Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #41
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Many years ago our dig had a pack with punches ion each side. When she tried to go through two trees or other things close to together, she'd get stuck since she took quite a while to realize she was wider.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
I've spent many, many nites in tents. Some in the backcountry and some in car-camping campsites. I love sleeping in a tent, but these days, not so much of the annoyance of being in a tent for middle of the night needs.

But, that annoyance becomes part of the routine, accepted, and adapted to.

But, what I'm increasingly not adapting to is the extra issue of being in a tent in grizzly bear country. I lived near Glacier National Park for five (5) years and spent many, many nites in the backcountry or remote campgrounds where grizzly bears were a fact, not just a hypothetical. For anyone who's ever been close to a wild grizzly bear (and for me, "close" is 50 yards) or watched a grizzly bear run up a steep incline with the ease of a gazelle, they are not to be messed with. They can do whatever they want, and there's not much you can do about it.

I'm less and less interested in having to worry about an adolescent male grizzly coming into my camp in the middle of the night with me having nothing between me and him other than my tent fabric. But, I don't want to forego my love of camping in grizzly country. So, our search is on for our first ever RV and it will likely be an AS.

Living in Oregon, grizzlies aren't an issue. But, our travels include trips to MT, WY, ID and Canada where grizzlies are a reality. So, we are indeed greatly looking forward to pulling our hard-sided "tent" behind us.

Cheers,

Bryan
Portland, OR
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Even a raccoon that's rummaging for lunch / dinner can make an absolute mess of things while you are out and about. Even if you surprise him, it's not life or death (so on a very different scale than a bear). That said, you now have a shredded tent and a lot of picking up to do. There's also the inevitable conversation about "did you leave any food out?". I'm not quite sure which part is worse ....

Why did this pop into mind? The wife still is obsessive about putting all the food away, even in the AS. It came up a couple of days ago. It's been a *long* time since we've had any problems with critters ..... Some memories stick with you.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Long ago when I was a tenting novice I did things that I learned were stupid. Food in the tent, a fire too close to the tent with the evening wind blowing down a canyon sending sparks toward the tent, not bringing warm enough clothes in July for camping in the Colorado mountains, not being careful about the water in creeks, are just a few. I did wonder what those scratch marks were in the tree bark at the campsite. I survived.

A friend went camping in the Boundary Waters about 25 years ago. His new wife (now long gone) woke him up repeatedly to tell him she heard a wild animal. He told her she was imagining it, but finally went outside to calm her down. There was a bear feasting on toothpaste, shampoo and other unlikely "foods". My friend is pretty big, though not quite as big as a well fed black bear, yelled, then threw things. The bear didn't care until I guess he ate enough and left. A sleepless night and getting up very early, they packed up the canoe and started to the next stop on the trip. They noticed the bear swimming along, apparently wanting lunch. The next portage was very nervous, and back in the water, somewhat behind was the bear. Paddling seriously, they finally went so far the bear lost interest. The rest of the trip was somewhat disturbed.

The next year they went camping in Colorado's Poudre Canyon. Guess what? A bear. Another trip some time later and once again, a bear. I told my friend he had a scent which attracts bears in rut off season, but he didn't want to believe it. Apparently as he matured, bears were no longer interested or he washed better. Maybe he changed shampoos, though I never heard of anyone bringing shampoo on a camping trip. At least the former wife is long gone—I tried talk him out of that marriage, but it didn't work (does anyone ever listen?). He is doing better with women now and still goes camping.

People do stupid things all the time and most often get away with it. That makes them overconfident, then there is the time they don't get away with it. By the time I got smarter about camping, my knee wouldn't let me backpack and I kept the bear attractants in the truck. I know a bear can tear off a car door, but usually they don't. Several years ago someone posted a photo of an Airstream attacked by a bear. A large section of the inside and outside skin was torn aside, but the bear then had to get through a cabinet. That's when the bear gave up. He could have torn the door off, but didn't think of it. If you leave windows open, a bear can pull them off and may be able to climb in. A hard sided vehicle of any sort is a deterrent, but a determined bear can get in. I have carried bear spray in trailers for a long time and I understand wasp spray may work and shoots further. I have seen many bears from a car or truck, whether near my house or on travels to the north country. I never have met one while possessed of a gas pedal and am glad.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #45
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Oh, gosh-- if we're into bear stories.....

What do they call hikers' bear bells in Montana?

Dinner bells.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thank you for those participating. We returned from a wonderful tent camping trip further into the Gila and Apache National Forests (Reserve, New Mexico area) at 7500 to 8500 feet into the wilderness.

Those who participated in the two New Mexico Adventures with Airstreams will recall, 90% of access points that trailers cannot pass as roads, trails or ruts. Those forest service roads we used in this area, today are impassible for a trailer of any kind. We experienced what is now only ATV and serious 4x4 travel... and some thought when the roads were just passable...were sketchy!

We caught the warm days and the heavy Monsoons in the two New Mexico Adventures. This adventure caught the extremes in climate this June. Climate change, no doubt. Dry with extremes in lows and highs... not the mellow 2016 experience.

Remote access for our 4x4 Ford F350 provided thought to our Airstream to Tent Camping comparisons on this trip. Nancy and I have a whole list of comparisons of Airstream 'roughing it' and Tent Camping 'roughing it'!

We discussed the pros, cons and compared of our 23 foot Airstream, 25 foot Airstream and our 100% tent preparation and supplies that we also kept in our Airstreams.

For those of you who went from Tent to Trailer... is one thing. Going from Tent to Trailer to Tent... this you may want to hear. After unloading the pickup at home, a 'real shower' is my next goal and to sit back with some freshly popped 'pop corn' and some civilization.

Please keep posting the experience comparisons. This is stuff you do not find in a Service Manual or Trailer 'things to do' when campgrounds become... boring.

...so much for cleaning up for the trip home using less than two soda cans of fresh water. This shower at home is well deserved and a comfortable bed... there is 'no place like home'.

Many camping in a tent, anywhere in the Rocky Mountains, understand what a 'Two Dog Night' experience may be. Well, we experienced some of the most dramatic outdoor, isolated camping anyone could imagine. From the low 20's to low 70's.

We could have used a 'third dog' one evening.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tents to Airstreams

Ah, Ray, we remember those days. We still travel with at least four dogs in case of a seriously cold night.

Our best camping experience was San Diego to Washington state through the redwoods on the CA coast. Passed through Crater Lake on July 4 with 12 feet of snow on the ground at the summit.

Three boys aboard, youngest only 8 months old. Nothing like warming a bottle of baby formula at 0400 in torrential rain in the middle of a redwood grove. It’s a beautiful thing. We camped out of the back of a ‘77 Volvo station wagon for two weeks.

The next rig was a ‘79 GMC long wheelbase van I converted into a self contained boondocking rig. The old Volvo was in our family for 21 years, but was just too small for a growing family.

Much easier, warmer, and better camping. The boys could sleep on the floor, but usually pitched a tent.

All three of them are Eagle Scouts and love camping. Must have done something right, I guess, as they are all successful parents and have great jobs and families.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Beaverdam , Virginia
Hmmm...cross country road trip on the horizon

Well...Just got word that my daughter is considering a job in Seattle (and we live in VA). This may be our opportunity to throw the dog in the truck, hook up the AS Base Camp and work our way from park to park across the country this summer. This is the kind of trip I had in mind while hunting for the Base Camp. I’ll post updates if it comes together.
Bill
bkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkitchens View Post
Well...Just got word that my daughter is considering a job in Seattle (and we live in VA). This may be our opportunity to throw the dog in the truck, hook up the AS Base Camp and work our way from park to park across the country this summer. This is the kind of trip I had in mind while hunting for the Base Camp. I’ll post updates if it comes together.
Bill
Oh... Boy.... are YOU going to have an adventure. When you get to Denver, you can go West, Southwest or Northwest. Unlimited FREE camping.

Get yourself a small collection of Atlases with major passable roads to possible campsites. Mark down the location of good spots. Mark down the location of bad spots. Next year, five years or ten years later... you will have a perfected favorites.

Your Base Camp can get you into most, anywhere. It is the getting your Base Camp OUT...

Looking forward to reading and seeing photos on this trip... Uh... where is... Vigrinia?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:47 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Beaverdam , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Oh... Boy.... are YOU going to have an adventure. When you get to Denver, you can go West, Southwest or Northwest. Unlimited FREE camping.

Get yourself a small collection of Atlases with major passable roads to possible campsites. Mark down the location of good spots. Mark down the location of bad spots. Next year, five years or ten years later... you will have a perfected favorites.

Your Base Camp can get you into most, anywhere. It is the getting your Base Camp OUT...

Looking forward to reading and seeing photos on this trip... Uh... where is... Vigrinia?
Ray
VA is on the east coast by the Chesapeake Bay. It’s about as far east as you can get from Seattle. It should be an epic adventure. Just had a lift kit installed on the BC....just in case.

Bill
bkitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:01 AM   #51
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I still love tent camping. Not all of my vehicles are AS capable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	244149AE-4811-452E-8CB9-2D6C0219F719.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	673.3 KB
ID:	342624  

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
St. Catharines , Ontario
Love my Airstream, but I just like where a tent can get you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska-Tuk LR-429.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	342629  
ktmkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Bryan-
Take a hard look at the Aliners before you decide on an AS.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #54
GreenEyedTadpole

2019 19' Flying Cloud
2008 25' Classic
2005 31' Classic
2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Hartwell , Georgia
So, It Ain't Just Us!

We have tent (ALL sizes and places) and camper camped for 15+ years and enjoy both. They both serve different purposes and to us, fit different seasons of the year. Having previously owned three Airstreams: 30' Motorhome, 30' Classic, and 25' Classic we sold the 25' and decided to try other options that had caught our interest over the years. We bought a slide-in truck camper - too small and confining, a pop-up - great space but a pain to set up and always had damp feeling even with the A/C running, and a new Aliner Expedition - a MAJOR disappointment. So, long story short, we realized we compared everything to our standard, an Airstream. We bought a 2019 Flying Cloud 19CB and love it. We will either tent camp in the colder weather here in Georgia or will be in our Airstream when we desire more creature comforts. They're both equally portable and the right options for us.
GreenEyedTadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #55
MJAI

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
north Prince George , Virginia
Congratulations, I used to have a 20’Flying Cloud love it , had it for 8 years, until I retired, empty nester, and the hitching and unhitching gradually became very difficult have to let it go and get the 2020 interstate 19 I’m falling in love all over again.
MJAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Tents to Airstreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I still love tent camping. Not all of my vehicles are AS capable.

Like GettinAway and ktmkirby, I still love tent camping. I gave up motorcycling about 5 years ago but still do a lot of tent camping in my car if I am going more than 200 miles and I am by myself. I always bring my bicycle and sometimes my kayak.

I camped in August on the Susquehanna River and went to the Little League World Series.

Two weeks ago I camped in Brooklyn, NYC and last week I camped on the street with my Airstream in downtown Raleigh, NC for 5 days at the Wide Open Bluegrass Music Festival.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5004.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	353688Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	722.7 KB
ID:	353689Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5289.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	394.4 KB