Old 03-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
I concur with most of the folks. At minimum carry some water. I always carry at least a gallon or two of water in water containers in addition to our holding tank. That way if we run low or something, I can always make coffee. In the winter when we travel we often do not fill the water tank to avoid freezing issues...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by overlander63
The reduced fuel mileage is minimal, added to the chance of picking up foreign bugs in the local water if you drink it. Also, the trailer will tow better with a full tank of water, the partly full tank will slosh around and contribute to sway.
MT tank will not slosh either, but the couple hundred pounds extra at or below floor level will also help lower the center of gravity.
Hi, you took the words right out of my mouth; That is almost exactly what I do except we use bottled water for coffee and cooking. We use the fresh water for washing people, dishes, dogs, and for the toilet of coarse.
And as Paula said, you may find yourself in the middle of nowhere needing to wash your hands or having to use that flushing machine.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Thanks to all!

My husband was thrilled with the advice to carry water. He had been inclined to...I was the one worried about weight.

We do carry water for drinking and coffee. I freeze it into half gallon jugs and use it to pre-chill the freezer/fridge when we are preparing to travel.
Airstream OCD...there is no cure!
1983 Classic 310 Motorhome.
AIR 15765

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Here is my thought, "Two years before the mast" and not a drop to drink. You can run our of gas and survive nicely. Without water is not so good, here is an example, having a flat tire in the middle of, nowhere, hot, stuck for hours, no power, and no water. I don’t think so. As a retired person the gas prices are painful. I choose to burn a little more gas and know a cool drink is right around the corner.
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
If you are going somewhere with a park office they have an outdoor spigot on the building usually ,that we have used for winter water, when the water is turned off elsewhere. Lately we have been filling up and traveling with water, and it tows nicer, on the way home from Florida in January, I emptied it in Ohio, and it felt squirrelly to me, with all the tanks empty, or it may have been the wind, or the combination of the two. At the very least, we travel with 1/4 to 1/2 for water on the road. We can shower if we stop overnight at a rest stop and wash up a few dishes. We have had times we got so excited to get to our site, we forgot we had no water, and had to carry it over, after setting up. Then sometimes there is just an unforeseeable change of plans along the way. Before I could calculate the fuel loss through weight of water, I would need to concentrate on my acceleration and speed, and I have not been disciplined enough to do that yet. I start off with the best intentions and even hold to it rigidly for a while, but sooner or later, somewhere down the road, I just start driving for pleasure.

Nice tip on prechilling the fridge and freezer Auretrvr.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I run with a full tank of water whenever I hit the road. The trailer weights around 8000 lbs the water just over 360. The weight is minimal. THe convience is very nice. I can run across the country in about four day. I do not have to find a campground unless I want one.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote