Old 12-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
SOME Boondockers are real DIM LUMINARIES

Boondocking during the day is simple. Open the door and stick your head out to see what and where you are camped. At night it use to be... dark and DIM. Boondocking for the "brightest" is the point of this Thread.

FLASHLIGHTS.

Most gizmos we find interesting are found at our local Costco stores. The LED flashlights ARE sunlight in a "tube". Our first LED flashlight was about 5 inches long and 100 lumens. Then, regular introductions went to 300 lumens, 500 lumens and the latest, longest and brightest flashlight... 1000 lumens.

The five pound aluminum tube flashlight with four or five D Cells batteries is a match in a Football Field, compared to an exploding Sun Tube, less than six inches of pure white sunlight in a tube. These 300 to 500 lumen flashlights are sunlight in a tube. Our latest purchase of a 1,000 lumen... is still in the sealed pack. I am nervous about even opening it, sliding the four C Cell batteries into it... not knowing WHAT to expect. I am concerned that Permits, with your photograph, might be required to carry these concealed in a Pocket or Light Holster in the woods, public buildings or towing a trailer that does not indicate "1000 Lumen On Board" notice.

What does this have to do with Boondocking? There are times I want to know what is going "bump" in the dark while camped in the woods. This Star Wars Jedi light source... just the 500 lumen could discourage Darth Vader from breathing heavily for a moment is a wonder of engineering. Probably the most important invention since the invention of candles and wooden stick self igniting matches in a carton!

Since I have been reluctant to load the four C Cell batteries into the One Thousand Lumen Star Wars Jedi Light... has anyone else been brave enough to fire this thing up, yet? Having this much power in one mortal's hand is possibly more than most can retain control. An age requirement for use should be posted for those under 12 years and over 55 years old...

So you torch, candle and lantern carrying Homo Sapiens... when have you entered the 21st Century of actual Sunshine in a Tube revolution?

Caution: When using the 1,000 lumen flashlight, sun glasses may be required to avoid temporary blindness from just the reflection off of a shiny aluminum object parked in the woods.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Since I have been reluctant to load the four C Cell batteries into the One Thousand Lumen Star Wars Jedi Light... has anyone else been brave enough to fire this thing up, yet? Having this much power in one mortal's hand is possibly more than most can retain control. An age requirement for use should be posted for those under 12 years and over 55 years old...
Yes Ray, I have used my 4 C cell 1000 lumen flashlight from Costco. And it is great. The very best of my many flashlights. Yes, as a man, I have to have many flashlights.

The numbers: A 60 watt incandescent bulb produces about 800 lumens, and the big dog produces 1000 lumens. So, yep, lots of light, but it won't blind you or prevent you from having kids.

And only $20 on sale. BTW, it is not easy on batteries, and does not just grow dim as the batteries become exhausted, it goes out. Like OUT, now! So you never know if it has life in the batteries or not. Suddenly it will go from full bright to full dark, nada, nothing.

I love it.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
"Idroba: So, yep, lots of light, but it won't blind you or prevent you from having kids."
Too late to hear that. Somehow the "instructions" were from something else Costco must have been selling.

My "collection" of heavy power LED flashlights flash red on the end when the battery power is being sucked out of them. This must have been cutting corners on this magnum 1000 model. Non the less, I carry all calibers of flashlights for all occasions.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
What is it about men & flashlights??!! My husband & sons are addicted to them & if they find a bigger one, they get it...even tho they have a bunch...kinda like you guys

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
SOME Boondockers are real DIM LUMINARIES

Yes, sometimes you need to see what goes 'bump in the night', but those white lumens will ruin your night vision, restricting your sight to a narrow white tunnel. I use headlamps with a red LED for normal night navigation. Reserve the white searchlights for appropriate situations. Enjoyment of a truly dark sky is one of the attractions of boondocking.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Hi have a petzl headlamp it is 215 lumens ,it has a battery life of 10 hrs , the batterry is rechargeable, the headlamp is self adjusting output to conserve power and also not to blind you for when your looking at something close it will auto dim say if your looking at a campground map ,once you move the map away it auto adjust output depending on how far you look away ,it also auto adjust beam width from wide beam for close to say 20 feet then gradually auto adjust to narrow beam for distance, you can also operate it manual and it also emits a red light to preserve your night vision and it is also programable to what you want on your computer ,there is free software for this , it sells in canada for around $92 dollars , I had it for about a year and wouldn't trade it for any flashlight , you look like a winner wearing it, but once you try one of these headlamps you will not go back to a traditional flashlight, every person I know said you look funny wearing it but once they tried it they bought one and love it . Best part is you don't have to hold it and both your hands are free, and everywere you look the light follows your head movement .
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	229369  
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I use a LED headlight purchased from REI. Great for picking up my dog's poopies at night.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

You have to admit, a old 3 d cell mag light is pretty satisfying to hold. Go ahead, just admit it.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushmonkey View Post
You have to admit, a old 3 d cell mag light is pretty satisfying to hold. Go ahead, just admit it.
Like many good things gone by, this is one if them. I may still pack mine, just for protection alone.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's also a defense tool, just sayin'

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I converted all of my (all = more than 3) to LED's with the mag light kit, but they are still not as bright as the new stuff. And now they have the same "go out, not dim" feature that the new SOB's have. But I love 'em still.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:05 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
I recently purchased a handy little LED flashlight at the UPS store. very cheap, very bright. Also I have a 1,000,000 candle power rechargeable lamp that will fry eggs on the lens. This baby has so much torque if your towing Vehicle is stuck just position the lamp against the back bumper, turn it on and get out of the way. It'l push so hard the paint on the truck will slide back about a 1/4 inch. Beat that!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I am a self-described flashaholic. If you want a bright flashlight try an HID model. Whoo-da-thunk-it, but some nut-jobs actually are putting automobile HID headlight bulbs into flashlights.

I have a 35W HID flashlight that is rated to emit 3200 lumens/2700 lux at 25 feet (note that this is not located at the bulb like most flashlight specs). For comparison purposes a 4 D-cell Maglite produces 280 lux at 25 feet. It reaches out about 4000 feet when it is in it's spotlight mode. It beats the snot out of the 6,000,000 candlepower luggable unit that I bought at Costco several years back. On the downside it is much bigger than your everyday flashlight (but still operable with one hand), and it can't be purchased at Costco, or at Costco prices.

It works great with the IR filter that I purchased for it. When equipped with gen 3 night vision equipment, illuminating your subject by pushing 35W of white light thru the IR filter lets you see what everyone or everything in the campground is up to without them even knowing that you are there - even on the darkest nights.

It is highly recommended if you have already been bitten by the flashlight bug!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Anyone tried pointing one of these at their solar system ???

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote