Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #43
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Oh, there is one thing else I just remembered: If you do stop at Flying J for the night, park between two rigs that are idling. I remember parking between two rigs that were shut down, thinking I was smart. At 4 am, Bubba to my right cranked up his rig with the air starter. I had picked myself up off the floor from that, and just drifted off to sleep (barely), when his brother in law on the left side of me did the same thing. I gave up trying to sleep until 5 am...
Free overnight parking is worth what you pay for it.
For those of you fortunate enough to not know what I'm talking about, I found a (loud) video:

Old 05-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #44
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Ha! Sounds kind of like our place last night: Run for the Wall came through Angel Fire yesterday, and we hosted a pretty good number of them here. They had to be on the road pretty early this morning, so the Harleys started cranking up at around 5:30. Glad that there was only one RV in the park last night, and that they knew what was up!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Oh, there is one thing else I just remembered: If you do stop at Flying J for the night, park between two rigs that are idling. I remember parking between two rigs that were shut down, thinking I was smart. At 4 am, Bubba to my right cranked up his rig with the air starter. I had picked myself up off the floor from that, and just drifted off to sleep (barely), when his brother in law on the left side of me did the same thing. I gave up trying to sleep until 5 am...
Free overnight parking is worth what you pay for it.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Another hat I wear beside my blue beret is a volunteer fireman helmet. Not too long ago we had a bus accident and it was my job to set up a landing zone for the helicopters at about 3am. When we arrived at the site of the lz the chopper was circling with his landing lights on and we pulled in with red lights and sirens. There was also a moho parked for the night out in the middle of our lz. No doubt he thought he was about to be abducted by aliens (the space, not illegal type)
Old 05-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Good question... I guess for the same reasons that people spend a bazillions dollars on their rigs (or even a half-bazillion), then they use random pieces of wood to level their rigs rather than buying a decent set of leveling blocks (maybe $25)... or use boards & rocks found in the campground to elevate/guide their sewer hose rather than buying a hose support system (maybe $20)... because they penny wise and pound foolish. Seeing this in camp grounds always makes me wonder ..."Why?"

Why?, he asks. Well, the answer is obvious. Many people don't like the government telling them they can't camp overnight on the parking lot of a private business. The question that should be asked is "Why do some people want to give government the power to tell them where they can camp, what doctor they see and who knows what else is being cooked up in Washington as I type this.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
This thread is funnier than the Comedy Channel. Many good laughs! Adios, John
Old 05-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Hi to all! I guess that many of you who travel maybe are mad at parking lot overniters, but when campgrounds are overpriced dirty from over use and no care or up keep you see why people look to quick over nite solutions!
You seem to blame wall mart,I think its thank you to its customers!! PS Lumatic send me a note would love to trade Shoulder Flashes!! retired cappy
Old 05-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Last night we were making our way home from a beautiful camping vacation. We were just passing through a town and needed to rest before driving the remaining miles home. We paid $28 just to sleep in our AS in a crowded "parking lot." We did not need or want any hookups or facilities. I wouldn't have minded paying if it were a non-parking lot. It did not seem much nicer than a Wal-Mart, though we've never used a Wal-Mart to rest. I couldn't wait to pull out of there this morning.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Flying J appears to have 6 locations in Maine.

What is the difference between overnight "parking" and napping off a late night or early morning snack?

The proposed policy is totally Un-American.

When I am hungry and tired, who are they to tell me where I can linger?

It is somewhat sad that their parks attractions and facilities are so lacking that they can't attract a clientele.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I like most of the others in this thread think that things would be better if government stayed out of this. I have never stayed even a few hours in a WalMart parking lot, but I don't like the idea that the choice could be taken away by legislation. The campgound owners who would like to put an end to WalMart parking will be the next to cry foul when their legislators find that they have another avenue to regulate and tax. Just look at the T.O.T. (transit occupancy tax) that the motel/hotel industry passes on to their clients. The idea is that the people using these things are not from the area and are using the local resources so they should pay for them. Unfortunately, they fail to understand that visitors bring money and when the prices get too onerous---good bye money. Maybe I shouldn't post this thread...it might give the Maine lawmakers an idea on a new source of revenue.

Randy
Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #52
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
Maybe I shouldn't post this thread...it might give the Maine lawmakers an idea on a new source of revenue.

Randy
As long as it's the lawmakers in Maine that get the idea, and not the lawmakers from the Granola State...
Old 05-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Another whining, squeaky wheel gets the grease, waaa waaa waaa, screw it up for the rest of us, crap! I mean c'mon, are Maine RV sites sooooo expensive that people actually choose to stay in a Walmart parking lot? Aren't there more important things in life than tie up peoples time, much less the legal system???..... Like, uh, how about water boarding? Imagine this; I'm driving along with my 1965 Overlander in tow and see that the next Maine "campsite" (oooooh, can't wait to stay in one of those, I've heard so much about them) is 20 miles away I have pushed my driving day maybe a little too far, but ahhh, my GPS shows a Walmart 5 miles away. I choose to be SAFE and get some shut eye in the WALMART parking lot (and I might add, I have never stayed in Walmart parking lot before, but would like to be ABLE to should the need arise). Then I read the sign, "NO OVERNIGHT PARKING thanks to your local whiners, state ordinance blah blah blah blah blah". So I press on, and fall asleep behind the wheel and plow head on into a family of 4. Do the math, or is it only YOUR math that concerns you? MINE MINE MINE MINE ME ME ME ME. Local government BAILS OUT Maines Campgrounds news @ 11:00!
I think that was my first rant! I'm tired, gonna go find a Walmart here in GORGEOUS CALIFORNIA. Did I mention the earthquakes are terrible here, STAY AWAY!
Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansenClan View Post
I think that was my first rant! I'm tired, gonna go find a Walmart here in GORGEOUS CALIFORNIA. Did I mention the earthquakes are terrible here, STAY AWAY!

The earthquakes are nothing compared to the taxes!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #55
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
The earthquakes are nothing compared to the taxes!
...And everything causes cancer in California!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
"I mean c'mon, are Maine RV sites sooooo expensive that people actually choose to stay in a Walmart parking lot?"

But many RV parks ARE parking lots if you don't mind paying for the privilege to park, sleep and move on.

Closed Thread