Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I went up toward Port Aransas before hitting Padre Island this past Saturday and then headed south. The beach was packed but the temp was only 82 due to a passing cold front.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Hot & humid has arrived. On the island it isn't much of a problem, here on shore it's "hunker down in the A/C until October" except before 0900 and past 1800 (the worst is 1400-1630).

Typo above: that Mexican restaurant in CC is "La Playa" with a couple of locations. Try also, "Kiko's" a mile off South Padre Island Drive (the highway). We've tried at least a dozen Mexican restaurants and find that CC is overrun with low-quality, but low-priced food of this style. The two recommended are still very good on price, AND the food is good.

U&I Steakhouse, downtown, is inexpensive for the fares offered, and one can park the whole rig across the road in a city lot. Under South Bluff, just off of the marina and beaches downtown. We rely on it for after-church, and prior to museum programs when with guests.

Also, in Port Aransas: Beach & Station Street Grill; Castaways.

In Aransas Pass: The Bakery Cafe

For Diesel: The VALERO station at Interstate 37 & Navigation Blvd, Exit [3] barely out of downtown CC and just off of S.P.I.D. (TX-358) from the island; or, off of TX-35 from Rockport.

There are plenty of places to buy diesel, but this place really pumps it, and the centralized location to this whole region makes it ideal.

I can haul my 63' rig off the service road around the station in back to Big Truck pumps (even if I have to wait; but those pumps really push it fast). The diesel, needless to say, is quite fresh being a hop, a skip & a jump from three refineries. Usually 10-cents cheaper per gallon.

As to ATV's, I'm clueless. Lot's of 4WD vehicles around here, and I have seen ATV's on Charlie's Pasture at the Ship Channel in Port Aransas, and, I think, on the National Seashore down past mile marker 11 (I'd check their site).

Bob Thompson posts on here (he's the windsurfer-sail repair/mods expert) and he's bound to know more than me on plenty of questions.

This is a beautiful, quiet place. The scenery on the way here is subtle to decipher, even for a Texan, but once here . . !!!!!!!!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Bob can probably verify whether this is true or not but I have never seen an ATV in the sand dunes nor have I seen 4 wheel drive vehicles in the dunes. I did see a few ATVs and motorcycles on the beach though. I'm thinking that riding in the dunes is forbidden due to erosion.

I'm not sure if this was posted earlier or not, you have to buy a $10 annual pass to drive/park on the beach. As we were leaving there was a guy checking stickers on windshields of parked vehicles.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
The beach is beautiful on the barrier island, it changes constantly. Yes, trash may wash in from all over the Gulf and sometimes sargassum weed is thick, but you won't ever forget the trip . .
I'm glad I found this thread. Padre Island National Seashore, PINS as it is affectionately called, is a well kept secret even among Texans. It's one of the most amazing places I have ever visited. Consider this thread triple-double secret! PINS, encompassing 130,434 acres, is the longest remaining undeveloped stretch of barrier island in the world. Padre Island National Seashore

Make no mistake about it this place is wild. What is amazing to me is that although it is managed by the national park service as a national park it is still relatively unregulated. Hence the secret. Where can you still drive down a beach on the beach for 60 miles? I certainly wouldn't recommend driving it without a four wheel drive and lots of experience but after about mile 20 or 30 and well beyond the reach of the two wheel drives this beach becomes literally wilderness.

Yes, there are fisherman, and surfers, and others who venture beyond the comfortable driving zones but for the most part those who do have the utmost respect for the seashore. The park is known for its sea turtles and bird watching as well as for fishing, surfing and kayaking. There are also some amazing human beings who inhabit this place and who have made it their home over the years. These individuals work tirelessly to keep this place clean. You'll be lucky if you meet them.

One these individuals is Captain Billy Sandifer. Cap'n Sandifer is a man who knows Padre Island like very few others since the original Native Americans who inhabited these beaches. He is a fountain of knowledge on this beautiful Texas barrier island and it's long history. A man who focuses on the conservation of our natural resources and loves teaching others the same. Billy's passion for this island and everything it contains from the smallest shell to the largest meanest bull shark is unmatched. Captain Billy Sandifer Even the extreme shark fisherman who frequent PINS practice ecological minded cut and release techniques here and donate funds from their tournaments back to the park. Sharkathon

Check out Billy's site and you'll find lots of interesting details including fishing charters, naturalist charters, birding reports, turtle nesting reports, as well as details about beach clean-ups and ways to contribute to this unique community. Unfortunately, as has been said, trash does wash up to this beach from all over the Gulf. Many, many thanks to all those who have tirelessly gone above and beyond the call of duty to keep this place wild and free!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Bob can probably verify whether this is true or not but I have never seen an ATV in the sand dunes nor have I seen 4 wheel drive vehicles in the dunes. I did see a few ATVs and motorcycles on the beach though. I'm thinking that riding in the dunes is forbidden due to erosion.

I'm not sure if this was posted earlier or not, you have to buy a $10 annual pass to drive/park on the beach. As we were leaving there was a guy checking stickers on windshields of parked vehicles.
Correct on the beach pass.

No one allowed in dunes. The situation at Charlie's Pasture is likely to change once fences go back up. The beach is great at the national seashore (I rode it a few weekends back with a long-time, four-wheeling/fishing resident), but be aware that in just 45-minutes it can change from good to bad or back. I wouldn't venture onto the Nat'l Seashore past the four-wheel-drive-recommended sign w/o that equipment.

As to the other, more popular beaches, 2wd is adequate, my highway rib (very low traction) truck tires are adequate, but no more.

As to other attractions, at Port Aransas one may visit the University of Texas Marine Science Institute, directly on the ship channel entrance. Has a nice set of displays inside, and I have enjoyed just sitting in the parking lot to watch a tanker sail past.

Outreach | Marine Science Institute

One ought also to check birding sites for recommendations for the areas to be seen. There is one just outside Port Aransas where we recently wandered out past the water treatment plant to check out some blue-billed ducks (we think, ducks) and a 12' alligator resting out of the sun under the elevated walkway. I'm told that this also changes week to week (salt marsh) and is a favorite for a post-dinner walk. A pic on this site:

Port Aransas, Texas - Texas Coastal Bend Regional Tourism Council
Old 05-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Dune

REDNAX thank-you for all your informative posts about the area. I've always wanted to know where to locate the best restaurants after a long, hot, gritty stay on the beach!

Concerning dunes: for as long as I can remember the dunes in the park have been considered off-limits to any and all motor-powered vehicles. Even walking in the dunes is discouraged. There is a good reason for this rule. According to the website for the park:

"Sand blowing off the Gulf beaches forms the dunes lining the island’s eastern shore. These are known as the “fore-island dunes”. Their existence is critical to the island because they form a natural dike, which prevents storm tides from inundating and consequently destroying the grasslands. In essence, they can be thought of as the barrier in the term “barrier island”. Walking in the dunes is discouraged, because paths can form and gradually widen into large gaps, which can require a long time to heal."

As has been said the weather and environmental conditions at PINS can change in a heart beat. It is what is referred to as Big Country with a capital B. And you can definitely feel it which is a good reason to visit. However, be careful. REDNAX's warning is a good one. Stay well inside the two-wheel drive area. No kidding! I know it's tempting. Like gazing into the abyss!

Actually I have driven the entire 60 miles all the way to the jetty at the cut in two-wheel drive under ideal conditions although of course I was in a four wheel drive vehicle and would have locked in the axles at the least sign of trouble. KIDS: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

If you choose to ignore the warnings at your own risk, as some do, make sure you are extremely careful about the tides. At certain times high tide will push the driving zone up close to the dunes where the sand is deep and not compacted for driving. Deep sand means you WILL get stuck --even in the best four-wheel drives. Also note when venturing beyond the comfort zones make sure you have plenty of gas. Driving in deep sand in four-wheel drive consumes lots of fuel! You wouldn't be the first to run out of gas, find yourself stuck, and at the exact moment the tides are rolling in. You get the picture. Emergency help is a long, long way away.

Please don't think I'm discouraging anyone's visit. On the contrary. It's a fantastic place. Just a reasonable warning to stay within the obvious boundaries and within your level of experience and you'll have a wonderful time! Enjoy!

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Spi

Having lived in and around the Island for the past 30 years I can say that ATVs are not welcome.....nor should they be. The dunes and shore survive and can still be enjoyed.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
NORTH Padre Island National Seashore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel
A couple of months ago, I posted the attached question about boondocking on South Padre National Seashore (SPNS)...We went this past weekend (Saturday-Monday Nov 18-20). Its about 5 hours from our home in Houston...

The executive summary is that SPNS provides 5 miles of uncrowded beach boondocking accessible by almost any vehicle, provided the driver is moderately careful.
Many thanks Tin Diesel for starting this thread. I was reading through the posts again and noticed something that didn't catch my attention the first read through that should be pointed out to avoid a lot of confusion especially for folks who aren't familiar with this area.

It seems to me (and please correct me if I'm wrong), based on the descriptions being given, that this thread has been describing NORTH Padre Island National Seashore not SOUTH Padre Island. These are two entirely different places. Even Texans confuse the two!

The main difference that separates North from South Padre Island is the Mansfield Channel. The only way across that channel is on a boat and not a small one either! There is no ferry. The drive to the southern tip of North Padre Island is 60 miles and requires a four wheel drive vehicle and a full tank of fuel to make the journey there and back.

Also North Padre Island is located just outside Corpus Christi, Texas while South Padre Island is accessible only through Brownsville and Port Isabel, Texas. Brownsville is in the southern most part of Texas and on the border near Matamoros, Mexico. That's a long way from Corpus Christi if you're using roads! Quite a different story if you're in a boat! South Padre Island is not part of the national park known as Padre Island National Seashore (PINS).

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yes, it is a bit confusing. The main freeway through CC is called, "South Padre Island Drive", [TX-358]. The islands are a series of barrier islands, South Padre, North Padre, Mustang, St. Joseph's (still private), and onwards towards Galveston.

South Padre/Port Isabel is the furthest point south of the continental U.S., and is a tropical beauty in the wilderness areas (few) that remain. It is a good deal more green, the water is warmer and Mexico can be enjoyed for lunch and shopping. The beach has a large number of condominiums due to wealthy Mexican tourists the past 20-years. About 150-miles south through the King and other giant ranches (half-million acres and more).

It is fairly said that while Texas extends to the Rio Grande, the United States ends at Corpus Christi. The Rio Grande Valley is a world of it's own.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
SOUTH Padre Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX

South Padre/Port Isabel is the furthest point south of the continental U.S., and is a tropical beauty in the wilderness areas (few) that remain. It is a good deal more green, the water is warmer and Mexico can be enjoyed for lunch and shopping. The beach has a large number of condominiums due to wealthy Mexican tourists the past 20-years.
Your description of South Padre Island brings back memories. This is the island that is famous in this region for wild (the other kind) spring-break parties. Unless you're into that scene I would recommend avoiding the area during that time of the year.

When I was there many years ago I didn't have the time to explore and only saw part of the northern reaches of island. What I saw was awesome. It's a real loss if commerce has taken over the wilderness. The main parts of the island as you suggest are highly commercial.

Maybe someone could do a post on the northern wilderness areas of the island as well as the southern more commercial areas. I'm sure there must be RV parks somewhere on the island but I'm not sure?

And what is the access like to the wilderness area? As I recall take the main island road north and one will quickly and easy find access to the dunes and beaches. When I was there I don't recall any regulation although parking would be a major problem along the side of the road unless you're only in a tow vehicle. I suspect boondocking would be impossible. Note also there is no vehicular access to the beach.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Boondocking impossible???

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocoque
I'm sure there must be RV parks somewhere on the island but I'm not sure?

And what is the access like to the wilderness area? As I recall take the main island road north and one will quickly and easy find access to the dunes and beaches. When I was there I don't recall any regulation although parking would be a major problem along the side of the road unless you're only in a tow vehicle. I suspect boondocking would be impossible. Note also there is no vehicular access to the beach.
No vehicular access to the beach???

