Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #81
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
What!!! You best go read the label again... then head over to the manufacture tow pamplet... indeed the pax are part of the TV and hitch payload... I just went through all of the calcs and manufacture statements on TV... You won't find much in the owners manual... you have to go to the year model and then run down the table to find out what it can tow... according to engine size and payload... its all the GCVW's and all that get really confusing...

Years ago we just ask what will it tow... pointing to the ball on the back end of the TV... today its much more complex... and I have heard several horror stories about being pulled over by the highway police... and weighed... if the TV doesn't have the range... you get a ticket... ($450.00) kind and they have the trailer towed to a storage lot... right then and their... you can pick it up after going to court... (they consider overloading as careless and reckless on the highway) and don't be agassed if you get chewed out like some people said they were by the judge... saying your endangering others on the highway...

I guess after all the accidents by the newbies.. etc... the highway safety people are taking this issue serious...

As to hitch weights... yep most of the time the dealers put you out with the heaviest hitch they have for the TV and trailer... which is not as good as doing the math... Most TV's that are PUs in the ford 250-450 range really dont need equalization...but just stability control... so a car is a orange and at PU is a apple kinda thing...

Reese and others have great info on all this.. after all they are the industry leaders...

Just my 2 cents worth... after looking at my sticker in the glove box...
Hi

Every manufacturer has their own approach. On every vehicle I've ever owned, the "sticker payload" *is* after you load it up with a number of passengers (including driver) at some stated weight per passenger. It might be two 125 lb passengers. It could be six people at 175 lb. Once you dig through all the documentation (tow, sticker, axles, GVWR, ...) they are quite consistent in how they add it all up. There could be a manufacturer out there that does not do it this way. So far I have not run into them. I've owned a lot of brands over the years and had to dig into the tow / load numbers on just about all of them. That's not to say I always complied with all those numbers

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #82
Davey "Ham" KU9L

Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
What!!! You best go read the label again... then head over to the manufacture tow pamplet... indeed the pax are part of the TV and hitch payload... I just went through all of the calcs and manufacture statements on TV... You won't find much in the owners manual... you have to go to the year model and then run down the table to find out what it can tow... according to engine size and payload... its all the GCVW's and all that get really confusing...

Years ago we just ask what will it tow... pointing to the ball on the back end of the TV... today its much more complex... and I have heard several horror stories about being pulled over by the highway police... and weighed... if the TV doesn't have the range... you get a ticket... ($450.00) kind and they have the trailer towed to a storage lot... right then and their... you can pick it up after going to court... (they consider overloading as careless and reckless on the highway) and don't be agassed if you get chewed out like some people said they were by the judge... saying your endangering others on the highway...

I guess after all the accidents by the newbies.. etc... the highway safety people are taking this issue serious...

As to hitch weights... yep most of the time the dealers put you out with the heaviest hitch they have for the TV and trailer... which is not as good as doing the math... Most TV's that are PUs in the ford 250-450 range really dont need equalization...but just stability control... so a car is a orange and at PU is a apple kinda thing...

Reese and others have great info on all this.. after all they are the industry leaders...

Just my 2 cents worth... after looking at my sticker in the glove box...

The label attached to the inside of the glove box is the summation of the raw payload capability of that truck model minus 900 pounds for passengers and minus factory installed options. Dealer and user installed options further will reduce this number. Folks are always shocked to see this number smaller than the published numbers in the pamphlet, but a few axles & Springs have been broken from folks smacking a fully loaded 6000 pound truck camper onto a King Ranch truck with 6 passengers, all options possible installed, and with the label in the glove box saying 3950 pounds after the 900 pound allotment for passengers. It is just a simple math equation. In the end the payload in the published pamphlet is the same, but every ounce needs to be included in the equation.
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM   #83
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My 35' Silver Streak behind my one ton Dodge with Hensley hitch is right at 63'. RV max in most states is 65'.

Problem isn't length, even turning radius. It's getting into and out of parking designed for cars.

My Class 8 tank rig is a good deal shorter than my RV.

Neither can make it into a variety of parking lots if spaces are in use.

If you KNOW you can park in areas where service deliveries are made (adjacent) then I'd look for a late 34' tridem Axle. Nothing pulls better, and tongue weight is lower.

Your truck fantasy is killing the thing. An AS needs a close match. Leave out some of the junk that rarely gets used. Rent or borrow instead.

A Max Tow Ford half (see threads) would be far better.

So, what I'm saying, is don't be in a rush. Plenty more to read around here.

Big trailers have big water capacity. That's the single important factor in limitations. Big propane tanks second. And big roof for solar if desired.

Dishwasher (uses less water) clothes washer/dryer are feasible.

There's a family of seven/eight has done extensive travel and trailer remodel. Can't remember name, but read and absorb their thinking.

I'm third generation and have seen a good bit. Take more time.

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #84
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just an observation:

As you get up into the > 60' range, finding campsites that are big enough for both the TV and the AS may be a limitation. Not so much out in the middle of nowhere, but in things like state parks (or national parks) your choices get to be fewer and fewer as the combo gets longer. Even in an area that has big enough sites, the route in may be a bit "interesting" to work out. I'd suggest doing some research on the areas you intend to go.

Yes, I do have empirical data on the "route in" issue within 3 hours of here ...fortunately we took good advice from here on the forum and first scouted out the route without anything in tow.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote