Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The perfect Baja boondocking spot

Ok, so I am sitting here with my coffee this morning doing some blue sky dreaming and here is my question. What is the perfect boondocking spot in the Baja? Of course, there are a couple other requirements. The spot should be the best one availble in December, located on the beach, and dirt cheap or better yet free. Extra points for pictures

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
I wouldn't venture south of the border untill the violence stops, maybe years!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty3TW4US View Post
I wouldn't venture south of the border untill the violence stops, maybe years!
I was under the understanding that the violence problem was on the mainland and that the Baja was reasonably safe once away from the border. Is this not the case?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Uwe likes to camp on the beach on the Sea of Cortez side of the Baja not terribly far south of the border. Search for his threads.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

You might want to check out the Tioga George blog. He's on the mainland now but boondocked in Baja for a couple of years about 2 years ago.

Also, alot of people seem to recommend the Church's guide. The Baja Nomad site is a pretty good place to get a feel for the security situation past the border area.

Good luck!
argy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The frugal Boondocker

I am curious to hear from those who travel Baja and know, what is the cheapest a guy could get by on while traveling. I eat pretty cheap (how much of your own food can you import?) so I guess the big items would be camping and seeing the sights. What are the cheap camping options and in general are things still cheaper in Mexico or is that a long past reality?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
According to my local intel, the east coast of Baja is safe, no traces of violence other then the usual occasional break-ins and drug/alcohol related crimes, much as we have them in Anytown USA.
I can't speak for the West Coast of Baja, I very rarely go there.
As far as cost, it depends on what you are looking for. I would budget $ 15.00 a night for stays, this way you can get a few free spots, and then perhaps splurge and stay in a hookup camp along the way.
Be aware that the road from San Felipe south towards Bajia de los Angeles is Brutal.I would not tow a trailer on "hwy5" past Puertecitos.
Which means you are more or less forced to traverse hwy 1 down the west coast until it snakes due east and hits the Sea of Cortez. Unless of course you want to hang out near San Felipe, or as far as Puertecitos the entire time. Which is what I would do...
Check out Welcome to the official town web site and information center for San Felipe,Baja California, Mexico - "No Bad Days"
As far as the perfect boondocking spot....they're all perfect, along the east cost of Baja.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Ok, so I am sitting here with my coffee this morning doing some blue sky dreaming and here is my question. What is the perfect boondocking spot in the Baja? Of course, there are a couple other requirements. The spot should be the best one availble in December, located on the beach, and dirt cheap or better yet free. Extra points for pictures
Some of us are planning to go down the Baja for some whale watching and possible fishing on Jan.5. Interested?
Attached Images

Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Be aware, one of the biggest costs of traveling in Mexico with an RV is insurance. Last time we travelled there, we drove from Prosidio, Tx to Creel near the Copper Canyon. Insurance ran about $17 per day. Camping at safe campgrounds was another $30 per day. Roads were horrible, some requiring speeds of less than 5 mph. Our house cat travelling companion got motion sick for the first time on the road into Chihuahua City because of the rough roads. That trip cured us of wanting to travel in Mexico. Too many places in the US to visit to want to go thru that again.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
I am curious to hear from those who travel Baja and know, what is the cheapest a guy could get by on while traveling. I eat pretty cheap (how much of your own food can you import?) so I guess the big items would be camping and seeing the sights. What are the cheap camping options and in general are things still cheaper in Mexico or is that a long past reality?
Generally it can be cheaper than here, depends where you are. Tourist areas
(La Paz) are more expensive. No need to import food. Gas is going for US $2.20. plenty of dry camping available for $5-15. Half day whale watching at Scammons Bay is $45.

See:

BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Be aware, one of the biggest costs of traveling in Mexico with an RV is insurance. Last time we travelled there, we drove from Prosidio, Tx to Creel near the Copper Canyon. Insurance ran about $17 per day. ........
That is discouraging. If insurance is that high, then insurance cost will be a deal breaker.

