Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

 
1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 156
AM solar does premium work for a premium price. $8k for the turnkey kitchen sink approach is probably reasonable if that's what you're looking for. It sounds like it's not.

How involved are you interested in getting with your electrical system? The more you DIY, the cheaper it gets ... unless you count the cost of your own time in labor and research.
__________________

__________________
1974 Overlander In Progress
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
time2play's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 323
TheGreatleys, Thanks for your response. We definitely have to do more research on this. We are not DIY'ers, so if we decide to go with solar, we're going to pay to have it done.

Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate your response.
__________________

__________________
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
gandttimes's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
TheGreatleys, Thanks for your response. We definitely have to do more research on this. We are not DIY'ers, so if we decide to go with solar, we're going to pay to have it done.

Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate your response.
As was mentioned somewhere back I think if you really want to learn for yourself about the whole solar issue then you need to read
?
__________________
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
gandttimes's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 702
Whoops!Meant to say, you need to read Handy Bob's solar blog.
__________________
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,006
This is a good place to start reading: http://www.amsolarrv.com/rveducation/
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #20
Rivet Master
 
gandttimes's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
This is a good place to start reading: http://www.amsolarrv.com/rveducation/
It is good reading but it is only one view. And that is from the retailer. The thing I like and respect about Bob Shearer is that he totally lives off the grid and probably has more real experience about solar than a retailer who is only trying to sell.
__________________
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
It is good reading but it is only one view. And that is from the retailer. The thing I like and respect about Bob Shearer is that he totally lives off the grid and probably has more real experience about solar than a retailer who is only trying to sell.
I don't really want to get in to a pissing contest with you about 'Angry Bob' and his obvious biases.

I'll simply remind you that Greg Holder, founder of AM Solar virtually started the RV solar field almost 30 years ago and has been living with solar for the same amount of time. As far as experience, when 'Angry Bob' has passed several thousand RV solar installations, as AM Solar has, you can start to talk to me about 'experience'!!

They are not simply a reseller, but also a solar panel manufacturer and designer and are responsible for bringing the GS-100 high efficiency compact 100 watt solar panel to market thru Grape Solar along with the first solar charge controller (Heliotrope) that was specifically designed for RV use.

DON'T MAKE 'FACTUAL' STATEMENTS ABOUT PEOPLE OR ENTITIES THAT YOU HAVE LITTLE TO NO FACTUAL KNOWLEDGE ABOUT!!!
__________________
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
SOLAR TECH ENERGY SYSTEMS, INC.
AM SOLAR ...MAGNUM…VICTRON ENERGY...LITHIUM & LIFELINE BATTERIESMARINE REFRIGERATION
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
gandttimes's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I don't really want to get in to a pissing contest with you about 'Angry Bob' and his obvious biases.

I'll simply remind you that Greg Holder, founder of AM Solar virtually started the RV solar field almost 30 years ago and has been living with solar for the same amount of time. As far as experience, when 'Angry Bob' has passed several thousand RV solar installations, as AM Solar has, you can start to talk to me about 'experience'!!

They are not simply a reseller, but also a solar panel manufacturer and designer and are responsible for bringing the GS-100 high efficiency compact 100 watt solar panel to market thru Grape Solar along with the first solar charge controller (Heliotrope) that was specifically designed for RV use.

DON'T MAKE 'FACTUAL' STATEMENTS ABOUT PEOPLE OR ENTITIES THAT YOU HAVE LITTLE TO NO FACTUAL KNOWLEDGE ABOUT!!!
Ditto!


George
__________________
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 360
We have 200 W (Zamp) on our FC 23D and that is sufficient for our boondocking purposes. Bay Area Airstream installed it. I like the Zamp sheets and didn't want to piece together a bulkier system.
__________________
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #24
New Member
 
2013 27' FB International
Bozeman , Montana
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
I got a 15k quote from precision rv!! Lol
__________________
GratefulDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
 
time2play's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulDad View Post
I got a 15k quote from precision rv!! Lol
Wow!
__________________
Yolanda (and Phil)
2013 30' Classic Limited
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 435
You could DIY a quality 400 W system for your Classic, like I did for mine, for less than $1500. You'll need some basic mechanical and electrical skills but it's not that difficult. It was made even easier since I was able to reuse the solar pre-wiring and CAT5 cable.
__________________
Al, K6IV
2015 30' Classic, "Chez Nu"
2014 RAM 2500 w/Cummins Diesel
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #27
Rich and Kat
 
AIRHEDS's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Annandale , Virginia
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
You could DIY a quality 400 W system for your Classic, like I did for mine, for less than $1500. You'll need some basic mechanical and electrical skills but it's not that difficult. It was made even easier since I was able to reuse the solar pre-wiring and CAT5 cable.
ALANO, can you please provide more details, and if inappropriate to post here, PM me? I thought I just read that the standard AS 10GA pre-wiring was not enough capacity to even add a third 80W panel. Or do I have this wrong?

Thanks,
Rich
__________________
Rich
2017 Classic 30', ProPride 3P Hitch, 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW w/ 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel and Retrax Pro MX Tonneau Cover
KB2ZMF
Save
AIRHEDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:21 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 435
The goal is to keep the voltage losses due to the pre-wiring to less than 3%. If your solar charger can handle a higher input voltage you can then stack identical panels in series. When you do this the output voltage of your solar array is doubled, the voltage drop due to the cable remains constant, and the voltage loss due to the pre-wiring is cut in half. To give you an example, I have (4) 100 W panels connected in a series/parallel configuration. Even with the 10 AWG solar pre-wiring in my 30' classic the voltage loss due to the pre-wiring is about 2%. I'm using a Blue Sky 3024 MPPT controller. You're configuration may differ but as long as you use a MPPT controller rated for series connected panels you can safely and efficiently reuse the existing solar pre-wiring.
__________________

__________________
Al, K6IV
2015 30' Classic, "Chez Nu"
2014 RAM 2500 w/Cummins Diesel
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zamp 160 watt portable solar dznf0g Generators & Solar Power 20 03-02-2016 07:10 PM
160W Portable Solar Kit (Zamp) chrij0ir 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 1 02-22-2015 12:53 PM
Zamp Solar-80w portable charging kit-questions EmoryRiver Generators & Solar Power 5 05-14-2013 03:25 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.