Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Yup, that's what I'm talking about.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
At a dump station one time an SOB left his steps down and caught them on a bollard. I yelled and he stopped, but they were bent pretty good. He was upset and didn't know what to do. I said if it was me, I'd put it in reverse and very carefully back up. This put the same force in the exact opposite direction. He backed up until I hollered again. The steps were 90% good. He was happy, I continued dumping.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Bold,
When we were growing up with a small pop-up tent trailer, our "step" was a real wooden Coke crate, with an astroturf door mat attached. Worked great.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
As we also boondock most of the time, this was the first thing I stared at and imagined the many ways this would get ripped off. I have lost leveling jacks in an SOB in the past in Sequoia NF. I may just remove mine as well. Or wait for it to remove itself..
Old 03-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #19
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Ouch! That's a big boo-boo. Fortunately, the steps can be replaced or removed.

There is another thread about retrofitting another brand of steps to an Airstream. You may have seen it. Take a look at the post(s) from Steamy1. Their steps look pretty solid and tuck up better than the Airstream steel steps.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f475...ps-141899.html

I've often wondered why Airstream uses the steel steps. Why not use the fold-up steps offered on the Classic on all trailers. I suspect if all the costs of the Classic steps and the steel steps were considered - cost of ordering both, stocking both, vendor issues with both, etc - that the Classic steps could be installed on every Airstream for not much more money than the steel steps.

Has anyone retro-fitted Classic steps onto another model? Might be worth a try. The Classic steps tuck up nicely, flush with the belly pan.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The "classic" aluminum step used to be used on all Airstreams, and a steel version of it on the Argosy. I have had them both. Quite frankly, the current steel steps look ugly, but are a much better step from the stability and wear standpoint.

The complicated folding up into the banana wrap aluminum one sure has always looked good, but the wear on the special outriggers it uses, plus the rust issues the outriggers have, combined with the complex mechanism itself is just not all that great. After a few years they get sloppy, often the bottom step develops an angle pitch different from the upper one, and sometimes they give way under the weight of a person if they are not deployed just right.

Good looking, yes, good step, not especially. The inexpensive steel step used now on all but the classic 30' is ugly, but stable, and cheap to replace if damaged or worn.

Of course this is my opinion, yours may be different.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #21
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I don't want to take BoldAventure's thread on too much of a tangent but do have some comments about the step on the Classic.

I agree the Classic step is not perfect and can be problematic. The wear issue and stability when the second step is unfolded are both concerns. We addressed the wear and stability by using a removable strut on the bottom (second) step to transfer much of the load back to the trailer frame. This makes the second step much more stable and our steps shows no signs of wear. The strut is a loose piece of rod (welded conduit) and stores in the outside compartment under the bed. So far so good.

A steel version of the Classic step may be just the ticket! I didn't realize Argosy's had them at some point. Maybe there's a business opportunity for some fabricating/restoration shop - make the Classic step even better!

Be sure to take a look at the thread I referenced above. The SOB aluminum folding step is very stable and I think it tucks up quite well into the cavity under the trailer. I think Steamy1 can address issues of how to mount the step on an Airstream.

on edit: Looks like I might be wrong about the Lippert SOB step and how well it tucks under the trailer when folded up. It may hang down below the belly pan as much as the folding steel Airstream step. Back to the Classic step with a support rod or the steel version of the Classic step.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
A steel version of the Classic step may be just the ticket! I didn't realize Argosy's had them at some point. Maybe there's a business opportunity for some fabricating/restoration shop - make the Classic step even better!
My '74 Argosy 20' has a steel version of the Classic step which folds up into the banana wrap. It is no better than the Aluminum versions that I have had on other Airstreams. The wear area where is slides in the outrigger and the rust issues of the outriggers are still an issue. The steel wear points seem to be the same as the Aluminum version. The special recessed allen head screws holding things together are still difficult to obtain. And the bottom step still wants to tilt down when worn. So, it is not the metal, steel vs. aluminum which I see as the problem, it is just a complex step assembly which once worn, is hard to repair or replace.

But it does look very good when up, or down.