
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The sad fact about gun ownership, is that very, very few are taught to hold fire, until they are 100% sure that what they are pointing their gun at, is a threat.

To hold fire while your body is full of adrenaline is a feat that is very hard to master; especially if you own a gun because you are fearful.

That's why we were taught not to shoot until we were bloody sure; even while coming under fire.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #97
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I agree completely. This, is a fundamental tenet taught by most but perhaps not stressed firmly or often enough I think.

I’ve heard it enough in the Army, in State employment, Federal employment, in training classes and in carry classes ... seems self evident to me. I for one sober up quickly whenever I am armed, let alone when I’m handling my firearm. It’s a serious responsibility, necessitated by serious threats..

Old 11-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Pepper Spay is good, a cheap but very strong and good is Hornets Spay that can be found everwhere. It spays about 20 to 25 feet, has to be washed out of eyes with lots of water. Bad guys can't see.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Roxboro , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Pepper Spay is good, a cheap but very strong and good is Hornets Spay that can be found everwhere. It spays about 20 to 25 feet, has to be washed out of eyes with lots of water. Bad guys can't see.

+1. Wasp spray kept by the door
Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
I agree completely. This, is a fundamental tenet taught by most but perhaps not stressed firmly or often enough I think.

I’ve heard it enough in the Army, in State employment, Federal employment, in training classes and in carry classes ... seems self evident to me. I for one sober up quickly whenever I am armed, let alone when I’m handling my firearm. It’s a serious responsibility, necessitated by serious threats..
Vast majority of owners are responsible. Media makes a few cases sound like everyday occurrences. It’s hype.
Closed Thread