Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I was just curious about costs and efficiency. I don't feel a great need to add anything, but I seem to find something new to do every year. This year it is a new floor and making a new dinette table. A TV in the bedroom has crossed my mind, but I am trying to repress that thought.

Gene
If you ever get to Udvar-Hazy, check out those units. In a way, more valuable than the payload aboard those ICBM's. Awesome to actually see them.

A TV in the bedroom has crossed my mind,

The reasons for a solar bank are many. I always figured the "best" trailer can accommodate two couples or about [4] adults with varying agendas. A second "office" or "lounge" is therefore mandatory. The solar project is going to have a lot of wiring in power distribution, AFAICT.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #42
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Has anyone done objective tests of the gain in charging from tilting panels? What is the cost of the tilt kits?

I suppose I could jack up one end of the trailer but the fridge wouldn't like it.

Gene
A simple approximation is output = full rated output * cosine(angle of sun with respect to panel).

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
My wife ans I just spent over two weeks off the grid near Lake Havasu AZ. We charged the batteries with a 1000i Yamaha. One of the batteries failed. We replaced both of the batteries with the same Interstate Batteries that came with the trailer in 2010. After the replacement we had no further power problems.

Last fall I replaced all the lights with LEDs.

At one time I read (here I believe) about a flexible solar panel that was being manufactured in Prescot AZ. I stoped in Prescot, but was unable to locate the company.

Can any one refer me to a flexable solar panel supplier?

We are in the South West for another month and want to hire the Instalation.

Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayjensen View Post
My wife ans I just spent over two weeks off the grid near Lake Havasu AZ. We charged the batteries with a 1000i Yamaha. One of the batteries failed. We replaced both of the batteries with the same Interstate Batteries that came with the trailer in 2010. After the replacement we had no further power problems.

Last fall I replaced all the lights with LEDs.

At one time I read (here I believe) about a flexible solar panel that was being manufactured in Prescot AZ. I stoped in Prescot, but was unable to locate the company.

We are in the South West for another month and want to hire the Instalation.

Jay
In the movie "Who killed the electric car" the old guy who owned the company which manufactured solar panels, they had a flexible solar panel... I forget the name though! Go watch the movie and then watch the sequel, both were good.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Brandon
BrandonJenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We read the increase by appropriate tilting (i.e., at least 4X/year adjusting to correct angle for yur latitude), can relize 30 to 40% increase in solar gain versus flat panels. Likely works out to the cosine Bart offered, eh? We tilt only one panel, ours are mounted too close together to tilt both without the front one shading the other.

But the improvement is immense in two ways. We are, for the first time ever, picking up charging current by 7:30 a.m., and by 10 we are at float rate.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayjensen View Post

Jay

Jay,

Not an endorsement...

I have 30w of flexible ICP panels, used to keep batteries charged while on the pad.(before getting SP).
Not a practical option where we camp most often, although they did come in handy when our Xandex converter up-grade took a dump.

We all have our own boondocking preferences, a permanent solar array is not one of ours at this time.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
A simple approximation is output = full rated output * cosine(angle of sun with respect to panel).

- Bart
Bart,

I haven't seen a cosine since high school. Last time I saw one it was cavorting with a hypotenuse and they were both put in detention.

Without tilted panels, I get some charging current shortly after dawn.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #48
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Bart,

I haven't seen a cosine since high school. Last time I saw one it was cavorting with a hypotenuse and they were both put in detention.

Without tilted panels, I get some charging current shortly after dawn.

Gene
I expected the conversation would go off on a tangent

We see the same thing; I hear the controller relay click on shortly after sunlight hits the open vent. For summer camping, I don't need to tip the panels - they charge the batteries quite quickly. In the winter, we tend to use more lights and the sun is less strong, so we may not catch up completely every day. However, that's good enough for now. If I fit those tilt bars, I'll need to bring along a ladder to adjust 'em. I think it would be worthwhile if I were parked somewhere for weeks, but for a weekend outing which is what we can manage in terms of time off they're unneeded.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #49
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I expected the conversation would go off on a tangent
And that's never a good sine.

Our experience is the same with the panels. Camping in late October into November means conserving more power even with 200 watts, new batteries and upgraded converter. I do bring a ladder, but unless we find a significant need for tilting, it would be tilting at windmills for now. Of course, someone will come up with motorized, remote operated tilters and maybe they already have. I'll bet Lew could build it. Or just install a reflector at the back of the panel if you always park the same way (foldable to avoid wind issues when driving).

Gene
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Factory Solar?

We just ordered our 2012 30' Flying Cloud for delivery first week of April, with the factory installed solar and inverter system. Was this a mistake? Or is the factory system done right?
Old 02-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hibby,

I don't know about the factory system. The dealer installed an aftermarket one.

Gene
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

I think you can save money by pricing a system
separately .
My 92 had a sticker of $1,100 for the solar package, consisting of a 30w panel connected to the battery's.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
My dealer charged me $700 for the factory solar and controller (not including the inverter, which was another $637) and I think it's a 100w panel...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #54
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Hibby,

I think if your serious about getting a quality system for the best price the consensus would be to go to the aftermarket.

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
Hibby-
Conversely, if you're looking to grab your new 'stream & run out of town to play... You did just fine getting the pre-fab panels (I'm guessing that ship sailed for your order/purchase). Like anything else "techy" it's antiquated before you leave the dealer, at some point you just commit & go on your way... OR... you could park your AS in storage & spend months agonizing over panel choices, installation options, relays, pricing, etc.

Congratulations & enjoy you new toy!
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
mjayjensen-
There's a billion "flex" panels out there, but one of the big brands is BRUNTON. They have a lot of military contracts & rugged R&D on their products. I've used a few in dire circumstances with good results, but not in conjunction with my AS. REI used to & may still(?) carry them, if so you can try & return if not up to par-a rare treat for a "technical" item.
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Yes, I think for now, I'm going to "let the ship sail". I agree that perhaps I could do a bit better by going aftermarket in terms of cost or performance, but you're probably right about agonizing over the details. I'm big on getting the job done, so I can spend more time playing and less time fretting the small stuff.

If and when we decide to go on extended travel trips, which will surely wait until retirement is near, we'll perhaps upgrade to bigger and better. At that time, I'm sure that I will be able to buy a solar array that's the size of my cellphone and will power all of Manhattan. For $100!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
Yes, I think for now, I'm going to "let the ship sail". I agree that perhaps I could do a bit better by going aftermarket in terms of cost or performance, but you're probably right about agonizing over the details. I'm big on getting the job done, so I can spend more time playing and less time fretting the small stuff.

If and when we decide to go on extended travel trips, which will surely wait until retirement is near, we'll perhaps upgrade to bigger and better. At that time, I'm sure that I will be able to buy a solar array that's the size of my cellphone and will power all of Manhattan. For $100!
GOOD choice..git' out and enjoy!!!

Bob
Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Another thought for the portable or flex panels is GoalZero. We bought the "breifcase" unit that unfolds for emergency power. It is well engineered and constructed ... for temporary use but not as a permanent install.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote