Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2017, 08:55 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I say go for it. Whatever size rig, you need to set aside serious cash for a solid solar system, lithium batteries etc. anywhere from $10-15K. To achieve your plans, I think that is a must, especially if you go off grid..

I know me at will say just spend $1-2K on a generator, but after several months with a high end solar systems, all I can say is it's awesome and a must if you are planning to move as you are on a daily basis..... good luck, keep us posted on your decisions and adventures!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #42
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do go the full multi KW solar route, skip the factory solar option when ordering your AS. It adds nothing that will be used in a full setup. Save the money and put it into the "good stuff". Also consider that it will add weight and take up space. Neither is a killer if you are aware of it ahead of your order and do the math.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #43
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You might want to consider a motorhome as you investigate your alternatives. The added space of slideouts can make them quite roomy. Many boondocking parking lot solutions follow the norm of not using the slides, but when you can, your life will be a bit easier on rainy days. The storage space under the floor will help manage the stroller and dog toys. A towd might be better to negotiate the LA rush hour too.

One other thought is that some folks think the Oliver is a good long term purchase. Not shiny, but rugged. Worth looking if it fits the bill. There are other cults besides Aluminitis.

Your thought on getting just what you want has some value. It is also a misconception. Upgrades are the stew meat. The coach is just the broth. While newer units are starting to have better features, you are never going to get a mark II nuclear generator that runs on trash without buying and installing it aftermarket. Solar, better batteries, beds for the kids as they grow and similar custom changes are better engineered aftermarket as well.

The AS is not a four season abode. The metal ribs that separate the inner and outer skins provide great strength, but the transfer heat/cool very well too. It takes considerable power to cool and gas to heat, because the insulation is marginal. If you can follow the seasons, no problem. If you have to follow the job, you might give temperature control efficiency a thought.

Good luck in your investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
You might want to consider a motorhome as you investigate your alternatives. The added space of slideouts can make them quite roomy. Many boondocking parking lot solutions follow the norm of not using the slides, but when you can, your life will be a bit easier on rainy days. The storage space under the floor will help manage the stroller and dog toys. A towd might be better to negotiate the LA rush hour too.

One other thought is that some folks think the Oliver is a good long term purchase. Not shiny, but rugged. Worth looking if it fits the bill. There are other cults besides Aluminitis.

Your thought on getting just what you want has some value. It is also a misconception. Upgrades are the stew meat. The coach is just the broth. While newer units are starting to have better features, you are never going to get a mark II nuclear generator that runs on trash without buying and installing it aftermarket. Solar, better batteries, beds for the kids as they grow and similar custom changes are better engineered aftermarket as well.

The AS is not a four season abode. The metal ribs that separate the inner and outer skins provide great strength, but the transfer heat/cool very well too. It takes considerable power to cool and gas to heat, because the insulation is marginal. If you can follow the seasons, no problem. If you have to follow the job, you might give temperature control efficiency a thought.

Good luck in your investigation. Pat
Good thoughtful post.

I agree with Pat. A small motorhome with slide outs would be much much better, easier, and cheaper than a new Airstream and F-350. You could easily afford a new Mini and a new Winnebago Via for the cost of a new F-350 and a 30 foot Airstream.

You would have a lot more room, more storage, could more easily up and move, have a better commute vehicle, save substantial amounts of money in fuel for commuting, and have better heating and cooling efficiency.

If you don't want to tow a Mini or smart car behind the motorhome. Your wife could always drive the Mini while you drive the motorhome or vice-versa. It gives you two vehicles while traveling long distance which is better for safety. If you are towing an Airstream with your Ford F-350 and it breaks down on the road out in the boondocks, you are stuck. No cell service, no vehicle, and you need to tow a trailer and a truck to a repair center. With a motorhome, if it breaks down, then you have the towed vehicle to drive you to a hotel or at least a safer location for your family.

Motorhomes have much more storage under the vehicle and usually have built-in generators, a boon docking must for a family in a hot climate. You will want to run your air conditioner and you can't in an Airstream unless you carry a big heavy generator in the back of your truck box.

Airstreams are nice two person camper and make traveling fun but aren't nearly as practical for full-timers and commuters, in a big city.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:08 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Appreciate the Service​ Dog clarification I think many of us thought the same thing as the poster.

I believe it was the way it was written.

You said you clearly don't need it but you can't leave the dog in the car so you went ahead and qualified it and I know that is expensive.

I reread it several times and thought if he mentioned a diabetes alert dog they may have diabetes but just don't fully need the dog yet but are qualified for it.

So hard to read between the lines on the forums. I figured someone​ would ask, and the did, and now we all understand.....the rest of the story.

As far as going for it, you bet. Get the biggest one you can comfortably tow and park. It's not meant for small parks so get what you can spread out in and live your reality not everyone else's.

It sounds amazing.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

harrisburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenson748 View Post
I am new to RV'ing with airstream travel trailers, but based on my experience I would recommend the Flying cloud 30 with double bed in front and rear bunk beds. I would also recommend F250 vs F350. The F250 would be more comfortable to drive than F350 when not towing, and F 250 has plenty capacity for towing any Airstream
Thanks for your reply. We'll be at around 800lbs in the cab and 1,000lbs in the bed and planning on anywhere from 900 to 1100 for hitch and airstream tongue weight, which will put us at almost max payload on an F350.
poodlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMGLG View Post
Frankly Airstreams are not designed to do what you want to do. They are travel trailers, not live aboards for a whole family with a dog and an expectant wife. Save your money and buy a white box trailer with square corners and a lot more living area than any Airstream affords. It may sound romantic to get an Airstream and they are very pretty but for what you are thinking about using it for it's impractical. Airstreams are great for two people, but no more than that.
I had a 27' toy hauler travel trailer I pulled for almost 2 months everyday. I had so many problems on a brand new unit, and the quality was appalling. Space is not at all an issue for us. Again we were happy with the space in a truck camper considering we ate and slept in it, and did pretty much everything else outside.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I find it interesting to note the number of people who simply can't comprehend doing this. We all live different lives. We *all* make various decisions as we get through our careers. Unless you happen to be born into money, those decisions generally are compromises. Many of the things I have done over the years are not the things that others would do. I've moved between time zones a *lot* of times. Others I know still live in the town they were born in.

In this case, those involved seem to have some actual experience doing this. That's a major plus when making a decision like this. It's not a leap off a bridge and then see what's below sort of thing.

Would I do / did I do what they are talking about? Nope. I picked the "away from home and family 180 days a year" option. That's not exactly pretty either .... There are always compromises.

Bob
Thanks for your post Bob. It is true that we are not like most people, and we are ok with that. Our families and friends have always referred to us as crazy ones for wanting to full time in an rv traveling as opposed to settling down in a house, and skydiving for fun, despite it being statistically safer than driving a car, but we are ok with that. People will always be afraid and put off by things that are different from what they know. I knew going into this post I would get a lot of flack for our lifestyle when really just wanting to make an educated decision on boon docking with an airstream.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

The biggest difference in towing is clearance, even though they are approximately the same height the longer length when going into or out of any parking lot can easily cause the rear end to drag, I don't think that ever happened in the 25' and we owned it for 4+ years. Considering you've lived in a much smaller space and you will be moving in and out of parking lots daily I'd stick to the 25 or 27. \

Thank you very much for this statement. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
Good thoughtful post.

I agree with Pat. A small motorhome with slide outs would be much much better, easier, and cheaper than a new Airstream and F-350. You could easily afford a new Mini and a new Winnebago Via for the cost of a new F-350 and a 30 foot Airstream.

You would have a lot more room, more storage, could more easily up and move, have a better commute vehicle, save substantial amounts of money in fuel for commuting, and have better heating and cooling efficiency.

If you don't want to tow a Mini or smart car behind the motorhome. Your wife could always drive the Mini while you drive the motorhome or vice-versa. It gives you two vehicles while traveling long distance which is better for safety. If you are towing an Airstream with your Ford F-350 and it breaks down on the road out in the boondocks, you are stuck. No cell service, no vehicle, and you need to tow a trailer and a truck to a repair center. With a motorhome, if it breaks down, then you have the towed vehicle to drive you to a hotel or at least a safer location for your family.

Motorhomes have much more storage under the vehicle and usually have built-in generators, a boon docking must for a family in a hot climate. You will want to run your air conditioner and you can't in an Airstream unless you carry a big heavy generator in the back of your truck box.

Airstreams are nice two person camper and make traveling fun but aren't nearly as practical for full-timers and commuters, in a big city.
Great point about being broken down. I will be hauling a dual sport motorcycle in the bed though.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
Dreaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaValleyGuy View Post
And what do you plan to do with your sewage and take on water

I think you are dreaming
What an ignorant reply. They can stop in thousands of places to dump and refill fresh water. If there's a will, there's a way. My only concern is the summer heat without A/C ; being from Florida.
bobgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaValleyGuy View Post
And what do you plan to do with your sewage and take on water

I think you are dreaming
What an ignorant reply. There are thousands of places to dump and refill fresh water. My only concern is the summer heat without any A/C; being from Florida.
bobgoldstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlemaster View Post
Thanks for your reply. We'll be at around 800lbs in the cab and 1,000lbs in the bed and planning on anywhere from 900 to 1100 for hitch and airstream tongue weight, which will put us at almost max payload on an F350.
Hi

On the 2017's, the difference between the F-250 and F-350 is pretty minor. They add a bit to the springs on the 350. The practical impact on the ride is not as big as you might think. Switching to a 350 does not have the downside it once did.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I think you would like reading about a family that lived full time and traveled for about a year or so.

Do a search for BoldAdventure. They successfully did the kid,work,travel thing.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #55
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Only final point to make is that it is your choice and our opinions are just that. Since you say space is not an issue, smaller may well be better for you. That is counter intuitive, but your plan is as well. Hope to see you on the road someday. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Trailer length for fulltime boondocking

We don't full-time (mostly monthly weekend trips), but do boondock on occasion.

We just moved up from a 25' to a 30'. It is my wife and 2 kids. For us, a separate convertible bed and dinette were a must and the thing I liked least on the 25 (it was an Eddie Bauer so the sofa didn't even slide out). The livability of the 28' and 30' floor plan were therefore ideal. The more we looked at the two, we realized the 30 and 28 were basically identical but the 30' is just more stretched out.

Funny enough, the thing that kicked us over the edge to the 30' was the lack of slide out pantry. It is only ~8" wide, but we get so much use out of it we couldn't live without it.

Length and maneuverability-wise, I could almost forget that the 25' was back there because it tracked so well around corners, etc. With the 30' there hasn't been a space I haven't been able to get into, but it *is* a long trailer. And I believe it will always seem like a long trailer (unlike the 25') because, well it is a long trailer.
dmcgaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgoldstein View Post
What an ignorant reply. There are thousands of places to dump and refill fresh water. My only concern is the summer heat without any A/C; being from Florida.
Agreed. A generator is a must.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
which one to get

Having had both... I would say the smallest boat in the harbor is not big enough... for a fulltime cruse...after time... so I would go with a 30 footer... why..

Used they are cheaper... and if you think a new one is going to be a blessing.. best think again.. most new ones need LOTS of rework...and the cost is quite high...
Going with a good used one... is more economically sound... so you can with the money you save.. update and replace almost everything in the trailer... and then you have the same advantage as a new one... except that the older trailer has already gone through the pangs of getting on the road.

Their are lots of places to park in LA and out on the boondocking land... but, you might want to look at LA Co fair grounds... in the summer time they rent out the parking spaces that the horse people use for their RV etc... not a bad way to go... so looking around is the best advise one can get... staying outside LA is really not a advantage... if you take into consideration the cost of to and from...along with the time...

Also look into being a state campground host... not the most glamorous job but hey pays the rent and gives you a place to park...

When I was looking at them... I wanted a 25 footer... because I had a 31 footer back in the 70's... today the 30 footer is not considered long as most are pushing 40 footers around these days... and I never found that the 25 vs the 30 footer was much difference in towing and parking... I do know that the 30 footer is more balanced and has less hitch weight than the 25 did... and that in itself makes quite a difference...

As to parking in state or fed parks... I never had a problem with the 73... 31 footer... even though several said.. ops... too big... really... best of all just keep yourself apprised of the turning... and low branches... otherwise its just as good if not better because you have the extra room... and won't have to shower every hour if your in their with someone else...

Airstream used to promote their 30 footers as full time'ers... but like I say today... the 30 is small compaired to the giant motorhomes and 5th wheels...

The last point is sales... yep some day your going to sell the old silver bullet... and the rate from a good used one... to a new one... is something you should consider... as a 10 year old trailer from new is about 20% of what it cost new... thus a 100k in 10 years would go for about 20K... where as a used one of 20K would still be worth about 10K... go figure...

Good luck in picking your vehicle
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #59
Overkill Specialist
Commercial Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Pie in the sky. Big dreams but going to be hard to pull of in the real world
GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlemaster View Post
You are mistaken. Reread my post about service dog. The only qualification necessary to have a service dog is having one of over 50 "disabilities" and a dog trained specifically to do a specific service for that disability. Being a diabetic, I have the right to have a diabetic response dog that can recognize the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia. My dog was trained and cost us close to $2,500 for this. Many diabetics get around just fine without one, but every one of them has a right to have one according to the ADA, so get your facts straight buddy.
I know my facts and am very well versed in the ADA Laws regarding medical alert dogs. I know how much they cost and I know the amount of time it goes into training them. The way you originally worded it made it sound like you only trained it to avoid leaving it in the hot car. I apologize I didn't comprehend the way you worded it but I will not apologize for calling someone out on it. I'm glad you clarified it because I have run across a couple of RVers who did just throw a vest on a dog and call it as such. I have a personal connection to the service dog community and I know the strides they take on.
Safe travels and good luck in your trailer search.
Sarah198 is offline   Reply With Quote