Old 07-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Have had our 22' for 8 years now with a lot of boondocking. It has larger capacity tanks and the Canadian spec running gear. Clearance is the same as our TV. Suits us fine and we don't plan on changing any time soon. Here's a picture of us in the Gunnison Nat'l Forest above 10,000' 56 miles from a paved road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP1240 copy.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	242073  

Old 07-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Ahab that looks like a lovely and welcoming campsite. Looks like you night have a small privy/shower shelter tent. Enjoy

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

On the other hand

A 34 footer might be the best for " dry camping ".

A 19 footer might be best for " wilderness camping " ( rock docking???)

But for THE ULTIMATE BOONDOCKING MACHINE…the length of time that you could stay out should me a major focus.

Just big enough enough to have room for solar, extra batts, large tanks, maybe a water purification system for lake, river, and rain water.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Long Range Matches & Boondocking

I've travelled across America (GA, OK, TX, KY, & IN) this year attending long range black powder matches with my 19' FC. I must say this is a well designed/well built trailer that also appears to be tough enough to handle questionable range approach roads. (If you've ever attended a long-range match you'll know what I'm talking about - these guys never ran out of crushed rock).
I've set mine up with a portable 100 watt solar charger (complete with controller) and my only 'wish' is for larger tank capacities. Interior is just fine for 2, fridge capacity is often supported by the Yeti cooler for liquid refreshments, and I have the full stove enabling a variety of cooking options. My only real concern is with the dump outlets as I've often thought they are a little low and may be susceptible to an outcropped rock!
As others have mentioned, approach is slow and steady. So far, so good - on to Alma, MI next week! Here's a pic of our set-up in Ashland, KY last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beastie-in-Kentucky.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	242081  
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
[QUOTE=LongShot;1645642].....
I've set mine up with a portable 100 watt solar charger (complete with controller) and my only 'wish' is for larger tank capacities. Interior is just fine for 2, fridge capacity is often supported by the Yeti cooler for liquid refreshments, and I have the full stove enabling a variety of cooking options. My only real concern is with the dump outlets as I've often thought they are a little low and may be susceptible to an outcropped rock!

Long Shot... I keep my FFFG dry for my 38 Kentucky flintlock rifle and 45 cal. cap and ball Hawkins.

You do not realize how perfect your selection of a Trailer has been.

You get to break in your 19 footer and learn how to be frugal with water use, refrigerator stocking, storage space utility, fresh - grey - black water tank options and so on. By the time you are ready to get yourself a 23 foot or 25 foot, you will put those Boondockers to shame that started with all they could carry in a larger trailer for a first!

The solar panel has spoiled you already!

You will not know what to do with the excess space and load carrying capacity of a double axle Airstream.

All of the exposed plumbing dump valves are always a potential source of trouble if you are not careful. Those that are located in front of the axle(s) are more protected and forgiving when pulling off of a gasoline station's curb with a steep drop... and possible "drag your plumbing, hitch or bumper". Once you master the 19, it will sell used quickly when you are studying the 23 or 25 for a perfect match for your needs.

Our 25 foot has all of the capacity we will ever need and probably more. This will be our last Airstream purchase and we always look forward to make use of all the extra living space for years to come. The difference between a 23 and a 25 are more than you could imagine.

Carrying fresh water in the back of the tow vehicle gives you water for showering, if you manage the showers in the 1.5 to 2.0 gallon range. We shower only if we are heading back into civilization and the fresh water tank needs to be emptied to reduce weight. You can get a Walmart shower tent in their camping section to avoid having to dump grey water from the trailer.

Black water... use the local facilities. Your butt is no cleaner than mine or you can wipe down the lid at the Johnny on the Spot. Nobody I have known has ever contracted a disease or skin problem from public restrooms. Although, some service station restroom facilities might not be close to what you would have at home!

Ice is a luxury while camping in the Summer! I will pay more for the solid ice cubes as they last longer, or the large "clear" ice block and knock chunks off when needed. Our freezer in the 25 footer will fit a generous number of the "ice cubes" in a plastic bag using any room we have. I will make use of the available space when we get off the grid and put the ice cube trays to use when camped.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Yes Ray, "Ice is a luxury while camping in the Summer!". I am truly amazed that the little freezer in my 19FC will keep ice (and food) frozen using propane. I've also found that the more you put in the freezer (and fridge), the more efficient the unit is. Marvels of modern day camping! Now if I could just figure a way to collect, filter and add rain water to my fresh water tank I'd be all set. Oh well, I suppose an Eddie Bauer may be in my future in a few years (or similar model as I really like the idea of the rear hatch). Safe travels!
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:52 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We do just fine for the two of us boondocking with our vintage Bambi. If we are careful and bring extra drinking water (usually a flat or two of bottled water) we can easily stay out for a week before we have to find a sewer dump site and clean drinking water for our holding tank. Naturally it is either sponge baths or large baby wipes (bath size) or super "navy" type showers. One has to be very careful and recycle any water possible. But, by that time it is usually time to find a grocery store and replenish the fresh food, ice, and adult beverages.

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
[QUOTE=Ray Eklund;1645721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongShot View Post
Black water... use the local facilities. Your butt is no cleaner than mine or you can wipe down the lid at the Johnny on the Spot. Nobody I have known has ever contracted a disease or skin problem from public restrooms. Although, some service station restroom facilities might not be close to what you would have at home!
Gross. Most US public rest rooms are disgusting. There are so many nasty people out there.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Bring along a pack of Lysol wipes and deal with the "disgusting" A full black tank and nowhere to dump it is "disgusting" too.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Longshot, Put a bucket where the awning drains off and collect the rain. You can use it for wash water and save on the potable.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Bring along a pack of Lysol wipes and deal with the "disgusting" A full black tank and nowhere to dump it is "disgusting" too.
If you are truly boondocking, nature is one large rest room.

As for public rest rooms, it's not just the toilet seat. It's also usually decrepit and run down stalls, filthy floors, no soap in dirty sinks, listening to other people defecate. No thanks.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
We have been having a love affair with our 2006 20 foot single axle Safari. We have towed it well over 50k miles, boondocking from coast to coast, up to two months at a time. We find the kitchen layout to be the best of all and there is an abundance of storage. Upgrades we have made include led lights and 16 inch LT tires. Solar will be our next upgrade. We don't hesitate to take it any place that we can get into as long as we don't drag the plumbing. We always travel with extra water jugs in the truck . We also keep an Engle 12 volt refrigerator/freezer in the truck to keep drinks and snacks cold. We feel that the 20 ft Safari (now FC) to be an excellent choice for rockdocking.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, then.....there is always the Interstate.

Fully self contained, go anywhere and everything you need is right there.

163,000+ miles, 8+ years. and have now camped in all of the lower 48 states.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Just had an idea for rock docking

How about a backup camera mounted under the trailer?