On edit: It looks like I can get a six month liability policy for under $150. Am I missing something here? I know I am not insuring a $50K truck and $80K trailer for replacement- is that where the difference is?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Not sure? We purchased insurance at the border and it cost us about $150 for a week or so but we got liability and collision if I remember correctly. It's been about 7 years so my memory may not be spot on. I know the short time period was one of the up costs. Seems like it was $150 for a week or 10 days, and about $450 for 6 months. I suggest you contact a company which has been providing this insurance for some time and get up to date info. I know than none of our US insurance counted in Mexico.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Check out Discover Baja for insurance...I've used them many times for Baja travel - they're in San Diego and have been in business for many years - you can do it on line, and they'll send your policy back via email...

Discover Baja Travel Club :: The Leader in Baja Travel

There are endless places to Boondock in Baja - we like the Bahia Conception, south of the village of Mulege, on the Cortez de Mar side (east) of Baja...it's about 550 miles below the border - and it's better to travel only during daylight hours, as the open range cattle tend to gather along the warm asphalt highway at night - meeting one at speed can ruin your whole trip...

Don't forget to leave your Drugs (illegal) and Guns at home when you cross the border into Mexico - they'll confiscate your vehicles if they find that kind of stuff in your possession, and you'll get invited to spend some time incarcerated behind some big, high walls with 'Jose' or "Juan' to keep you company!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Baja Insurance

we have found Mexican insurance to be very good. On one trip with a rented motor home a drunken driver came through a fence into the campground and destroyed the back of the motor home and put my wife in the hospital. The insurance paid everything, no problem.
Another trip our van was parked in a campground when a hurricane came through. The blowing sand wiped out the paint, chrome and glass on the front of the van. Paid all, no problem.

On our many dune buggy trips in both mainland Mexico and Baja, we bought insurance at the border from Sanborn. We would tell them our intended route, and they would make up a nice booklet, much like the "Alaska Milepost", showing all of the roads, side roads, distances and what was located along the way. Don't know if Sanborn still does that, but it sure was nice. At that time, the rates were set by the government, so the companies gave "perks" like that booklet to draw business. That was twenty years ago. Don't know if it is still the same.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Some choices for low cost camping on the Baja are Conception Bay south of Mulege and Los Bariles and La Ventana south of La Paz. I have heard good things about Los Angeles Bay on a side road south of Ensenada but have never been there.
Interesting desert camping is at Catavina.
Campgrounds are described in the Church's guide, a must for any Mexican traveler.
I live in Mexico nine months of the year and have r.ved in every Mexican state but two.
You can take all the food into Mexico you want duty free. Liquor is supposed to be one bottle per person but I have had no problems as long as the the amount is reasonable, under ten bottles. Same answer as far as fishing equipment and other sporting goods, clothing, laptops and anything that looks like it belongs in your r.v. including flat screen t.v.'s and sound systems. I have had no problems with my Honda generator. The idea is to get the money spending tourist into Mexico so the Auduana (customs) are reasonable and courteous.
I don't free camp in Mexico. There is very little public land. I camp in campgrounds or where other r.v.'s are parked. If there are r.v.'s parked somewhere, most always there will be some kind of charge. Generally, campground costs are less than in the U.S. but services are usually less.
Roads are rougher and narrower than in the U.S. but have towed my 25 foot safari thousands of miles without damage.
Collision and liability provisions of U.S. insurance are no good in Mexico so Mexican insurance is a must.
I don't fear for my safety in Mexico and have never been the victim of any crime other than petty gas station fraud. There is little road rage in Mexico, it is a different culture. Private handguns are illegal so your chance of getting held up by a punk with a pistol is less than the U.S.
I don't think you save much money by traveling in Mexico. You can park at Quartzite for almost free. You have to go there because you like it and want a new experience or a new adventure and like the food, the culture and the people.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote