Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Visiting CO - looking for someplace close

Hello, Am going to be heading to Colo. next week to visit Mom who lives in Grand Junction and Daughter who lives inthe Denver ,Westminster area,.A couple of questions .Any place close to westminster for camping? NFS, or county Would probably be best I have a few to many dogs for most campgrounds. Sadly won't be traveling in my Argosy MH. but the other MH. Also to get from Grand Junction to Denver I don't want to drive up 70.How are the roads from Loma #139 to 40 and the other one from Rifle north?And heading on into Denver on 40 should I expect anything?All input is appreciated. Is there any good camping around Grand Junction? I can stay on my Mom's street not ideal but ok for a couple of days Would like to take Mom camping somewhere nice. Thank you. Boondocking is ok .Would prefer boondocking just figured no place close to Denver .And didn't think about GJ.I don't need hookups so any where nice.
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
139 is pretty steep and windy over the pass. some 15 mph corners but it is doable.. The road up from Rifle is not as bad and my be a better option, lees stress on the brakes...

The south side of the colorado national monument has some very nice camp sites in the park...

Not sure about the east side of the mountains...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
The south side of the colorado national monument has some very nice camp sites in the park...
CNM is neat, I was there last year. One caution is that at that time they were doing a poor job of trimming branches in the campground, so some of them where grown up into the parking spaces. I can't speak to the condition of the electric loop though.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Thanks for the quick replies.Sounds like the way to go would be Rifle.Less stress on the brakes and on me. Am not much for going interstate if I don't have to.Will check out the Colo Nat. Mon.Watching out for branches along the way.Really need some place to stay around Denver have looked on the inter net there are several state county and nfs cg in the area does anyone have experience with any of these.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
Western US Cities , CA,AZ,NV,UT,OR,WA
Gypsy Jo,

Not certain how far this would be from your daughter but you may want to research City of Golden Colorado - Where the West Lives! - Clear Creek RV Park.

Mike
Seymour1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
When I visit my Sis is Broomfield (that is adjacent to Westminster) I camp at Boyd Lakes State Park in Loveland. It is about forty miles from Broomfield but to me it is worth it to be away from the congestion of Denver Metro. Except for holiday weekends we've had little problem getting a space there. It is not far from Estes, just down the road from Ft. Collins, etc.

Gene
Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Here is one you might look at. I haven't experienced it personally, but it is a bit closer than Boyd Lake up in Loveland.

Barbour Ponds State Park | Colorado | Public Lands Information Center | Recreation Search

If you don't mind being a bit further out into the mountains there is Golden Gate Canyon State Park. There you can get hookups or not. Very nice place with many campsites. It is 10miles NE of Blackhawk gambling town.

Here is website...
Golden Gate State Park - Colorado State Parks

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
In Denver check out Cherry Creek State Park.
In Grand Junction, try Saddlehorn CG in the CO Nat. Mon.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Thanks for all the info. I had been looking at Golden Gate Canyon SP.Looks nice.Does anyone know how busy it will be in 2 or 3 weeks?Cherry Creek looks really nice also but might be little to close to city for me . Barbour Ponds looks nice and quiet.that is a possibility.40 miles might be a little far for my daughter but like the idea of being away from city congestion.Not that I'm going to be driving around much but am not used to city life.Will be checking out the other ones .Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
How are the roads from Loma #139 to 40 and the other one from Rifle north?And heading on into Denver on 40 should I expect anything? \
Gypsy Jo: Someone suggested I get the Mountain Directory from Camping World which I just did about a week ago. Here's what I found:
Hwy 139 north of Grand Junction: Douglas Pass - North bound has a descent of 3 miles of steady 7-8% grade with 20, 25, and 30 mph curves. South bound has descent of 6 miles of 6-8% grade with 25 mph curves and numerous 15 mph curves with switchbacks. One section 1/10 miles has a 10-12% grade.
Hwy 13 north of Rifle doesn't list any grade notices.
Hwy 40 has 2 grades east of Steamboat Springs & one closer to Denver. Steamboat grades going east are 5-6% and going west 7%. One grade closest to Denver on Hwy 40 are in the 6% grade with speed limits of 20 to 25 mph hairpin curves.
Hope this helps. Directory for Western US cost $16.95 at Camping World. They also sell a Eastern US Mountain Directory. In most cases, the Directory lists DECENTS from the Summit.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Gypsey Jo

I lived in GJ for a while and I would stay off 130 between Loma and Rangely. Althoug it is considered a state road it is sometimes lacking maintenance. I haven't been on it for several years so it may have been upgraded. Highway 13 north or Rifle has one long hill about 5 miles but it is well kept. If you take 13 watch for deer on the highway.

I haven't done much camping around Denver. Fro the sounds of what the other posts are there are more than adequate campgrounds.

Good Luck.

Bob
4CU/CAC
WBCCI #10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Definitely not taking 139.Checked out Clear Creek very nice looking cg maybe to nice.Couldn't get the site on Saddlehorn CG.to load but will check it out sounds great and pics of the monument awesome.Have lived in Co. so understand the mountain driving but have not been in that part of the state before ,been to Denver on 70 .That could be a handy book to have around.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
GypsyJo - If you click on the GGState Park website on my previous post, it has the reserve a campsite tab available. The weekends look to be filled, but weekdays are open. Depending on you situation, you might be able to book for week, then move to front of daughters house for weekend, or other possibility is moving to private CG for weekend? Here is one operated thru city of Golden...

City of Golden Colorado - Where the West Lives! - Clear Creek RV Park

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We stayed at Chatfield Reservoir State Park last night. Very nice park with a variety of accommodations. It is just south of Littleton however, so is a long ways from Broomfield.
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Yah, Chatfield would be a long haul thru lots of traffic, we used to go up to Westminster to visit family before they moved back to Austin. Even on just few occasions it was like driving to another state timewise w/backups and breakdowns on I-25 and 36 to Boulder. Hey, I had another thought...you could check to see if there are any ASForum members up north of Denver who have the parking privilege on their member page and PM them to see if you could "campout" for the week (weekend). I know there are several forum members in the Thorton/Arvada area, just don't know if they have listed parking privileges. Never hurts to ask tho!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jo View Post
Hello, Am going to be heading to Colo. next week to visit Mom who lives in Grand Junction and Daughter who lives inthe Denver ,Westminster area,.A couple of questions .Any place close to westminster for camping? .................
Check this link. I've never stayed there however, as I live three miles away.
Facilities - Fairgrounds Campground
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Thanks will check out new suggestions.Appreciate all the replies and info .Will make trip a little less stressfull. GJ. doesn't bother me .Denver area is another story much better if I have an idea of where I am going.Thanks again.