If you want to have your RV on the beach, just drive it out on the beach and pick your own spot. Here, we have just returned from a walk on the beach and have our shell collection on the window ledge and life seems very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avion_carol_explorer_beach.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	60960  
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
No vehicular access to the beach???

Not true.
If you want to have your RV on the beach, just drive it out on the beach and pick your own spot. Here, we have just returned from a walk on the beach and have our shell collection on the window ledge and life seems very good.
Are you parked on NORTH Padre Island National Seashore near Corpus Christi or SOUTH Padre Island near Brownsville/Port Isabel? There is a huge difference as we have been discussing above! See post number 28 and the following posts of this thread. From the looks of the beach you appear to have a really nice setup on North Padre Island! Just to be perfectly clear and to avoid the apparent confusion on this thread: boondocking is possible on North Padre Island but not on South Padre Island. Wish I were there! Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
North & South Padre Islands

Found a map on the North Padre Island National Seashore website that shows the difference between North and South Padre Islands. A pictures speaks a thousand words! Notice the Port Mansfield Channel that separates the two islands.

Padre Island National Seashore - Maps (U.S. National Park Service)

Since 1964, the island has been divided by the artificial Port Mansfield Channel, and as a result, the terms "North Padre Island" and "South Padre Island" are often used to refer to the separate portions of the island. Unfortunately unless you have a boat or can swim long distance in the ocean it is not possible to reach South Padre Island via North Padre Island and vice versa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMP_PAIS_cropped_to_415x600.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	60962  

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I've only been to South Padre Island once when growing up but spent a good portion of growing up going to North Padre Island for surf fishing, swimming and camping out. I've caught many a speckled trout off the Bob Hall pier before the hurricane which destroyed it and then off the rebuilt pier. Those were the good ole days.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Craig, check out the Bob Hall Pier Surf Cams!

Coastal Surfing - North & South America, Texas, & Australian Surfing

Also known as the seaweed cam!

Sargassum Symposium 2008 | Sargassum / Seaweed Cam at Bob Hall Pier

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Thanks Todd. I also checked out the windandwave.net site for kayaks while I was reading the reports.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Kayaking

PINS is one of my favorite places to kayak. Especially on the bay side of the island. It's just a spectacular place for kayaking and sight seeing. Did I say spectacular? You think I'm just kidding... don't you? And if you enjoy fishing take a fly rod or some ultralight fishing tackle along with you and catch a few trout for dinner.

We like to put the kayaks in at Yarborough Pass which is on Little Shell Beach just before mile post 15. Yes, that's 15 miles down the beach. I should mention again that this is well beyond the 2 wheel drive section of the island. Be careful if you go here and pay attention to the tides. If you do go and bring a kayak you will be rewarded!

BTW there is an great zoomable map of the island on the park website. Go to the main page of the site and click on the view map link. PINS And if you like kayaks and airstreams check out this thread on our own AIR forum. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ams-41426.html

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Here's the link to the earlier thread on boondocking Padre Island. Lots of interesting posts there too.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f386...one-26158.html

- Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 11-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Looking forward to hearing from you winter visitors this year in this thread.

Welcome to PM me if I can be of any help for recommendations. We are still new here and have gotten around the area more. Would enjoy learning.

One of Texas Monthly's best 50 Barbecue joints is just halfway between Corpus Christi and San Antonio at Exit 65, Oakville, Tx (East side of roadway, on the northbound side). Yes, no "real" parking lot, but enough of a caliche shoulder to pull off onto (no ditch) for my 61' TV/TT.

Texas Monthly: Food, Dining and Recipes

Best Texas Interstate BBQ - SouthernLiving.com Blog - Tales from the Road

Hurricane Ike hit 200 miles up the coast, but the winds and high tides damaged the Seashore, and Bob Hall Pier has to be repaired.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Is it still there?

I am dragging the Caravel thru there tomorrow. Is the Black Diamond Oyster Bar still there? I may have to spend a few days there if so.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote