Old 03-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Palos Verdes Estates , California
water refilling when dry camping

We will be dry camping this summer and would like to stay for longer than 3 days. Our water tank empties the quickest. Does anyone have any ideas about how to refill the water tank using jugs or multi-gallon containers (we would go buy water)? I was imagining that if we could somehow get a short hose that would screw onto the jug and also screw into the fresh water tank. Thoughts? Experience? Thanks!

debbietaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I carry collapsible, 2 1/2 gallon jugs for extra fresh water, which can then be used for drinking, coffee, etc.

Easier than trying to refill the fresh water tank.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...IECs4Q8wIIRDAD

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4354.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	280809  

Old 03-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I carry collapsible, 2 1/2 gallon jugs for extra fresh water, which can then be used for drinking, coffee, etc.

Easier than trying to refill the fresh water tank.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...IECs4Q8wIIRDAD

Maggie
I use the same 5 gallon water carrier (x2), but I do empty them into the fresh water tank. To make it easier I have a short piece of clear tubing that fits over the spout and can fit into the filler neck of the tank. Some people have rigged up a 12 volt pump to transfer the water, but I don't find that necessary.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We use a five gallon jerry can

Bought on amazon

We chose the specter brand as other brands had reviews saying they leaked. This has worked very well for us. The spout is flexible for pouring into the fresh tank. Also it has a secondary tube on it to equalize the air so it pours quicker

Be mindful that when full it weighs about 40 pounds. But you can fill it less full if that is too much weight for you to manage.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have a large funnel with a flexible tube on the end. We have added water to our fresh water tank using bottles of water from the grocery store.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #6
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Deerfield , Massachusetts
There are amazingly subtle design choices that go into your choice of water carrier:

-- collapsible things (shown above) store small but generally wear out quick and tend to leak. Also, they are difficult to manage during emptying--the spout needs to be opened while you wrangle a flexible object, the spout is small, and the carrier itself can be tough to hold and tilt. These tend to be cheap, but they fail at a high enough rate that you should plan on occasional replacement.

-- rigid jerry-can type things work well since they are stable to fill when sitting on the ground, and since they are rigid they are easy to pickup, tilt, etc. without spilling. Since they aren't collapsible, they take up room in the tow vehicle. These are generally rugged enough to outlast the owner though, so even if they pricier up front, they might be cheaper in the long run.

When faced with dichotomies like these, I sometimes try to split the difference and see where it goes. In this case, that might mean collecting some free gallon milk jugs and using those. Small enough to carry and empty without spilling, cheap enough to toss or replace when I need to. And I really like milk, so that helps.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
5-gallon container by Scepter, that we bought off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have 2 that we can bring with us. I put them in the truck to go fill them up, and then pour them into the water tank. As mentioned above, they are heavy when full.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I carry a 14 gallon tank in the TV. It has a 12 volt pump which plugs into the 7 pin receptacle on the TV.. The hose is long enough to reach the fill port.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Rhino 5 Gal containers

We followed advice of a friend we met boon docking in Borrego Springs last year...in his 25' AS, and purchased 4 of the 5 gal containers from Amazon, at $20/each. I have heard/seen similar models at Walmart for less. These work well, fit into the AS fill spout, and you can store on their sides with interlocking design while traveling if you have to lay them down..

gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...S_nxoChqrw_wcB

I put it in the bed of the truck and use an old 12 V water pump to transfer to AS tank.

If I need just enough to get by, I use one of the 5 gallon collapsables above.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I never hook up to water supply or fill even out 2 wks. 1 reason water tamk only used for sanitary purposes all other water usage by bottled 1gal. jugs and very few camp grounds will I fill jugs. I sanitize tank beginning of summer still will only use for san. purpose. In over 65 yrs. camping never been sick or caught any unsanitary malodies this way. Yes my AS has everpure system and replace filter cart. regularly. I have been in countries that drinking water is a no no never had sickness using bottled products. Except sick a few times as Mike calls them Barley pops. As they say in France, water never wine yes yes.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Last year was our first year RV camping and over the winter we have been working on improvements for season #2. We had been lugging a big blue 5 gallon water jug and gently lifting its 30 lbs onto the top of the propane tanks. Used a potable water safe PVC hose to gravity drain it into fresh water tank. Since we almost exclusively stay at state and national parks in Minnesota the water was excellent.

This season we will have no heavy lifting required and will be ready to take on lower quality water supplies as we travel farther. We got a collapsible dolly and collapsible water jug. Now we have a hose feeding into a Shurflow filter strainer to a spare Shurflo Water Pump to suck the water out of the water jug. It gets pumped into a 3 filter system and then goes into the fresh water tank.

The Shurflo pump is also an "in-hand" spare for the Airstream and we will also be using the 3 filter system when we stay at campsites with water service. Once it gets below freezing here in Minnesota we will be able to test this new approach out.

Shurflo 4048153E75 Electric Water Pump:

SHURFLO (255-213) 1/2" Twist-On Pipe Strainer:

Iron Removal System with Bracket Code: Pbstd2:
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pbstd2.htm

Ironton Folding Hand Truck — 150-Lb.*Capacity Item# 42612:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4015_200624015

If you go a long distance for water maybe a larger capacity "jug" would be useful:

AQUATANK2 Water Storage Bladder (30 Gallon)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...sthrougsolu-20

Here is a video:
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have 3, 7 gallon plastic jerry cans that I bought from Walmart. They are heavy when full but they have a short nozzle that allows me to pour the water directly into the tank. Cans are pretty low cost.

Depending upon the camp ground there may be a water spigot that is close enough to stretch your water hose to for filling your tank. I carry 2, 25 foot hoses that will work if that spigot is within 50 feet of the trailer. If I'm not sure, I'll carry the empty Jerry cans to fill and use.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #14
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have a 40 gal. plastic bladder tank that lays on top of the truck cap roof. Fills with pressure from a spigot then empties with gravity in to the fresh water tank. It has a double female hose connection so you can use the water hose in both directions. The only drawback is that you have to drive carefully when the bladder is full or it could roll off the roof. Never had that happen. They fold up nicely into about 12 x12 x 3" box. Camping World use to have them advertised, but I called and they sent me one. Sure is handy if the family uses a lot of water boon docking.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Frederica , Delaware
I have utilized the outside antifreeze port and antifreeze valve and installed a check valve between the two. I use a short hose which I attach to a water bladder or I can drop hose into any vessel. Turn on the in house water pump and it now operates as an external water tank with this setup. Because the outside shower is very close to the fresh water fill port I can remove shower head from shower hose to use same method to actually fill on board fresh water tank, if need be.
Overloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Bois Blanc Island , Michigan
Has anyone used a Water Bandit? Just curious how well they work.

http://www.camco.net/product/water-bandit-10075/
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #17
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Has anyone used a Water Bandit? Just curious how well they work.

http://www.camco.net/product/water-bandit-10075/

Works great if you put a clamp on it. Without the clamp, not so good
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Bois Blanc Island , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Works great if you put a clamp on it. Without the clamp, not so good
Good to know.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I use four 6 gallon plastic jerry cans.

MAKE SURE…you get the cans with a HANDLE ON THE SIDE.

My fill is about 3 feet off the ground, and I use a fold up table to rest the cans on, so I don't have to stand there holding them while they empty.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

For someone who dry camps a lot ...

My friend uses an old RV water pump, and two 25? gallon tanks to refill his tank.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote