Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Wow! $245 for a 5 gal. water container and the filters run $41.00 for a 4 pack? This is some serious "filtration" for a water container! I guess for some folks, you can not be too safe and money is no object? Can you imagine getting 4 of these puppies and use to fill your AS tank? That's almost a down payment on an AS! Think how much bottled water that would buy at Costco!

I told ya I'm a prepper it does 20,000 liters that's 5283 gallons of water. You tube the company and he created lifesaver water line after Katrina and Japan nuclear accident. It's filter can filter out all known virus's bacteria some radiological and fecal matter.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The first and most obvious step is to manage your water use. As city dwellers with unlimited water on tap we have become very wasteful of this resource.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailbob View Post
Scepter military water cans. ...
+1 on these. I bought mine from Lexington Container Company which appears to be about ten bucks cheaper. I didn't check the Amazon Prime price.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:22 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
I told ya I'm a prepper it does 20,000 liters that's 5283 gallons of water. You tube the company and he created lifesaver water line after Katrina and Japan nuclear accident. It's filter can filter out all known virus's bacteria some radiological and fecal matter.
5283 gallons = 1,057 containers (5 gal/container) which would give you enough for 27 fills per filter change, for use in your AS, using 7.8 containers to full, assuming 39 gallons to a full tank ! As a "prepper", does that mean you use this container all the time for your water needs? Just curious.... As I am not a prepper, my wife pointed out, trying to use this device could substantially cut into my retirement budget and my play time; not to mention the lifting to fill the fresh water tank in the AS each time! I certainly would not purchase more than one of these if there was a need.

I am currently not worried about the radiological, fecal, nor virus bacteria with my current sources of water. (Maybe I should be?)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #45
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
This is a expensive product but I love the Lifesaver water filter products. This is there 5 gallon jerrycan. If you do any reading Lifesaver is a top notch product it filters out every known virus with Polio being the smallest known one and it does that. Good for 20,000 liters.

Whats cool is has a hose with sprayer so you can do outdoor washing. Ive filled this thing up with pond water, river water, lake water and it comes out cleaner then any water you can buy.

They also sell a hand held bottle version that does 4000 litters.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFESAVER-Exp...saver+jerrycan

Looks like that filters out viruses too. Most people would say that's overkill for use in North America, but it sure comes in handy if there's some sort of zombie virus or whatnot out there!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
this product works well, used it this weekend dry camping at music festival
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Looks like that filters out viruses too. Most people would say that's overkill for use in North America, but it sure comes in handy if there's some sort of zombie virus or whatnot out there!
Could be but if you notice in Katrina water everywhere yet all contaminated. You can fill that thing with the dirtiest stagnate pond water and have cleaner then bottled water come out the other end.

The only things it can't filter out salt water and oils.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
5283 gallons = 1,057 containers (5 gal/container) which would give you enough for 27 fills per filter change, for use in your AS, using 7.8 containers to full, assuming 39 gallons to a full tank ! As a "prepper", does that mean you use this container all the time for your water needs? Just curious.... As I am not a prepper, my wife pointed out, trying to use this device could substantially cut into my retirement budget and my play time; not to mention the lifting to fill the fresh water tank in the AS each time! I certainly would not purchase more than one of these if there was a need.

I am currently not worried about the radiological, fecal, nor virus bacteria with my current sources of water. (Maybe I should be?)
No I use city water for that and reverse osmosis drinking water. I have this and the 1 liter personal one for when I am out and about. In particular the personal one for when I need it. The 5 gallon one is for emergencies when they strike.