Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Older Airstream Bed Mattresses... TOSS IT

We "suffered" with the 2006 23 foot Safari with the rear bed. The smaller size was not the problem. It was the mattress that was custom fitted to the outside curve of the Airstream interior and you had to be a gymnast to... get out of bed.

Costco of all places solved our problem, as I would believe today, that many mattress companies also offer: Memory Foam Mattress Topper. For the 23' Safari we bought a Queen size on sale from Costco for $100. It might be six inches thick. Being a Queen Size, it was cut down with a sharp box cutter to fit, using the original mattress as the template.

At first, we laid the memory foam on top of the original mattress. It was OK, but by removing the factory mattress, storing it for possible future need. Using the memory foam mattress, which starts out stiff when cold, eventually warms up to your body temperature and is absolutely wonderful. Firm without having the center dipped where the foot and arm sleeping war(s) begin for peaceful sharing. If there was one change to your 2006 Airstream... this is the best single tip for those of you who "understand" what I am saying about the original mattress.

When we sold the 2006, we "tossed in" the original mattress as to replace it would probably cost more than I would think. Some people like the old style mattress. There, you saved yourself $100 or more on a memory foam replacement.

The trimmings my wife fitted into a pillow. I have seasonal allergies and those to feathers and wool itching. Memory Foam... nothing. So those of you with allergies... I am the official Allergy Poster Child! No factory odor after using it awhile, after the newness is gone. Great sleeping! No rolling into the groove in the center of the old mattress. If I had one word to express our sentiment of this change... WONDERFUL.

The 2014 International has a memory foam, but not as dense. Wonderful bed! I am sure because the kind we bought at Costco is much heavier... it could not be easily used with the rear bed of the 2014. The lift up bed to access storage easily would have required a larger hydraulic system and heavier plywood to support it all. But the new bed is a great addition to the sleeping constant rolling to the center of the old mattress.

When you buy the memory foam mattress, it is compressed into a tight roll. Cut the sealed plastic wrap and it expands. Let it lay flat for a day and then cut it to shape. You can fit it tight or a bit loose and it will eventually fit the space. Good luck and Happy Sleeping in your 23 footer.

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
2006 +/- 23' Safari Rear Bed Mattress Replacement

For those of you who have had too many years of complaining about the original, fitted into the corner, mattress... here is what we used.

Novafoam 3 inch Mattress TOPPER purchased at Costco and the price is up $20. (My original post said maybe SIX INCHES THICK. Nope, 3 inches. Feels like six and you only have to pay for three...)

Full Size $120 that is cut down to fit. The original mattress is larger than a Queen ($99) and smaller than a Full Size ($120).

#861225 is the number on the topper packaging.

This is only 3 inches thick. Put onto the plywood top of the bed frame... it is firm and comfortable. I guess you could buy it, lay it onto any hard flat floor in the house and stretch out.

This is NOT the 14" tall, multiple layered mattress. I do not know if a 4" or 5" exist. It comes with a mattress cover.

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Originally Posted by John&Vicki View Post
Great post on boondocking:

Finding Magical RV Boondocking | Technomadia

Check out their app. Seems boondocking opportunities are vast!

Interesting blog. As far as an app, I find that Allastays Camp & RV has excellent functionality and information on Public Lands camping as well as all of the other categories. You can use the filter for Public Lands, then switch to satellite view to look beyond the established campgrounds for dispersed camping possibilities. Use your device cache (check their FAQ's) to capture the area of interest before venturing beyond cellphone/internet coverage.
Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I got stuck on wet grass at a rally the organizers brought in a farm tractor to haul me into my parking spot. The problem was that my TV did not come with tow hooks, so they wrapped the strap around the middle of my bumper to pull me along. The bumper back was actually all plastic and broke, and the cost of replacing it with an OEM bumper was outrageous. So I looked for something that would provide strength and tow hooks of some kind. What I found also had provision for a winch. . . so that's what I did. I've got a honking big sucker rated at 12,500 lbs. Since then I've never been in a situation that requires its use, but it's a fine form of insurance. Added bonus is that when I edge out into traffic, nobody challenges me. The bumpers (front and back) are made of 3/16" steel plate - no curves, all welded.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote