Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Water Usage

We pick up our AS on 6/5/15 and are planning our first trip. We are thinking of staying in a state park that has electric but no water hookup. How much water is typically used by two people per day being conservative? We have a 39 gallon fresh water tank and wonder how long we can plan to stay.

I know it is asking a lot, but I would think the guess of someone with some experience is better than a guess with someone (me) with no experience!

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
We have an 87 gallon FW tank. If the wife is along, that will last three days.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
How big are your holding tanks? We have 45 gals of fresh water, and after 3 or 4 days, I'm adding 6 or 12 gals to the tank. We have enough black and gray water capacity to handle the extra fresh water, so we can go 4 or 5 days before we need to dump. We carry a 6 gal green water jug and I use that to haul water to the trailer from the closest faucet.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
This is a tough question. How long will this $100 last? For some, a long time while for others, not long at all. This is the way with water.

Chris brought up a great point. I have two 6 gallon tanks that I bring along. One sits on the picnic table for coffee water and other such things. The second one is used to refill the Airstream tank from faucets near by.

If you don't do dishes, if you primarily use the campground facilities and if you minimize showers, 39 gallons should last you a few days. Remember, the more you turn on the tap the faster you will use up the water AND the faster your gray tank will fill. Getting water is one thing, dumping a gray tank is another.

You will figure out all of this soon enough. These first trips will be learning experiences and that is all part of the fun.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The two of use about 15 gallons a day...2 showers, toilet and dishes once a day.

If we stay put more than 4 days, I use a blue boy to dump and one of these to get water. I have an old 12V pump to fill the AS tank.

Y2K

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Burlington , Kentucky
We have a 45 gal Fresh, 24 gal Gray and 18 Black. (Nice balance in vs out....hahah) and actually thats about the actual split for grey vs black.
We frequently camp at Smokey Mts. Natl. park (Elkmont). We can get 4 days and Fresh empty and Gray/Black full. The dump station is 7 miles away... so...we are a lil conservative.
The 45 gallons gets us
2 showers - water on to get wet. off to soap up. on to rinse off. Quick enough that the 6 gallon hot water doesn't go cold.

Food prep - lunch and dinner, couple gallons for iced tea.

Dishes at the end of the day (utensils and pans) paper everything else...

Toilet usage - night time...only use during the day if its an urgent need.

As folks stated...you get a much better idea of your personal uses after a couple of trips...Also we carry a couple of 5 or 6 gallon containers ($6 or 8 bucks at Walmart...incase I wanted to haul water or use in addition to what I have brought in. Also have a small Blueboy for Black Tank.
Check the park for dump station location... if its close Id get a couple of fresh water containers and may buy that Blueboy and stay long as you want...

Best of luck on your trip and hope the weather is GREAT...
Debnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Just go and see how long it lasts. If it's a state park they probably have a dump station and water fill. Worst case is you have to go dump and fill once during the stay.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
Water use

We use about 7 gal per day navy showers and so on. Carry a couple of 5 to 7 gal jugs in back of truck carry full if no water is nearby carry empty if the campground has faucet nearby. Good camping Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
My FC 19 has a 23 gallon tank; that lasted 2 guys 5-days with daily showers, a few dishes and of course washroom breaks. We were more concerned with power consumption and almost ran out of water - monitor everything carefully (actually our tank ran dry on the fifth day after we showered while I was washing some dishes).

On another trip with my wife this time, we ran out of water and the tanks needed to be emptied mid-day on Sunday (we arrived Friday afternoon!) Govern yourself accordingly.
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
The greater problem we have found (same size tanks) is the grey water fills rather quickly and having to empty it is a pain in the bum. State Parks are not going to want you to empty your tank onto the grass. So that is something to consider too.
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
When I've stayed in public campgrounds, they usually have had fresh water at a central location (located near the dump station). Can you check to see if that's the case?
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #12
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
When I've stayed in public campgrounds, they usually have had fresh water at a central location (located near the dump station). Can you check to see if that's the case?
There is water available several campsites away. So assuming one could fill a portable container, is a funnel needed to pour the water into the AS tank? I guess I'll find that out when I pick up our AS tomorrow but just curious.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnw View Post
We have a 45 gal Fresh, 24 gal Gray and 18 Black. (Nice balance in vs out....hahah) and actually thats about the actual split for grey vs black.

Also have a small Blueboy for Black Tank.
We have a 39 gallon black water tank and 37 gallon grey water tank.

What size blue boy do you suggest we get? Also, any name brands you recommend?

Also, if the black or grey tank is full, how do you stop the emptying before you over flow the blue boy? Maybe that easy, but I'm not so sure.
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Our 26 gallon fresh water lasts us 3 days. We always bring an additional 6 gallons but don't always need it. We shower e'day, too. You'll learn quickly what your useage is and how to predict what you'll need. If the trailer has no water in it, fill the fw tank and then turn the pump on-it will then pump water into your hot water heater. That's 6 gallons down, so now you can top it off again.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
My wife and I figure about 7 gallons minimum per day with two very quick showers and paper plates.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
My wife and I prefer to camp away from established campsites. With our 39 gallon tank, we can stay out 3-4 days if all the water we use is to cook with, sort of wash dishes, and keep minimally clean ourselves without taking a full blown shower. There is usually enough water left for each of us to take quick showers on the day we leave.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
This is a tough question. How long will this $100 last? For some, a long time while for others, not long at all. This is the way with water.

Chris brought up a great point. I have two 6 gallon tanks that I bring along. One sits on the picnic table for coffee water and other such things. The second one is used to refill the Airstream tank from faucets near by.

If you don't do dishes, if you primarily use the campground facilities and if you minimize showers, 39 gallons should last you a few days. Remember, the more you turn on the tap the faster you will use up the water AND the faster your gray tank will fill. Getting water is one thing, dumping a gray tank is another.

You will figure out all of this soon enough. These first trips will be learning experiences and that is all part of the fun.
I agree with aftermath. My wife and I can use our 54 gallons in 2 days or make it last a week. If we will be dry camping in one location for awhile, and I know there is access to water, I have a 16 gallon water tank and 12v transfer pump i can use to refill. I also have a 15 gallon blueboy to dump the grey water. My black water tank is 36 gallons so that is generally not a problem, at least for awhile.

A couple ideas to help manage dishwater are to run the cold water before it gets hot into a tub and use that to rinse the dishes. If you do your dishes in a another tub, you can dump that water out on the ground (if allowable) to avoid adding to the grey water tank. We keep a pair of plastic nesting tubs that fit perfectly inside our trailer's double sink for situations like this.

Have fun learning by doing!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yep, like dznf0g, when I take one family member it is about 15 gallons/day but that is also taking semi-navy showers, toilet visits, etc. We are not too conservative but aware of use.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:16 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Rather than drag the plastic tote through the cg to dump gray water, I have a macerator pump (12v) and pump it into the tote while it sits in the back of the truck. Then, you just drive to the dump station. This is particularly useful at places like Edisto Beach SP, where you have to drive out on the main road to reach the dump station.
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That's a great idea! Trying to manhandle a large blueboy is not fun. Only get one that is light enough to handle. Thirty pounds plus of water is too heavy for most of us to handle and a tip over is not good. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote