Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Last night in out town we had a little snow but didn't get to freezing until 3:30 am and by now we're already in the 40s. Tonight however, the forecast is 27 degrees overnight.

Is there a way to calculate how much battery and propane I might use setting the furnace to its lowest temp for the night? It's in a storage lot and I'm thinking of bringing the generators up to charge the batteries to full and keep them connected while getting the inside temp up to 60+. Then set the thermostat to its lowest temperature and disconnect the generators (I can't leave them running overnight in the lot).

Wide open to your thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Well, to give everyone a status -- I arrived to the RV storage yard at 8am to find a massive 40'x40x'40' cube block of solid ice sitting there with my airstream isolated in the center. All the RV dealer had to offer me to melt the ice is a cigarette lighter, about half full....

no wait, that was a dream earlier in the morning.

So I arrived at the storage yard at 8am and the inside temp was 40 degrees, as per the thermostat setting. The house battery bank reads red on the internal status panel, so I do have some concerns over the state-of-health of the batteries. I'll get them topped off again today to the best of my ability and later look at obtaining the appropriate electrical and acids meters/bulbs to validate their health.

thanks to all for helping me not worry what wasn't an issue.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
That status scared the stuffing out of me! I bit hook line and sinker! :-)

Glad it all worked out. Good luck with the batteries. I'm thinking if mine wear down, I can remove them and put them on the chargers I used over the winter.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Batteries will discharge if running the heater all night.
To charge them, if you don't have power at the storage location, remove them and take them home for an over night charge. Without power at the site anything you could do there will be a waste of time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hmm. Ok, I don't have the manual with me. Can the electrical demand of the furnace be charged without the 30 amp cord? I ask because I'm wondering if it makes more sense to bring it home, park it on the street and run a power cable from my house to the trailer with the adapter that can connect a standard home 3 prong power cord to the 30 amp inlet.

Thoughts on that approach? Thanks!!

(Edit)

Also just checked TWC and temps are expected to hit 32 or below from 3 am through 8 am (current temps in low 40s) and up to 36 by 9 am. Hate to chance it....
Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Hrmmm what I did yesterday and today (and may be idiocy in my part) is park my Tow vehicle up and plugin the adapter; allowing the engine to idle for an hour or so. For me, it seemed to work - probably not as efficient as a direct plugin or genset but this was an urgent need for me. Early next week is my first opportunity to get the 3000i genset out here and power a full charge.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hmm. Ok, I don't have the manual with me. Can the electrical demand of the furnace be charged without the 30 amp cord? I ask because I'm wondering if it makes more sense to bring it home, park it on the street and run a power cable from my house to the trailer with the adapter that can connect a standard home 3 prong power cord to the 30 amp inlet.

Thoughts on that approach? Thanks!!

(Edit)

Also just checked TWC and temps are expected to hit 32 or below from 3 am through 8 am (current temps in low 40s) and up to 36 by 9 am. Hate to chance it....
This shouldn't be an issue. The big power user is the air conditioner, followed by the water heater (assuming you have a dual fuel one), the refrigerator and microwave. I've had the trailer home in the drive when a freeze has occurred and running the furnace is no issue for a typical household outlet.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks Jack. So I'm thinking - get it home, run the 2 Hondas to top off the battery, fire up the water heater (seems once its hot, it stays hot overnight) and fire up the furnace to get it toasty in there. Then drop the thermostat, button it up and run an extension cord from the house for the overnight.

Crazy weather!!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #23
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
For short overnight freezes, blowing out the lines with an air compressor is much easier than running heaters and removing and recharging batteries. It only takes about 15-20 minutes and any residual moisture left is not significant enough to freeze and crack the pipes. If you are winterizing for the long haul, then adding a little antifreeze is cheap insurance.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Thanks Jack. So I'm thinking - get it home, run the 2 Hondas to top off the battery, fire up the water heater (seems once its hot, it stays hot overnight) and fire up the furnace to get it toasty in there. Then drop the thermostat, button it up and run an extension cord from the house for the overnight.

Crazy weather!!
Don't bother with the generators at home, unless your power is out. Just plug in the 15A extension cord, use that to let the converter charge your battery, heat the water heater up on propane and shut it off, then do the rest as you'd planned. At full bore the converter will only pull about 5A at 120V, there's no need to break out the Hondas.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Virginia Beach

Hey Ian, Does this weather just **** for Virginia or what?

It only got down to 38F here last night, but OMG the wind was blowing and just howling around the Airstream. I knew I was almost out of propane too, but the Dyson hot/cold kept it quite tolerable. The heat pump would have been on the edge of stopping at that temp.

On my way to work I counted 4 downed trees, old rotten ones for the most part, but I think I'd rather freeze a pipe or two than deal with a tree crunching the Airstream.

I've learned to love the down comforter they include with the Eddie Bauer edition.

It's warmed up to the mid 40's during the day, but tonight should be another challenge. I'm headed home to fill my tanks now.

Paula
Old 04-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
We got down to 26 or so for a few hours last night.

I had already dewinterized for SpringStream.

We have our CampLite in an unheated hangar, so yesterday afternoon we just turned on two space heaters and an oil radiator style heater to run overnight.

This morning the hangar, if not toasty, did not feel anywhere close to freezing.

Hopefully this is winter's last gasp!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
while i don't a AS currently, i do have a carpet cleaning van with not only high pressure pumps but there is an LP fired water heater with copper tubes. the only time i worry about freezing weather is when the temp is going below 22 for a bunch of hours.

This is the first year i had a freeze issue and the night time temp got to 17 in the raleigh area. did have heaters going and got a frozen water line in back door away from heat. One time when temps went to 9 and tech had heater pointed wrong direction got a freeze in waterheater we had to fix.

is you have a bird bath just take a look at the water first thing of in the morning..most of time it will not be frozen with temps in the low 30's so lets not stress over a couple hrs at 32..

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote