Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Van Nuys , California
Travel and storage

I am new to air streaming. I haven't even taken delivery of my new unit. However, a local friend and long time motorhome owner told us of a possibility that we had not thought of. Perhaps some of you might know of such a thing. At any rate, he said, "if you find a place that you like, they might have storage facilities there which would enable you to leave the trailer there and you could call them in advance of your coming and they will bring it out of storage and put it on a pad for you." Has anyone ever heard of such a thing. And if you have, please share that with us. Thank you.

Pilgrimsoul
Pilgrimsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We belong to a resort campground that has different levels of membership. One level is for those that will only camp different times ofthe season, the campground has a storage lot in which to leave ones unit. When one is coming to camp, the CG will locate your trailer on a pre selected site. All of this for $$$$.
The other levels are permenant and "vagabon"
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Don't know how common it is, but I know of 2 campgrounds in our area that will store your unit, then pull it out to a site for you upon request. $$$ involved. One charges for both services, the other only for the storage. Don't forget: Airstreams are designed & built for travel. They don't do well sitting still. Keep moving my friend.
Safe & happy travels. John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think you will find quite a few RV parks that will do that, although we have never tried it.

We don't tend to use our trailer much in summer, and instead tour on a motorcycle in summer, using the Airstream to head south in the winter.

Since we have to pay about $1000 a year to store the trailer, something I am now considering is to rent a seasonal site at a campground within - say 50 miles of our home, where we can also store it for the winter - we would then take it south as usual for a 7-8 weeks.

As opposed to the $1000 we now pay to store the trailer, one place I checked would charge us about $2300 to set it up on a full service site in their park for 7 months and an extra $120 for winter storage.

With that arrangement, we might tend to use it more in summer - could even just ride the bike to it.

My only concern is that the winter storage be such that it not get snowed in as we need to get it out to head south - I would need to be sure of that!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since you live in a heavily populated area, there are probably many options available to you. All it takes is money. But I prefer to keep it at home where I can work on it—and there are always things to fix and improvements to make. Some storage places won't allow you to work on the trailer. A storage lot may not have good security and there is the possibility your trailer could be stolen.

When you are getting ready to take a trip, packing the trailer takes a long time. Storage may mean there is no water to fill the fresh water tank.

You may live in a town or have an HOA that won't allow RV's at home, and then you have no choice.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
For our first 8yrs of Stream'n we remote stored, a real PITA packing, sometimes requiring several 10mi trips to get on the road.

If your not planning a lot of on-the-road time that wouldn't be much of a problem.

How comfortable would you be trusting someone whose not invested moving your new AS around?

Our HOA allows home storage, very convenient plus... it just looks good sitting there.

Bob
Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I would prefer to keep mine at home however I live in a HOA community that does not allow long term storage. So I rent outdoor space at one of the local storage facilities. It has cameras and 24 hour access.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote