Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Storing food in bear country?

Just before getting bit real hard by the AS bug, we were camping near Yosemite and were warned to use the supplied bear boxes in the campgrounds. We were told not to leave any food in our cars. What do you AS owners do in bear country like, say the Tetons or Montana? Is it safe enough to keep food in the fridge and cabinets? I imagine a determined bear could do a lot of damage to our beloved AS.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
As an old bear hunter, I can tell you that a large black bear could do a lot of damage to almost any trailer. I have seen them rip apart cars, minivans, and pick ups. Tents and pop up trailers are especially vulnerable.

However, I have not seen many hard sided campers bothered by bears. Not sure why. Next week I'm going bear hunting for the first time in an Airstream. Pity the bear that bothers my Baby.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Bears may go for the pic-a-nik basket before your AS. Depends upon which smells the tastiest.

I do not recommend "electrifying" the shell of any AS. BUT IT WORKED FOR Jules Verne, Capt. Kirk and Thomas Edison. Also, someone might accidentally get hurt.

Rather, using a rope over a limb to raise grub out of sniff range may work....
Try to not get food scent on the rope. That will attract them.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Bears apparently have varied tastes. In a state park in Idaho, one chewed the heck out of a standard slinky type sewer hose that was connected between the trailer and one of those blue portable waste storage tanks. There were also muddy bear prints on the side of our Bigfoot trailer, where he had obviously looked in the window. I'm fairly sure that would have dented an Airstream. One of the inside screens on that window was torn, which must have been one of our cats getting in the bear's face.

It was probably Daisy (my avatar). She doesn't take much guff.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Those are good stories but I don't have a gun (yet) or an overly protective cat. So I'm assuming nobody strings up their food in an ice chest over a branch and just takes their chances with their food kept in the fridge. I'm also guessing if a bear box is available, one should place the ice chest inside. I was hoping someone could testify as to the odor sealing properties of a fridge but I guess there's no such thing as your average bear.
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Storing food in bear country?

Chances are slim that a bear would try to rip open an AS unless you leave something very fragrant out . Bear behavior is based on smell and sight. Often times they'll break in to a vehicle because of a visible cooler or other object of familiarity. Keeping a cleaned up interior and not having a visible target is key. Use common sense and make sure your food is put away and not visible, and as odor free is possible. Your AS is as safe as you're going to be in the wild . We're heading to Yellowstone in the morning from San Diego, I'll report on my bear advice....

Mark,
"on the road again"
Old 09-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
In some campgrounds you need to keep your grill out of sight or it will get stolen.
Not by bears, but by the park management.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Do any of you carry bear spray with you?
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
Do any of you carry bear spray with you?
I do in the North Country when canoe/backpacking, but not when ASng.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I live in bear country and usually have a visitor at least once a year. They come around to raid the bird feeders and anything else they can find like grills or open garages with refrigerators. I am amazed by how smart and strong they are. I have seen the damage done to a neighbors car for a pizza box.

The bears in the big western national parks are conditioned to check cars for coolers and food. It’s a pass down learned trait. You need to keep all your food in the trailer or the bear box. That includes snacks, gum, wine, soda, everything. Put your grills in the bear box too. In your trailer you want to clean up after dinner, no dirty dishes, food put away and garbage to the dumpster, especially if you keep windows open. There is usually enough commotion in the CG during the day, but at night is when you need to be a little more cautious.

I never carried bear spray until I was bluffed charged and face to face with a bear on her haunches standing taller than me. Luckily she had a cub up a tree and was just giving us fair warning. That was on the trail in the Tetons. I was also in Yellowstone in 2012 when they found the bear mauled remains of two hikers. I now always carry bear spray when hiking in bear country.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I spent August volunteering at Yosemite and as has been said before, keep a clean trailer inside of any type of food and my grill stayed in the bear box.
I saw 5 bears total and heard 1 in the campground one night.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What MOJO said. I have little experience with Grizzlies, but here is what I have found with about a dozen encounters with black bears. When in the wilderness, where the bear has little experience with human interaction, They are generally scardy cats. Unless YOU do something stupid, like leaving food out (including EVERYTHING like prescriptions and toothbrush, etc.); or you walk stealthily and surprise them. I have bear bells attached to my bear barrels just to be noisy when walking and to let me know if a visitor is messing with the barrels at night. even when they have cubs, make your presence known and pay attention, and you'll likely not even know they are near because they have skedaddled. However, in more populated areas, like National Parks, where STUPID humans have conditioned them to be more fearless, be very cautious. HUMANS make bears aggressive...or at least assertive (nuisance bears).

I just returned from the Boundary Waters last Saturday. The Ranger said that there hasn't been a single sighting this summer, due to an abundant berry year. They want nothing to do with humans, unless they are hungry and we have conditioned them to where the food is.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Been camping in bear country for over 50 years never had a problem.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Be Aware of your Neighbors in "Bear Country"

Hello Jeff. You cannot be too safe or too concerned about deterring bear activity at or near your campsite. Hunters in bear country know that just the frying of bacon in the morning will bring the possibility of bear in the evening. Bacon, frying fish or cooking any food(s) that YOU can smell will travel miles... to a bear's nose!

I posted a photograph of our trailer, the night before we left on a trip, with bear prints to the trailer and print marks of the front paws on the side of the trailer. He was looking inside the small window to the left of the front door. We know we have bear here and most neighbors take precautions. I say... most.

It is the camper next to you that leaves the picnic table full of left over hot dogs, buns, mustard, soda and soiled baby diapers in a bucket next to the pop up camper. BE AWARE OF YOUR NEIGHBOR(S).

Our sightings of bear in Idaho and Montana were after we were leaving our off the grid camp site and see a bear, or two, taking their time walking down the Forest Service road. Never while we were camping... but obviously they are making their rounds.

Bear are opportunists. Just ask about any sightings at the camp you are setting up to spend the evening. As a few campers. It is also a great way to meet interesting people. Be sure to look at other campsites. Although most of the problem people would be offended by your pointing out bear problems at their camp site, try to contact the camp host or flag down the first Forest Service truck you see and explain the situation. Sometimes the offending people are worse than the bear that might wander into the camp for a quick snack.

You cannot empty the trailer of all packaged foods. It is not practical. Do the sniff test and consider securing cantalope (whew), bacon grease and paper towels and anything that has an obvious smell... where trash belongs and foods with great odor. Bears can climb trees, so when hanging food baskets on a limb, make it difficult for a bear to access! Even a hiker that takes all of the precautions is never 100% safe from anything. You use your best judgment. Be aware of your surroundings. Find bear prints through your campsite... consider if you may want to move, or was it something else attracting the bear. The local Forest Service people can give you the best local information and current situations.

If you want to attract a bear... you now know how to increase your chances. If you DO NOT WANT TO ATTRACT A BEAR... do the opposite. Bear attacks are rare, but you do not want to be that "rare event".
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Salmon is the bears favorite food.........be careful when fishing!!
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Sixth year working in Yellowstone. You can safely store food in your Airstream anywhere in the park. It has been forever since a bear tried to break into any kind of vehicle here.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
In Glacier Natl Park there are strict rules.You can't keep a cooler out unless you are in the campsite so we put ours locked up in the back of the 4Runner. Its OK to leave food in the trailer fridge (Casita trailer at the time) and in the cabinets. You can't leave portable grills out either. As long as you keep a clean campsite the chance of a bear encounter should be slim. I always clean my portable grill and wipe the cooler clean before putting them in the tow vehicle, locked and out of site when not in use. A lot of campgrounds will have bear boxes which could be utilized.

I remember back in the 60s when we tent camped in the now shut down Old Faithful campground a black bear came in and was sitting on a picnic table tearing into boxes of food left on the table. Bear traps were set up all over the campground. Nowadays, from what I understand its rare to see a bear in the campgrounds at Yellowstone unless on trails.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Campbell , California
Not just food

At yosemite, the rules for avoiding bear problems include more than just food and drink. Anything scented needs to be treated as food--shampoo, toothpaste, other scented toiletries, etc. All of that should be stored out of sight, preferably in a bear box. Drink includes bottled water. The bear doesn't know it's just water.
mykabyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykabyka View Post
At yosemite, the rules for avoiding bear problems include more than just food and drink. Anything scented needs to be treated as food--shampoo, toothpaste, other scented toiletries, etc. All of that should be stored out of sight, preferably in a bear box. Drink includes bottled water. The bear doesn't know it's just water.
I understand that it is even against park regulations to pass gas in the night, if you have eaten meat for dinner. However, I believe RV'ers can get a "RV Flatulence Permit" if they sign a document stating that they will not open the RV vents, windows or doors until one hour after sunrise. Your RV will be sniff tested by random night patrols.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote