Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Three Weeks of Pauper Power...

Nearly three weeks at higher elevations of Utah and Wyoming using Solar Pauper Power... without one complaint.

Nancy or I would move the one single 100watt solar panel as needed.

For the morning Sunrise, set the panel at a sharp angle towards Sunrise, after Sunset and let the panel do all of the work the next morning. I used a plastic milk crate and on steeper angles, added the five gallon plastic container of dog food to provide a bit more support for the panel.

Fred C. on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure had given me this idea from his mounting Solar Panels on his truck camper. "I installed everything myself and I imagine you have similar skills to do so, too." Fred did. I did...

We use only what power is needed at the moment. During the daylight, we could run the Fantastic Fans, water pump for our fresh water needs, radio.... etc. During the evenings, we used only those lights over the dining table, and conscious of what lights go on... are turned off when not needed.

If you want to run all of the interior lights, both Fantastic Fans and take a leisure shower... a RV Park is more to your level of consumption with full hookups.

Use the high battery power options during the day, like the water pump. The Solar Panel can then recharge the battery after use. We did this without exception. Even take an outdoor shower was very... refreshing!

The evenings at 6,000 to over 9,000 feet were cool and comfortable. We had Monsoon Showers off and on for three days. When towing, the tow vehicle provided chargingng.

Once we set up camp, Nancy set up the interior. I removed the Solar Panel from the top of the bed, set it up and was drawing solar in less than ten minutes.

By adjusting the angle of the Solar Panel directly into the Sun a 13.2volt+ charge was common. Stand in front of the panel and your shadow, standing in between the Sun and the Panel, was easy to get your 'timing' and maximum Solar Pauper Power.

I was taking notes on the fluctuation of the voltages, but after a couple days found it not my style and ditched the idea for lack of interest.

As Fred said, and now myself... I did it, you can as well.

Nancy and I would check the charging on the panel in the trailer with the Battery, Fresh, Black and Grey water readings. Who ever was wandering near the panel, would check their shadow and make any adjustments of the Solar Panel. It takes less than 15 seconds.

The panel never was blown off the props. No one managed to take the panel when we were not at the campsite.

This was an excellent test Off the Grid and maybe some day, someone who reads this Thread will try it and make their own comments.

I have done all that I can... to help with this easy option. If you have the will power... try it. You may like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5387.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	318987   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5394.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	318988  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5424.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	318989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5409.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	318991  

Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I tried to respond to a Private Message this AM and could not with some prompt about being 'down'.

If anyone has questions about setting this up, please post as there are many others who need that bit of confidence to attempt this. The first time needs one looking closely at the polarity of the wiring... only two... but you will figure it out how to wire it and buy small hardware to make it all work.

Once it is set up... the batteries get charged for minimal expense! Worked perfectly for me and I was totally satisfied. Boondocking was great.

Some say the posts are too... long. Well. Figure it out on your own. I tried to explain it as if you were standing next to me.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #63
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing that can come in very handy when trying to work out which wire goes where - a multimeter. Plus voltage goes to plus. The wire that shows a short to the shell is ground ...

Working that out when you are .... errr .... two hours from the internet and have a stiff / cold wind in your face .... is a lot easier with that $20 item in your toolbox. Yes, it *also* needs working batteries to be useful

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Many who read this thread are a bit apprehensive about attempting anything electrical. Just the thought of buying the Costco Solar Panel with Regulator for $120 delivered to my door was a big leap in... faith, that I could figure it out. The short instructions were as simple as the following them, step by step.

After using a long section of extension cord, buying hardware for the male and female plug, marking the + and - leads so they followed from Panel to Plug to Batteries... I felt satisified. I leaned the solar panel against the garage towards the Sun... and the small green diode lit up.

Whew. My voltage meter in the trailer jumped into the 13v and above!

Getting quotes to mount Solar on top of our Airstream were running $900 to $1200.

I did it for $120 plus some inexpensive hardware. It worked. Kept batteries topped off with a long cord where I could place it in the Sun, while the trailer was sitting beneath trees for shade.

I find mechanical fixes more to my liking. You see what needs to be done and do it.

Just be patient, plan ahead before putting everything together on a Solar Panel wiring. It is only TWO WIRES. Low Voltage.

At this time, only ONE Forum Member reported to do this. I asked that he report what his experience was like.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:42 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Did IT Again... and still Working

Post #64... DITTO.

I sold the 2014 and included the Costco Solar Panel.

Purchased the 2019 and had two 80 watt Solar Panels installed with AGM batteries from Las Vegas Airstream and they were wired properly, panels secured on the roof. They were charging the batteries before we drove off into the Sunset to Boulder City... with Hoover Dam electric power... not even needed to keep this thing lit up.

If that was not enough, Costco had a sale on their 100 watt panels for $120 plus State tax delivered to our door, again. The 2019 has a plug, + and -. The Solar Panel has a + and -. The included controller that came with the Costco panel and a + and -. The factory on the battery box has a Zamp Solar system ready to plug in with an external Solar Panel in the 2019, marked + and -.

I took the + of the controller, connected it to the + battery terminal on one battery.

I took the - of the controller, connected it to the other battery's -.

I took the Airstream's included plug that fits into the Zamp Solar outlet on the Battery box, wired the Solar Panel to the + and - wires. Plugged it in with my adding about 10 feet of extension cord, spliced and secured to move the panel around at will.

Put the Costco purchased Solar Panel in the Sun... The light has a green/yellow when not charging. When the battery voltage dropped... the CHARGING began.

Now with the two 80 watt panels and the 100 watt portable Costco purchase... our batteries are 100% every day.

This is so simple, add a second and wire the controller up the same and have TWO 100 watt panels for under $250.

Just follow simple instructions and you have saved enough to upgrade to 16 inch wheels and 16 inch Michelins! If a Yahoo, like myself, in basic electronics can do this... by following the + and -, you will have no problem.

Photo #61 is the 2014 25 foot International.

This is so easy if you just follow the + and -, why pay a thousand or more to have someone else 'do you a favor'? Have your... husband... help if you need to move the panel into the Sun and follow the polarity to the batteries.

Do not be shocked to find the Solar Controller has very thin wires to connect to the heavy wiring for the rest of the set up. If you can solder the wiring, best. Although you can use a twist cap and then wrap securely with all the black electrical tape you want to use. Buy 3M electrical tape. The cheaper stuff is exactly what you are paying for... cheap.

Call me Ray and sing You are my Sunshine, My only Sunshine... when the Sun is out. Not at night, but set it up at Sunset to catch the Sunrise Sun while you are in bed. This works. I am not making a cent off of this, unlike Honest Elvin the electrician.

If I need a second added panel... I do not know for what other than if YOUR batteries were dead... or a third, figure up the numbers. If it works... tell us about it.

If this does not work. Take photos of what you did, so we don't.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Solar Power Alternatives Off the Grid

After owning three new Airstreams, selling two as used, and currently traveling in a 27 foot International, what have we discovered?

This is the BEST Solar Power Alternative and least expensive.

What are yours?

Candle. Kerosene Lantern. Wind up powered Radio. Campfire?

Which of the above Four Items can you NOT haul in your Tow Vehicle or Trailer?
Attached Images