Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Dalllas , Texas
Vintage

What does it take to boondock in a
Vintage Airstream. I am Updating my ‘63 Sovereign. I inherited The airstream from my grandparents who purchased it new. It Is basically all original. It has been sitting idle for many years in inside storage. As I have to update the plumbing , electrical and so forth I’m curious what things I need to do while keeping it as original as possible.,
Laflerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Vintage boondocking can be a challenge because rules have changed in the last 50 years. With no gray tanks you need a 'blueboy' to catch drainage. The single battery doesn't last long with non-led lights.
We boondock quite a bit in our '63 but it has updated lighting, a lithium battery and a gray tank. We also added 200 w of solar to keep us charged.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
We boondock frequently in our '63 Avion T-20, and yes, the Port-O-Tote is a necessity for the gray water! I've swapped all the straight DC lighting with LED bayonet auto bulbs, and the only other 12v draw is the air pump for the water system (the portable radio runs on Duracells). I do put out a small 18w amorphous solar panel to trickle charge the battery--we can go a week+ with a single marine deep cycle battery.
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote