Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The... Perfect Cooler

By price, the Yeti 65. $300 Costco mail order to $400 at outdoor retail outlets ($265 on... Sale, where?)

Feedback by Tent Campers and Trailer Owners:

Iglo
RTIC 45
Pelican
Magellan
Coleman Extreme
Iglo Polar
Cabelas
Ozark Trail
Otterbox

I have an Igloo Wheelie Cool that works for grocery shopping and to home for keeping frozen and perishables... temporarily safe. For Off the Grid... block ice works for short periods if removed to a shady spot under a tree.

The best feedback is from those who learned... the hard way. By using various coolers and finding a Price to Value of maintaining perishables and items to maintain temperatures, below outside air temperature for a longer period of time.

Then the question of Dry Ice, cubed, Crystal Clear Block Ice, etc...

Some recommend a smaller cooler within a larger cooler, as well.

Please... I am old. Time is short. I haven't years to test various coolers by trial and error.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Here’s someone who did the research.

https://youtu.be/zu-V0ZqfYHg
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
Ray,

I have a couple of Techni Ice coolers (47 quart and 74 quart) that I really like.
https://www.techniiceusa.com

They tested very well when compared to other coolers. http://www.coolersonsale.com

Cheers,
Bryan
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
St Petersburg , FL
Coolers

Yeti's IMO are grossly overrated. Most should do the job if you are not constantly opening and closing them. I use an Igloo Maxcold and I always freeze a 1 gallon jug of water and put it in the main cooler (and also one in the fridge initially to speed the cooling process)and use a smaller satellite cooler if it's going to be a beer drinking kind of night.
Al Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I bought a Yeti 45 a couple years ago. I chose the 45 because it fits behind the front seats in the Crew Cab the long way, leaving more space for the dog bed.
The cooler performs well. I like it. Best cooler I’ve ever had.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I just can’t get past the Coleman/Igloo brands. Still made in the USA, still do the job for my needs, and I never worry about them being stolen.

That’s coming from a guy where money is no object if it means the best, long term solution.

I know for sure if I buy a roto-moulded cooler ... it’s mostly (not all) due to the cool factor.

One thing is for sure, if you want to be cool, buy a Yeti. That can’t be argued.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
For many years of road tripping I did the daily ice stop to fill various brands of small coolers.

That said, for our roadtrip last summer (the first since having kids) I purchased a Yeti 35. I forgot to change the ice out before parking the car in a hot, open sun lot while the kids and I spent three days carless on Mackinac Island. When I returned to the car there was a little bit of water at the bottom of the cooler and the rest was ice. I was fully prepared to toss all of our food (not much—that’s why I like smaller coolers) but was pleasantly surprised and totally amazed.

My previous experience with anything more than an insulated bag was about 15 years ago. I assume all brands have come a long way since. But I couldn’t believe how well the Yeti worked for us this past summer. I have an aftermarket padded cushion for it too so it did double duty as a camp stool.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Are Yeti coolers still made overseas?

Pelican coolers are made in the USA, and also get good reviews:

https://www.pelicancoolers.com/colle...-color-coolers

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...elican+coolers

Users report that the Pelican positive latching system is easier to use than the Yeti rubber "shock cord" style latching system.

Stay cool!

PS -- Plenty of helpful comments in these earlier cooler threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cool...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
I was on the hunt for a quality cooler earlier this year, and ended up buying a Cordova 50 qt. They are made right here in Idaho, and are comparable to a Yeti, etc. Sportsman's Warehouse now carries them, as does Amazon. It has worked well in the short time I've had it. I may get a 100 qt next year.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
SteveSueMac Post #2... worth visiting the coolersonsale.com site.

Add:

Engel
Canyon
Siberian
Orca

These and the Pelican coolers were rated highly in their test. With the information watching the comparison of a number of Coolers on the market, and no doubt others to follow, I will be comparing prices.

For TENT Camper use... there is a need for a more efficient cooler when Off the Grid and staying in one location for three or more days. I will be interested in using BLOCK ICE and add solid cubes when needed to top a cooler off.

For Airstream owners... not as much with the larger capacity refrigerators in the 25 foot and longer models.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
2019 27' International
Cheyenne , Wyoming
I have had good luck with the Cabela's Polar Cap 80qt.

My son was moving and unloaded a freezer into the cooler that had been setting in a hot shop in Iowa in June. I was afraid the warm cooler would thaw the food. When we got back to the motel in Omaha, I put some ice in several quart bags and set it in the cooler. The cooler stayed in the back of the Suburban that afternoon, overnight, and all day on the trip home. When I unloaded the cooler into our freezer, the motel ice had not even melted.

I have since purchased one for me.
Wyo Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
https://www.lifetime.com/lifetime-90...ormance-cooler

20# block lasted longer than cubes. When in the Airstream ice lasted a week. We happened to “utilize “ some cubes for cooling of other beverages.

P. S. Had about 12 bottles standing ... maybe a few less

Also
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-...0820/850043843
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So what did you get?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Tent to Airstream... to Tent 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
So what did you get?
It will take more effort to find a Cooler, than finding an Airstream!

We have until April 2019 to put our Tent Camping together. Our tent, sleeping bags, air mattress... we already have from years past.

An exterior 'Fly' over the tent, supports, ropes and poles to shield the tent from sun and weather is needed, as the previous canvas is long gone. Lighter materials are available today.

Checking out the size and variety of cooler options for our typical Off the Grid camping preferences, needing four to six days of provisions.

It will be very unlikely to see many of the over 12 or more coolers that will work for us. If we can compare three to five coolers in the Las Vegas metro area, and look over these available on the Internet... it will be an easy decision.

Since Tent Camping to us is second nature, it will be easy to select what will fit our needs. When it is done, I will be happy to pass on what we learned in the process. It need not be 'perfect', but one that is durable and well built.

Where something is made is not a factor in our decision. Much like your Airstream. USA made on the exterior, with Foreign parts filling it.

Price and function is important. Much like a a hat. It must fit, be practical and durable.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We ditched our ice coolers and decided on a Dometic CFX 28, 12v/120v cooler/freezer. We store our beverages in it. Pulls about 4.5a when the compressor runs. Never have buy ice again.

Kelvin
Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I pur. coleman stainless cooler [expensive] advertised keeps ice 3 days, no way 10 lb. bag ice melted less than 2 days inside AS, out side 1 day, waste of money.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is this the cooler you got, featherbedder?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K6W6JO/ref=emc_b_5_t

In the fine print, it says only that the "color" and "exterior hardware" are stainless. For that price, it seems doubtful that the exterior and lid are actually non-rusting stainless steel formed to all those complex curves IMO. Does a magnet stick to the main surfaces of the cooler?

Similar for this Igloo cooler:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-ste...1RTKW5DSWTR8Y3

. . . where the fine print says "Premium stainless steel hinges, latch and hardware for maximum durability."
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Our Poor Man's Airstream Living in the Wild USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We ditched our ice coolers and decided on a Dometic CFX 28, 12v/120v cooler/freezer. We store our beverages in it. Pulls about 4.5a when the compressor runs. Never have buy ice again.

Kelvin

Kelvin.... I am the guy who picks up loose change in parking lots. Albertsons, Boulder City... a quarter and dime in the parking lot and a cent on the floor at the checkout counter!!!

Nancy can make sales people cry when they give us the sales pitch and we have the numbers off the internet to work with.

I liked the Airstream as it is compact and simple.

Much like our tents, it is the Outer Surface area that makes it a home. The amenities within may be Spartan in our tent... but we use it to sleep and not needing a flush toilet and shower to stay 'fresh' in the Wilderness.

Our Tent Fly over the Igloo shaped tent provides the extra space for a folding six foot table, propane grill on the outside of the fly to vent, coffee water heater, sitting arrangements and lots of fresh air without windows to clean, Fantastic Fans and batteries to be concerned with.

Pull out the comfortable folding chairs, folding plastic stand for our beverages, and we are at peace with the birds and biting insects, once again. Armed with two nice fly swatters from the Wyoming Territorial Prison tour during the 2016 Wyoming Adventure.

Yes. We do keep score on Fly Kills, but mosquitos... a bit more difficult to find them and hang them from a string to keep the count...honest.

The only thing missing... is... a reliable and well built... cooler. Much cheaper than a Dometic Refrigerator, but in the Winter months... keeps the ice solid until late March in the High County. We like to plan... way ahead.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I should add, so not to create any confusion.

The weight of my Tent Camping Supplies to replace our 25 foot Airstream Tent on Wheels, will weigh less than our Equalizer Hitch, 1000# bars and tools needed to do any emergency repairs while towing.

The food in the Airstream's pantry is reduced. Clothing volume is reduced. Water hauling weight is reduced. What fit into the Dometic refrigerator to be put into a cooler, is reduced. Although we are fully prepared for Medical Emergencies with Unifreck's 2016 Wyoming Adventure Medical Clinic in a Bag.

As anyone understands... the more room you have... Murphy's Law States, "You will make use of it." Well, it may not have been said by Mr. Murphy, himself, but you get the idea.

When we top off the fuel before going back into the unknown, we try to have a Last Restaurant Meal... and when coming out of the unknown... a First Restaurant Meal once out.

This is all financed by the savings of... the list... of expenses of ownership of our Aluminum Tent on Wheels. We may appear different people, but will talk about all of those wonderful trips residing in our Tiny Home... but those days ended when it was towed away by the new owner.

The only thing I can think of not reduced in volume... our two Blue Heelers. They will not know the difference.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Ray-
How do you keep the batteries charged on your electric (zapper) fly/mosquito swatter?
I know you use the little darlings for fly fishing if they haven’t fried too long.
Keep up the stories during the winter—
PLEASE. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote