Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Robert
We have the same signs here. They dont want the big trucks on thier lot. Delieverys only. There is a Bob Evans and a Subway and the one Drive In Resturant that they deliver the meal on skates. I also ask and its a CITY Ordinance NO BIG TRUCK PARKING .I did ask about RV's and they said it was ok as long as people ask.

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #114
1 Rivet Member

Williamsburg , Virginia
Wow - this is the first I've heard of this. I guess I'd always figured we could use Wal-Mart in case of "emergency"!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Sounds like a tough argument actually... If campgrounds closed up and campers were forced to stay at Wally World I could then see them turning around and charging for the right to stay... that's their business practice in everything else they do so why not camping? Tough one.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #116
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Sounds like a tough argument actually... If campgrounds closed up and campers were forced to stay at Wally World I could then see them turning around and charging for the right to stay... that's their business practice in everything else they do so why not camping? Tough one.
Nothing tough about this story at all. If I’m traveling through a town on a longer trip and just need a place to rest/sleep for 8 to 10 hours, if the local campgrounds can’t accomodate me for a reduced fee, then they better not try and keep me from staying at a Walmart or local truckstop.

Walmart is accomodating a group of folks who by their nature, shop alot at Walmart. Campgrounds should follow suite - good business, good karma. By trying to force me to use their place of business by trying to shut down alternative resources for RV’ers, that crosses the line.

If they feel they’re “loosing” business to Walmart, then instead of strong-arming the customer and whinning about it, why not try to accomodate campers and adjust their business model. Maybe their reluctance to change and adapt to changing conditions is the reason for the lack of business and loss of revenues?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Ahh yes, unfettered capitalism. We can all hope that one day Wal-Mart can just buy up all the campgrounds and public parks and pave them over too. God forbid there should be any push to keep anyone away from Wal-mart so they can get at all of their quality Chinese merchandise after spending the night under their beautiful mercury halide lights.
You're actually using terms like "Strong Arming" for local campgrounds and those who support them? HA, Wal-Mart strong arms local governments, local shops and their own workforce, it's just disgraceful. I've been through many small southern towns with decaying down towns and boarded up businesses because of your friends at Wal-Mart. And FYI, "Wal-Mart" and "Good Karma" don't belong in the same paragraph.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
I remember when there were just "local" shops. They closed at 5 PM except some were open Wednesday night until 9 PM. They closed at 5 PM on Saturday and were closed Sunday. Walmart changed the game...banks used to close at 3 PM (Bankers Hours), Doctors were closed every Thursday, and hardware stores charged $30 for a claw hammer. They charged $30 because the cost to produce it in America was ridiculously high, so the jobs moved overseas...not Walmart's fault. Should they sell only American products and go bankrupt?

I know, I know, Don't argue with an idiot, he'll pull you down to his level and beat you with experience...
Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
wake-up people; it isn't Wally, George or the Big O, it is you causing alll the problems. As Navy said, why pay $30 for a hammer when you can get from the same thing from Eastern markets fro $15. Same goes for oil, gas, cars etc.Things are produced for less money there thean we can and it all goes back to the american greed. We can't afford the items we produce and that is mostly because of wages. We talk about "sweat shops and the items produced, but look who is purchasing them, we are! The same for cars, if it wasn't for the high import taxes the big 3 still doesn't compete. Also look at the quality of the cars.
Next is health care; who is causing the prices to rise? About half of us are paying for the other half and that proportion is changing. I just had a Dr visit that was $125
medicare allowed $68 and paid 61 cents; who do think is paying that bill?
So don't blame Wally, George or Obama for our problems, look in a mirror.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #120
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
We CHOOSE not too use Walmart, that's a option we all have.

We also choose not to share the reasons...
Sonny Boy Williamson - Keep it to Yourself - YouTube

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #121
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Leslie , Michigan
Quote:
Ahh yes, unfettered capitalism. We can all hope that one day Wal-Mart can just buy up all the campgrounds and public parks and pave them over too. God forbid there should be any push to keep anyone away from Wal-mart so they can get at all of their quality Chinese merchandise after spending the night under their beautiful mercury halide lights.
You're actually using terms like "Strong Arming" for local campgrounds and those who support them? HA, Wal-Mart strong arms local governments, local shops and their own workforce, it's just disgraceful. I've been through many small southern towns with decaying down towns and boarded up businesses because of your friends at Wal-Mart. And FYI, "Wal-Mart" and "Good Karma" don't belong in the same paragraph.
Does Wal-Mart make the toys, housewares, Levi jeans, and other products in their store? Are those products only available at Wal-Mart? Or do other stores carry the same bands that Wal-Mart does? I find it funny Wal-Mart "strong arms" their employees, yet they pay better the the union and local stores here. Don't like Wal-Mart, don't shop there. Put lets be honest about who makes the products and that every other store sells the same Chinese crap Wal-Mart sells.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #122
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
I've been through many small southern towns with decaying down towns and boarded up businesses because of your friends at Wal-Mart. And FYI, "Wal-Mart" and "Good Karma" don't belong in the same paragraph.
We fulltime throughout the US and yup, they’re alot of towns where WalMart is the only store. Partly because they undercut the local businesses and mostly because WalMart carried what people wanted and the small town was dying anyway - people went to “the city” to go shopping.

Chineese merchandise. Well, pretty much every big box store carries that (try buying decent screws, nut & bolts at Home Depot/Lowes). Walmart does not have the monopoly on Chineese made goods...

You pretty much made the point using Walmart as your evil example... thing of it is, if I just need a stop-over for the night and local campgrounds aren’t willing to come up with a stop-over rate (not their usual $30 on up rate) for me, then I’ll keep on going. It isn’t Walmart that’s trying to force up new city ordinances telling me where to camp for the night.

Who knows, if a local campground came up with a cheap overnight rate (no hookups, just in and out), then not only would they make some money on the deal, maybe they’d have an increase in business & this thread would be a moot point.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #123
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Up here (well, near here, sort of) the local Walmart isn't so much of a drag on local business, though they'd like to be. The issue was whether they should be allowed to build a SuperWalmart. City council agreed, but only if Walmart would break up the store into physically separated units: A grocery store, a tire/autoparts store, a clothing store, and so forth. Not surprisingly, Walmart refused. So we have a little Walmart, and folks tend to shop there only limitedly.

As far as camping is concerned, it's pretty much of a dumb one. Some folks just don't want to camp in RV parks, and that's ok, too. If they don't "camp" at Walmart (currently space for four or five RVs, at best), they'll camp elsewhere, and often do. Duh. That's called freedom.

Ultimately, it's doubtful that Walmart would want to start charging for staying in the parking lot. That would entail taxes (including both sales tax and the so-called "lodger's taxes" or "bed taxes"), detailed record keeping for audits, the whole shootin' match that RV parks and other lodging establishments have to contend with. Again, I doubt that they'd want to fiddle with it, but if they do, they'll almost certainly need to judge the meager income against the employee hours needed to keep track of it.

Lynn
Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #124
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
True Jaxon,
and your tone is much better in that post then in your previous post where you were responding to my simple statement that it isn't an easy question to many people (as you can see due to the mixed response). Sure, it's not a great thing to limit the convenience of wal-mart to sleep in, yet you have to understand that many people find the practices of wal-mart to be overly aggressive to the point of cruel. So, it's not as simple as you may think.
As for your statements Bad Monkey: no they don't make the stuff, but they use shady practices in their buying, and YES, they do strong arm their employees, they do this by keeping them on part time so they don't have to give them benefits, take hours away, and create a sexually discriminative workplace (which they then defend). Please do a bit more research on the history of walmart and how it deals with it's employees and buying before making blanket statements, like the fact they pay better (maybe without heath care).
Once again, my original post was that it's not as simple as it seems since some of us see the paving over of nice areas and the decay of small towns and maybe think that a bit of regulation couldn't hurt. You can think what you like, and I'll think what I like.
Cheers,
Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #125
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Seems like the only thing left here is: Who calls each other "Nazi" first. Hey, everybody, the world and the United States is changing.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 AM   #126
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Is anyone paying attention? Obviously not. The local governments are banning the camping in parking lots. Why anyone would want to(camp in a parking lot) is beside me, but if your going to argue, argue proper facts.

Closed Thread