Old 09-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Salmon is the bears favorite food.........be careful when fishing!! Man Fights Bear for Salmon - YouTube

Old 09-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Sixth year working in Yellowstone. You can safely store food in your Airstream anywhere in the park. It has been forever since a bear tried to break into any kind of vehicle here.

Mike

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
In Glacier Natl Park there are strict rules.You can't keep a cooler out unless you are in the campsite so we put ours locked up in the back of the 4Runner. Its OK to leave food in the trailer fridge (Casita trailer at the time) and in the cabinets. You can't leave portable grills out either. As long as you keep a clean campsite the chance of a bear encounter should be slim. I always clean my portable grill and wipe the cooler clean before putting them in the tow vehicle, locked and out of site when not in use. A lot of campgrounds will have bear boxes which could be utilized.

I remember back in the 60s when we tent camped in the now shut down Old Faithful campground a black bear came in and was sitting on a picnic table tearing into boxes of food left on the table. Bear traps were set up all over the campground. Nowadays, from what I understand its rare to see a bear in the campgrounds at Yellowstone unless on trails.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Campbell , California
Not just food

At yosemite, the rules for avoiding bear problems include more than just food and drink. Anything scented needs to be treated as food--shampoo, toothpaste, other scented toiletries, etc. All of that should be stored out of sight, preferably in a bear box. Drink includes bottled water. The bear doesn't know it's just water.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykabyka View Post
At yosemite, the rules for avoiding bear problems include more than just food and drink. Anything scented needs to be treated as food--shampoo, toothpaste, other scented toiletries, etc. All of that should be stored out of sight, preferably in a bear box. Drink includes bottled water. The bear doesn't know it's just water.
I understand that it is even against park regulations to pass gas in the night, if you have eaten meat for dinner. However, I believe RV'ers can get a "RV Flatulence Permit" if they sign a document stating that they will not open the RV vents, windows or doors until one hour after sunrise. Your RV will be sniff tested by random night patrols.

Ken