Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Southern New Mexico / Arizona during Thanksgiving

We're planning a trip to Southern New Mexico / Arizona during Thanksgiving (9 day trip). We're trying to avoid the freeze and the need to winterize so we'll want to stay south of the high country.

So far, we're planning on driving I-10 west out of central TX and into New Mexico and southern Arizona.

Are there any recommended free sites in this region?
(or paying sites that are great for that matter)

Thanks,

Jorn
jornvango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Some Great State Parks Along the Way...

As you travel west through southern NM, you pass the following:
Pancho Villa State Park
Rockhound State Park
City of Rocks State Park
Avoid the KOA in Las Cruces and any RV Park in Deming.
As you enter AZ, you pass a bunch more:
Triangle T Historic Ranch And Retreat Center in Dragoon, AZ
Kartchner Caverns State Park near Benson, AZ
Pichacho Peak State Park, north of Tucson

These are all places at which we have direct experience. There are many more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0793a.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	172130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	172131  

Name:	Tucson 04-02 008.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	172132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.a.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	172133  

Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I agree with Ken, we've stayed at almost all of those sites, as well. One thing to remember, it's getting chilly around the south east. the KOA in Benson is fine for overnight, away from the train tracks. I would add Catalina S.P. in Tucson to the list. And the KOA in Las Cruces (La Posta resturant is world famous) You could also come out to Ajo and visit with us at Shadow Ridge!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ooh! I Forgot the Best One!

Gilbert Ray Campground southwest of Tucson!
It's pictured in my earlier post. It has spacious spots and lots of room between neighbors (the 1976 Sovereign among Saguaro)
I'm happy that Mike Leary now recommends the KOA in Las Cruces. It was a nice RV park that became overrun transients in dilapidated trailers. Sounds like it may have been restored.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
WBCCI 1024,4CU

1985 31' Excella
Lake Havasu , Arizona
Organ Pipe is an outstanding peaceful location this time of year, We make sure to spend a week prior to the 4C Unit Pichacho Peak Rally over New Years. South of Ajo is the location if you make it over to Mike Learys neck of the woods.
shivtik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
I'm happy that Mike Leary now recommends the KOA in Las Cruces. It was a nice RV park that became overrun transients in dilapidated trailers. Sounds like it may have been restored.
Oh, oh, I hope so. It was three years ago when we were there. Great view to the east! Funny how KOA, with their claim to having the Kamps "inspected" every year, seem to miss some.: ( We've noticed a lot of parks that fall on hard times (bad management) and take on down-and-outers,which have been a bother and freaked us out so much I wished I packed a shot gun.) The Placerville, CA KOA was our worst episode. I hope the Gallup, NM KOA is closed, what a parking lot!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have stayed at all the parks/campgrounds mentioned above except Pancho Villa and Rock Hound in NM... but I know they are good ones, too. There's also Roper Lake State Park about 35 mi north of I-10 on 191 near Safford, AZ, and if you make it to the Phx metro area, there's Lost Dutchman State Park... and Patagonia Lake State Park between Patagonia, AZ and Nogales, AZ... If you see a 19' Bambi with the license plate shown in our avatar, be sure to say "hey"... we'll be out and about that time of year...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Might be a little chilly, but a neat side trip off NM I-10 would be up to Silver City to the nice KOA and then down 90 to Lordsburg and back to the I-10.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Might be a little chilly, but a neat side trip off NM I-10 would be up to Silver City to the nice KOA and then down 90 to Lordsburg and back to the I-10.
Having lived in NM and AZ much of the last 3 decades, I can say you are absolutely right about Silver--very nice, but it will be too cold this time of year if you want to avoid freezing temps. A better diversion is Elephant Butte about 40 minutes north of Cruces. Free parking at Elephant Butte State Park and my limited experience with the Elephant Butte Lake RV Resort (formerly Lakeside RV Resort) was very positive.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Hueco Tanks State Park in El Paso is very nice. You can bypass driving through downtown El Paso on the I-10 if you stop here. It did snow there one time in November when I stopped there. There is a nearby propane dealer.

Leasburg Dam State Park in Las Cruces is an inexpensive one night stop. There is no water in the dam or the Rio Grande River, it's been given to the farmers. This is the pretty much the case at Elephant Butte State Park as well...very low water level.

Just came from Rockhound State Park in Deming, New Mexico. Got pictures of cactus wrens building nests. During Thanksgiving it may fill up, so you may need reservations, although there are some first come first served sites if you arrive early.

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument has beautiful no hookup sites with generator & no generator areas.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
As you can see there are tons of great pay places wiith amenities on your way west. You did ask about free sites and there are some and I assume you mean dry camping or boondocking. In NM on I-10 they have several rest stops where you can overnite with restrooms/water and individual Ramadas. Stop at the welcome station north side of Lordsburg and they have a camping map.When you get to Az there are numerous BLM, NP's, and state lands you can dry camp so be sure to stop at the Az welcome station and get a free camping map listing these too.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is one RV Park in Deming I would recommend "Escapees" it is kind of a coop RV campground but open to non members. I agree with staying away from the other private RV campgrounds in Deming.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We're getting ready to leave. We're planning to make it to New Mexico sometime on Sunday and we're planning to camp south of I-10 (Rockhound SP and Pancho Villa SP) and north of I-10 (City of Rocks SP) to visit the area around Silver City.

Time permitting we'll drive into Arizona, or we're thinking about saving southern Arizona for our Christmas trip in a month ...
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
silver city rv park is right down town and is very nice with good rates.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson View Post
silver city rv park is right down town and is very nice with good rates.
Silver City RV Park is walking distance to some good restaurants, the shops on main street, and the museum.

The KOA is on the outskirts of town with better views, but not in walking distance of anything.

Take your pick, urban and nestled among the cottonwoods, or big sky.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Here's another option for Silver City: Rose Valley RV Ranch on the east side of town ... not too far of the main drag ... have stayed there a couple of times...

We might try Silver City RV Park next time...looks nice.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Big Bend is (kind of) right on your way. Actually, Big Bend isn't "on your way" to anything except Big Bend. Great place if you haven't already been. We boondocked there for Thanksgiving several years back - fabulous!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0406.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	172863  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Ditto for Rose Valley in Silver City, we just came from there yesterday..very nice park and not crowded like so many commercial parks. We are at Roper State Park, just northeast of Tucson, very nice state park with some great mountain views, trails and the natural hot tub.
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Big Bend is (kind of) right on your way. Actually, Big Bend isn't "on your way" to anything except Big Bend.
!
There are 2 totally different big (Texas big) parks in Big Bend. Big Bend NP which has your typical NP amenities and Big Bend State Park which was a ranch the size of Rhode Island. The state park has a popular annual Thanksgiving dinner. No paved roads. There is a upscale but reasonable RV Park at Lajitas which is in between the 2 parks on the west side of the state park is Palomas RV park which is basic and cheap but has the friendliest people I ever met.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We left on our christmas trip yesterday. We spent the night in Junction, on I-10. The temperature dropped to 27 F (which we weren't expecting) so the city water hookup looked like a popsicle in the morning. Good that we had some water left in our tank so we could shower.

We drove from TX today and are currently spending the night at the KOA in Lordsburg, NM.
Tomorrow morning we're planning to drive into Arizona and then head south to visit Fort Bowie and Chiricahua NM (followed by Bisbee, Tombstone, etc).

If we're lucky and find a place, we're hoping to camp in the Chiricahua NM tomorrow (Sunday) evening. Tonight it's supposed to go down to 30 F so we unhooked the city water and added some water in our tank (also to enable us to boondock in the next few nights).