Old 10-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
While I am of the school of thought that you should keep it because you might "need" it, I offer the following: you can always re-install it if you (or the prospective buyer) wants it.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Think of the AC as a capability that you have not needed to use. How long will it be before the kiddo's want to see Washington DC? By removing the AC, you also remove that section of the US from your ability to 'roam'.

Although right now you are happy chasing 72 degrees, at some time a location may call that you just can't visit without Air-conditioning.

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
People who want to visit DC have not been to DC. I kid of course.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
>> The MaxxAir has a fully integrated cover that allows for operation in inclement weather yet closes flat to the roof.

I can not recommend these particular vents. Ours have failed in multiple ways multiple times. They are now out of warranty and MaxxAir will not back them up. Buyer beware.

Both gear drives stripped out within the first year. Those parts replaced under warranty. In the 2nd year both control panels have ceased working. Never got wet, just crapped out. Luckily the remote controls still work. The front one the motor totally locked up. I was able to remove the motor so we can use the manual knob to open.
That hasn't been my experience over at least five years and three different Maxxair fans. No problems and they have a very low draw on the batteries. I wouldn't live without them.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
The Fantastic Fans barely draw much power as is. We tend to suck air out way more than blow in. This creates a constant low pressure system and actually keeps things cool.

If anyone wants a good comparison write up on the two, I suggest this thread: Fantastic Fan vs MaxxFan Comparison, including amp usage - Truck Campers - Wander the West
Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I wouldn't live without them.
We obviously couldn't live without them either, but I am quite disappointed in the perceived value i got relative to the cost.

These are the ones we have:
Airxcel | Maxxair | MAXXFAN Deluxe - Manual and Remote Opening

Just to add that we are full timers so they have been in near constant use for 3+ years.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The Fantastic Fans barely draw much power as is. We tend to suck air out way more than blow in. This creates a constant low pressure system and actually keeps things cool.

If anyone wants a good comparison write up on the two, I suggest this thread: Fantastic Fan vs MaxxFan Comparison, including amp usage - Truck Campers - Wander the West
That is odd the difference between the two is so much. I wonder what the airflow difference is.

Those figures match up to what we are using MaxxAir wise. On a hot day with both fans at or near full blast they use 10amps. The temp inside the Airstream can still reach upper 90's.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Don't use the a/c in our Interstate very often, but we definitely need it when we need it.

There's been times we've been plugged in at a campground, and wanting to go out for a bike ride, hike, etc., on a hot day, we've run the a/c for the dogs. Otherwise, wouldn't have been able to leave them.

Once in a while too, on a hot day, we'll run the generator to run the a/c for the dogs while we go get lunch.

I don't think I'd buy a trailer or moho without a/c.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
So to expand on why a fan right there, part of it is as Doug mentioned, if we never use it, we'd like to see it go. So this fan would be right between the refrigerator and the stove in our unit. Seemed like a natural place to put an additional fan considering the wonderful reliability of that oven hood vent.

Other thoughts, another Maxim skylight But to circle back, the fan seems more usable. But would it actually add anything to overall comfort for moving air?

Should note, we have 1 of the 12v Fantastic box fans. It's been a great addition.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #24
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Even in the kitchen I'm not sure I see the value of a third fan. It would be one thing if the AC broke and you didn't replace it. But if it's working fine I say leave it.

You don't need it now because you have the luxury of moving to nice weather. But what if that changes? You never know what life will throw at you.

Not to wish this on anyone, but we intended to take a 2 week vacation last summer. Last in mind was a trip to Arkansas and 100+ degree weather. But a family member suffered a stroke which necessitated a visit. We are not big AC users at all but on that trip we were glad we had it.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Your trailer is yours. Don't try to make it nice for the next guy. You need to enjoy it your way, don't worry about others. You full time, if it's too hot, just move. Many of us worry too much about what others think. Only worry about you want to do. You seem to be self reliant, so remove the ac and put in another fan. Just store the ac if you can so it could be reinstalled if you wish or your needs change. Good luck on your decision, that damn ac is so noisy anyway.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I guess I do not see the real benefits of removing it and opposed to it just riding along.

As I understand, you are without a fixed base, so you will just have to dispose of it. I guess I do not see enough benefit of the 3rd fan and a little more room for solar against having the AC up there. Would the 75 lbs of weight or so removed from the roof help you a lot?

We do not use the AC a lot, but we were glad for it sometimes when we did use it. We go on a lot of the WBCCI caravans and thus often do not have a real choice to move somewhere else.

I also do not have the companion gen. and now know that I won't be getting it. We did leave one site in Roosevelt National Park in July because of the heat to find a hookup for the AC.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstreams have been around 80 years. Anyone know when the factory built them with the first air conditioners on top, as an option?

Edit: Reading Punch's post about the shouters, I just deleted my followup question. I was hoping for discussion.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #28
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
This thread is probably just about to go ballistic. I can feel the shouters just girding up their loins ready to move in and start hollerin'!

I say good for you and your idea. If you don't care about the resale, go for it. I have considered it myself, even for a motorhome, but for a trailer it makes even more sense. And stick with the Fantastic Fans, since you already have two. The Maxxairs are more expensive and don't seem to do anything any better. Just make sure your FF has the auto-rain shutoff. I love ours.